Would you vote for the other party in the election if they had a better candidate?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You've GOT to be talking about John Jenrette, the good ole boy from ABSCAM.

The day GW Bush lost me was in the aftermath of 9/11. He was on TV making a speech - hell, it may have been the one that night, pardon me, I was in a bit of shock like everyone - and he said something about how we were going to "rid the world of evil."

I'm sitting there listening to this and thinking, "This guy claims to be a Christian and if he is, he KNOWS FULL WELL that he can't do that, that evil isn't going to be removed until the very end of time." I thought that was a little bit too of a Messianic complex for me. And when he began pointing the sword towards Iraq, I suspected I knew what was up.

There's too many of them. I watched Falwell endorse a Klansman in 1980, too, at the same time Reagan was trying both to increase evangelical turnout and distance himself from a local Klan unit that had endorsed him (he threw it back and said "these folks don't understand modern America").
Yeah, it was John Jenrette who was an ABSCAM victim. To show how politics affect people, then and now; my BIL is a "yellow dog Democrat" in SC. Having a Republican lean in those days, I started to needle him about Jenrette being caught and headed to prison, and after a few minutes he looked at me and said, "He may be a crook, but at least he isn't a damn Republican". Fortunately we get along very well and this dust up was quickly forgotten.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
OK...for discussion purposes......what major TV stations/channels/networks should the folks be watching?

Notice I said major, because if you reply with anything other than a major network, you've made my point.
ABC, NBC, and CBS evening news for factual news and 'the Sunday shows' along with Morning Joe for balanced discussion and interviews.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In 1972 I voted for Nixon over McGovern, I was all for McGovern until he said he was behind Thomas Eagleton 1000% then fired him as a running mate the next day.

In 1980 I voted for Reagan over Jimmy Carter. The economy was terrible under Carter. The botched Iranian hostage rescue attempt was a factor as well.

In 1984 I voted Reagan over Mondale. Ronnie was a heck of a "Great Communicator".

In 1988 I voted H.W. Bush over Dukakis Hw was well qualified. Dukakis was a plastic man driving a tank.

As someone famous said " I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Party left me"
Good answer.

I'm having trouble finding a political home. The extremes of both parties have made thoughtful debate impossible. And media-fed vitriol makes it socially acceptable to trash the opposition at the most personal level.

It's no longer enough to disagree....we have to equate the opposition with all-time evil -- Hitler if you're blue trashing red; Stalin if you're red trashing blue.

I can't stomach Trump or Hillary or Benie Sanders or Roy Moore or Al Sharpton or Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schumer or Al LaPierre, yet they are all typical of the leaders of their parties.

We've reached the point that the Chief Justice of a State Supreme Court (Roy Moore) says he's not subject to the rulings of a federal court. And a bunch of cities (San Francisco included) are suing the federal government for levying sanctions in response to defiance of the lawfully passed acts of Congress.

Over the years, I've been told I have at least a passing facility with the English language. I'm out of words for the current situation.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
In 1972 I voted for Nixon over McGovern, I was all for McGovern until he said he was behind Thomas Eagleton 1000% then fired him as a running mate the next day.

In 1980 I voted for Reagan over Jimmy Carter. The economy was terrible under Carter. The botched Iranian hostage rescue attempt was a factor as well.

In 1984 I voted Reagan over Mondale. Ronnie was a heck of a "Great Communicator".

In 1988 I voted H.W. Bush over Dukakis Hw was well qualified. Dukakis was a plastic man driving a tank.

As someone famous said " I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Party left me"
Jimmy was not flying those helicopters.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Jimmy was not flying those helicopters.
Obama wasn’t in the Bin Laden compound, either, but he got the credit for it.

And a lot of what went wrong with those choppers was overseen by Jimmy and his party.

The real failure wasn’t the rescue mission, it was leaving the folks in the embassy when he knew what could happen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Of course, I can turn this around, too.

53 American hostages all came home alive, one early and the others in 1981.

242 Marines got blown up in a barracks in Lebanon with Mr Peace Through Strength making the biggest foreign policy blunder of his first term.

I think the easiest thing to do is say what Carter should have done.

The likelihood of succeeding at the helicopter raid was so low in the first place that not even the guys who were coordinating the rescue attempt gave it above a 10% chance of working anyway.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Of course, I can turn this around, too.

53 American hostages all came home alive, one early and the others in 1981.

242 Marines got blown up in a barracks in Lebanon with Mr Peace Through Strength making the biggest foreign policy blunder of his first term.

I think the easiest thing to do is say what Carter should have done.

The likelihood of succeeding at the helicopter raid was so low in the first place that not even the guys who were coordinating the rescue attempt gave it above a 10% chance of working anyway.
If I remember correctly, the failure of that rescue attempt was partly due to the absence of SOPs and training for such missions and it led directly to the creation of 120th SOAR who now specializes in difficult missions and flies SF and Rangers around today.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
If I remember correctly, the failure of that rescue attempt was partly due to the absence of SOPs and training for such missions and it led directly to the creation of 120th SOAR who now specializes in difficult missions and flies SF and Rangers around today.
Did you mean 160th?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's correct.

There were a lot of internal problems for that kind of warfare we didn't know. That's the major reason even the participants gave it little chance of working.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.