What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football League?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If they aren’t having kickoffs, you should be able to do the 4th and 12 thing at any point.

The OT is stupid. Only one possession starting from the 10 and no field goals. I foresee a lot of ties in OT games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think this and the XFL giving it a go around the same time was a really bad idea. Now they're competing with each other as well as everyone else. So, for instance the Alliance gets Spurrier, and the XFL gets Stoops. The XFL also gets Oliver Luck, who has NFL Europe experience for example. Furthermore, the Alliance is inspired by the XFL. If they don't merge soon they'll just weaken each other.

I don't see this ending well. I had it on and the first thing my wife asked was "Is this Arena League? Because this looks like Arena League". She had a point.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think this and the XFL giving it a go around the same time was a really bad idea. Now they're competing with each other as well as everyone else. So, for instance the Alliance gets Spurrier, and the XFL gets Stoops. The XFL also gets Oliver Luck, who has NFL Europe experience for example. Furthermore, the Alliance is inspired by the XFL. If they don't merge soon they'll just weaken each other.

The difference is that the AAFL is somewhat affiliated with the NFL, and the XFL is not. The XFL is trying to be the USFL (their own league) and the AAFL is trying to be the NFL Europe (a farm system). I think the AAFL is the better model to pursue.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The difference is that the AAFL is somewhat affiliated with the NFL, and the XFL is not. The XFL is trying to be the USFL (their own league) and the AAFL is trying to be the NFL Europe (a farm system). I think the AAFL is the better model to pursue.
Is there any real affiliation at all though? The NFL Europe was owned by the NFL but..

I'd also point out that the NFL pulled the plug on NFL Europe, despite growing attendance (their final year had NFL Europe record attendance). I actually went to NFL Europe games (I think I told the story here about my wife getting season tickets from Oliver Luck), the German support was actually pretty good all things considered. It just wasn't financially worthwhile to the NFL under that model and they didn't really seem to care about a growing market in Germany (fun fact, the Rhein Fire cheerleaders still exist).

If it wasn't worthwhile under those circumstances, it's hard for me to understand why they would be now when the AAFL isn't even opening up new markets.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Is there any real affiliation at all though? The NFL Europe was owned by the NFL but..

If it wasn't worthwhile under those circumstances, it's hard for me to understand why they would be now when the AAFL isn't even opening up new markets.
I think the lack of a true call up system was an issue with the NFL Europe along with fan support. I think the AAFL is atleast addressing the former by designating 4 NFL teams per AAFL team (Bham has NE, PIT, CLE, and BUF). The NFL Europe was a free for all instead of a true farm system. I think this model is probably the best that we could've hoped for. I believe the XFL is probably in a worse situation than the AAFL because they are trying to distance themselves from the NFL.

FWIW I'm not saying this thing is going to be a success, but it sounds better than what we have had from semi pro leagues since when the USFL started "competing" with the NFL.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think there is a chance the AAF will survive, but it will be like the people who love watching the Birmingham Barons: you go because you love the game and it is a pleasant way to spend time. I don't know how they will make it profitable or ever survive without the support of the NFL, but as someone said somewhere, it provides a chance for coaches, administrators, trainers, players, etc. I hope it works out.

Rtr

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
There aren't any real ties to the NFL yet but it will happen if the league makes an impression. The fact half of the games are on the NFL network is a sign they are taking a hard look. If the XFL does as well as the AAF, look for the two to merge. I don't believe any franchises are in the same cities.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
There aren't any real ties to the NFL yet but it will happen if the league makes an impression. The fact half of the games are on the NFL network is a sign they are taking a hard look. If the XFL does as well as the AAF, look for the two to merge. I don't believe any franchises are in the same cities.
Allow me to introduce you to Vincent K. McMahon.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
. The fact half of the games are on the NFL network is a sign they are taking a hard look. .
XFL is taking the ESPN, ABC, and possibly CW channels so I don't think Vince is playing for a merge or trying to develop a farm league. I think he is doing the same thing as he did last time, but he isn't going as all out about it (atleast not yet). He is trying to make the second USFL.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
XFL is taking the ESPN, ABC, and possibly CW channels so I don't think Vince is playing for a merge or trying to develop a farm league. I think he is doing the same thing as he did last time, but he isn't going as all out about it (atleast not yet). He is trying to make the second USFL.
Its going to be fun to watch how it all turns out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.