What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football League?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, Coach Tressel went back home to coach football and they made him the university president. It wound up being a great ending to his story.

I always liked that guy. I sort of equate him to Coach Stallings in that the players changed somewhat while he was coaching, and he was a bit of a victim of circumstances that he couldn't really control. Yeah, may have gone a little far trying to protect his players, but there was a time when all coaches did that and they didn't have to worry about an all-encompassing media digging deeper and reporting the falsehood. Guys like Coach Saban understand a lot better how the media works than did Coach Stallings, and I think that Tressel falls into that same category.

rtr

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Maybe it's the post-super bowl anxiety of not having real football for half a year.... but I'm actually pretty excited to watch this. Especially Blake Sims and Trent.

Need something to keep me from having to watch the NBA.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
For something that is brand new, the more exposure you can get, the better. So why in the world, on the very first night of this brand new league, did they schedule both games at the same time. They should have been staggered and made it an all day event IMO.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Watching ATL vs ORL. I have yet to see or hear them mention a college team that any player played for. I’m going to need some collegiate context if they’re going to keep me interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Watching ATL vs ORL. I have yet to see or hear them mention a college team that any player played for. I’m going to need some collegiate context if they’re going to keep me interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ve heard them mention several of the players’ college team. I’m at a loss as to what an illegal defensive formation is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
All of these players played in the NFL, so that's who you'll hear mentioned before any reference to their college.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Not all of them played in the NFL. They mentioned one guy who hasn’t played football since high school.

Some of the rule changes I really like and some I hate. I like not kicking extra points and having to go for 2.

I hate not having kickoffs. It just eliminates too much from the game IMO. Because of that rule, they also have this odd onside kick rule. Replacing onside kicks is you get a 4th and 12 attempt from your 28 yard line. You can only do it if you trail by at least 17 or there is less than 5 minutes left in the 4th.

If college used those rules we probably don’t beat Clemson in our first NCG match up against them. That amazing onside kick would never had happened. We weren’t trailing by 17 and it wasn’t late in the 4th so, we wouldn’t have been able to try that goofy 4th and 12 play. No kickoffs mean no Drake TD return.

Those 2 rule changes just take away so much from the game and make it easier for teams to hold onto a lead IMO. Teams will not have a chance to steal a possession or points and can’t flip the field with a great return.

So, is this league built with TV money or are they counting on butts in the seats? The crowds look small, especially in Orlando because that is already a small stadium. This may be a bad sign if they are counting on full houses.

Honestly, they should have delayed the start of the season. The Super Bowl was just 1 week ago. Signing day was this week. No one was craving football yet. If this league didn’t start for another month, people would be craving some games more.

Anyway, I’m a baseball fan and spring training starts next week so, football will be #2 in my house until September (or late August).

EDIT: Are these refs NFL refs, college, NFL/college rejects or something new?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not all of them played in the NFL. They mentioned one guy who hasn’t played football since high school.

Some of the rule changes I really like and some I hate. I like not kicking extra points and having to go for 2.

I hate not having kickoffs. It just eliminates too much from the game IMO. Because of that rule, they also have this odd onside kick rule. Replacing onside kicks is you get a 4th and 12 attempt from your 28 yard line. You can only do it if you trail by at least 17 or there is less than 5 minutes left in the 4th.

If college used those rules we probably don’t beat Clemson in our first NCG match up against them. That amazing onside kick would never had happened. We weren’t trailing by 17 and it wasn’t late in the 4th so, we wouldn’t have been able to try that goofy 4th and 12 play. No kickoffs mean no Drake TD return.

Those 2 rule changes just take away so much from the game and make it easier for teams to hold onto a lead IMO. Teams will not have a chance to steal a possession or points and can’t flip the field with a great return.

So, is this league built with TV money or are they counting on butts in the seats? The crowds look small, especially in Orlando because that is already a small stadium. This may be a bad sign if they are counting on full houses.

Honestly, they should have delayed the start of the season. The Super Bowl was just 1 week ago. Signing day was this week. No one was craving football yet. If this league didn’t start for another month, people would be craving some games more.

Anyway, I’m a baseball fan and spring training starts next week so, football will be #2 in my house until September (or late August).

EDIT: Are these refs NFL refs, college, NFL/college rejects or something new?
I think the idea is to be a “true” minor league for the NFL and CFL. I think I heard that the sponsor franchises hold up the league and the teams and the AAFL teams try to generate as much local excitement as possible. It’s basically NFL Europe with more control given to the NFL teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.