What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football League?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
As long as they stay in the spring and don't try to compete with the NFL, I think it will work. It could be fun. I'd love to have some football to watch in the spring.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The Alliance of American Football (AAF) starts their first season this coming Sunday. Their regular season runs Feb. 9 - April 14, so will provide some football for those who wish it in what normally would be considered "football doldrums" - more or less.

I'm excited and will be watching.

Key rules to know

Ebersol has made it a point to note that there's more that makes the AAF and the NFL similar than different. That said, the AAF has introduced a handful of interesting, key differences that separate it from the NFL.

• Play clock: The AAF's play clock will be 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than the NFL's. Anything less, Ebersol believes, will actually make the games longer due to sloppier play that results in stoppages through incomplete passes, penalties and the like.
  • Timeouts/challenges: There are no television timeouts during games and an ongoing effort to have fewer commercials to reduce overall game time to roughly 150 minutes instead of 180 minutes in the NFL. Additionally, replays will be limited to two coach's challenges for either team.
  • Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game.
  • Two-point conversions: There will be no extra point attempts after touchdowns, only two-point conversions.
  • Overtimes: To help keep games within a two-and-a-half hour time slot, there will be one overtime session. Each team will start an offensive possession from the 10-yard line, and just like in regulation, two-point conversions are required. Games can end in a tie after the overtime period.

Schedule:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The Alliance of American Football (AAF) starts their first season this coming Sunday. Their regular season runs Feb. 9 - April 14, so will provide some football for those who wish it in what normally would be considered "football doldrums" - more or less.

I'm excited and will be watching.

Key rules to know

Ebersol has made it a point to note that there's more that makes the AAF and the NFL similar than different. That said, the AAF has introduced a handful of interesting, key differences that separate it from the NFL.

• Play clock: The AAF's play clock will be 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than the NFL's. Anything less, Ebersol believes, will actually make the games longer due to sloppier play that results in stoppages through incomplete passes, penalties and the like.
  • Timeouts/challenges: There are no television timeouts during games and an ongoing effort to have fewer commercials to reduce overall game time to roughly 150 minutes instead of 180 minutes in the NFL. Additionally, replays will be limited to two coach's challenges for either team.
  • Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game.
  • Two-point conversions: There will be no extra point attempts after touchdowns, only two-point conversions.
  • Overtimes: To help keep games within a two-and-a-half hour time slot, there will be one overtime session. Each team will start an offensive possession from the 10-yard line, and just like in regulation, two-point conversions are required. Games can end in a tie after the overtime period.

Schedule:

Interesting rules. I believe I heard on the radio that the first two Saturday games listed will be televised by CBS (not CBSSports) in primetime.

BTW, go Birmingham Iron. Trent Richardson and Blake Sims are on the team (there may be other Bama players).

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I like the overtime rule. Both teams get a shot is they way it should be. I will probably have to rely on you guys to get info on former Bama players. Atlanta having a team means I will only hear about former UGA players.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Yeah!More Maroon 5 looking Aaron Murray!!! :pDT_alc: (Facetious)...
I like the overtime rule. Both teams get a shot is they way it should be. I will probably have to rely on you guys to get info on former Bama players. Atlanta having a team means I will only hear about former UGA players.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Some of these rules will make it very interesting. You know the NFL will be watching.

A tweet that I saw showed the Las Vegas oddsmakers thinking that the Iron will finish last this year.

rtr

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It looks as if the NFL isn't out to kill this league as it did the USFL. Half the games will air on the NFL network. They may be wanting to use it as a farm system.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Does Birmingham have the most players from Alabama? I haven't done a search, yet.

Nor have I for Gators, but suspect most are playing for Orlando.

It will be pretty cool to have the occasional game thread here for some of these games. In the Spring!

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Does Birmingham have the most players from Alabama? I haven't done a search, yet.

It will be pretty cool to have the occasional game thread here for some of these games. In the Spring!
The league is set up that way with territories to spur interest so that is likely the case.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

A look at the 'Ham franchise showed 10 on roster.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think that in the beginning there will be 'regional' teams like B'ham having something like 16 guys with Alabama ties on the roster, but eventually what I think the NFL would like to see would be JUCO guys who just don't want to play at a four year school, guys like that, in the league, as a talent pool for the NFL.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.