What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football League?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
As someone that thinks the NFL is in steep decline—for a number of reasons—I think there’s a market out there for a professional league alternative, more than ever before.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
As someone that thinks the NFL is in steep decline—for a number of reasons—I think there’s a market out there for a professional league alternative, more than ever before.
I don't buy that there is much of a market. People always say that in theory but, for example, no one really cares about the arena league.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I would love to see them bring the NFL down a few notches, or maybe completely.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would love to see them bring the NFL down a few notches, or maybe completely.
Won’t happen, and that’s the wrong strategy as well. The USFL died when they were coming up with crazy deals with the likes of Herschel Walker and Jim Kelly. The success of the USFL was due to semi pro regional aspect of it, and not the pro aspect of it. If this new league is going to succeed then they should stay away from being a “direct competitor” and stick to being a spring developmental league because the NFL will crush them.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Nothing happens on a kickoff ???

Kenyon Drake says hello... also, no onside kicks ?

Both of the above sealed the deal for us against Clemson in 2016.

So it's basically football for wimps ?
Oh I AGREE!!!!

BUT - It's where ALL of football MIGHT be headed, if major steps aren't taken to deal with Concussions at the JV and HS level - Which, as we are coming to understand, is where many of these guys suffer the greatest impairments, which are only aggravated at the College and Pro levels.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I like many of you abandoned the NFL because of the pathetic quality of competition which has sunk to abysmal levels and because these over paid players think no rules apply to them and they are on some higher plain of existence. They are football players, they are not curing cancer or bring about world peace.

There are good teams in the NFL but only a few and the rest are complete garbage and so most games are simply not competitive or end up in a punting contest.

As for Birmingham, it might be ok if two things happened, for one if Birmingham's new football stadium downtown was already built, and two if the league's sole reason for putting a team in Birmingham was NOT to be a sacrificial lamb for big market teams to pummel every week. They have some big name and experienced coaches in this league but apparently are giving Birmingham some guy that I've never heard of, who has been unemployed for three years and has never been a head coach at any level in his life. Seriously... That's the best they could do?

Birmingham isn't the football town it used to be and they certainly won't support a team that is set up by design for failure.

I mean the XFL gave us Gerry Dinardo.... You can't tell me they were anything more than a "Vandy" to beat up on.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I watch the NFL because I like football. But if I have something else to do Sunday, I’m fine with that.

But the big bucks and the kneeling don’t bother me.

The USFL might have lasted a little longer if they don’t try to move to the fall. But I think they die out eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think what’s funny is that many look at headlines saying “the nfl viewership is falling” and think that means college is catching up. But they really don’t actually look at the ratings and compare or factor that cable service is in general down. I mean is you look and compare the semi finals and the conference championship games this past year the NFL wins by a pretty considerable margin. Let alone the SB vs NCG. Yeah I know someone would probably argue, “ well what about the regular season in college vs nfl” I’m still fairly confident that the NFL still wins in prime time, marquee , and garbage matchups game for game vs college.

The point is the NFL isn’t going anywhere. And no league can replace it if individual college games can’t come close in matching them.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think what’s funny is that many look at headlines saying “the nfl viewership is falling” and think that means college is catching up. But they really don’t actually look at the ratings and compare or factor that cable service is in general down. I mean is you look and compare the semi finals and the conference championship games this past year the NFL wins by a pretty considerable margin. Let alone the SB vs NCG. Yeah I know someone would probably argue, “ well what about the regular season in college vs nfl” I’m still fairly confident that the NFL still wins in prime time, marquee , and garbage matchups game for game vs college.

The point is the NFL isn’t going anywhere. And no league can replace it if individual college games can’t come close in matching them.
Along those lines....

"Sunday Night Football" Is TV's Highest Rated Show For 7th Straight Season

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Exactly. College is not close to the NFL in viewership/ratings. People who doubt the quality of competition don't watch it or watch it close enough. It is the best players in the world playing my favorite game so I watch it. And you are right it is not going anywhere and no one will come close to knocking them off. So much money.........

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like many of you abandoned the NFL because of the pathetic quality of competition which has sunk to abysmal levels and because these over paid players think no rules apply to them and they are on some higher plain of existence. They are football players, they are not curing cancer or bring about world peace.

There are good teams in the NFL but only a few and the rest are complete garbage and so most games are simply not competitive or end up in a punting contest.
There are a lot of reasons to not like the NFL, but this stuff doesn't make my list. There is far more parity in the NFL than in college football. The games are much closer, and aside from a few really bad teams, any team can beat any other team on a given weekend.

As for the players - we see the exact same behavior in HS and college. The money that they are being paid is not the problem - it is their "celebrity". They have been treated like stars their entire lives, often starting before their 10th birthday.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The mayor of Birmingham wants the team to sign Kaepernick.

I just don’t see that ending well.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
The Birmingham team has already failed. They don't understand that people don't want to go to Legion Field in the middle of that neighborhood. They might if the stadium had more parking and was more secure but having to park on the street and pay a kid $20 not to do something to your car is not what people want. You can also mention that the stadium is run down and not fan friendly.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
The Birmingham team has already failed. They don't understand that people don't want to go to Legion Field in the middle of that neighborhood. They might if the stadium had more parking and was more secure but having to park on the street and pay a kid $20 not to do something to your car is not what people want. You can also mention that the stadium is run down and not fan friendly.
hopefully...hopefully.......the new stadium downtown in the planning stages and scheduled to be up and ready by late 2020-early 2021 will take care of the issue you mentioned.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They should do it. Then it will be really funny when he gets benched for the backup because he just isn't good enough.
I wouldn’t sign him because it would be a PR nightmare. But whoever the QB is won’t be much better. If he is any good, he’ll be in the NFL.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Not having a decent stadium is a serious issue, and the cost of said stadiums is really separating the haves and have nots of the world, isn't it? Imagine how San Diego feels now? St. Louis?

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.