What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football League? - Page 7
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football Leag

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    They should do it. Then it will be really funny when he gets benched for the backup because he just isn't good enough.
    I wouldn’t sign him because it would be a PR nightmare. But whoever the QB is won’t be much better. If he is any good, he’ll be in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football Leag

Not having a decent stadium is a serious issue, and the cost of said stadiums is really separating the haves and have nots of the world, isn't it? Imagine how San Diego feels now? St. Louis?

rtr

BamaNation All-American Probius's Avatar

As long as they stay in the spring and don't try to compete with the NFL, I think it will work. It could be fun. I'd love to have some football to watch in the spring.
    “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” - The Buddha

Formerly Crimson Flyboy.

The Alliance of American Football (AAF) starts their first season this coming Sunday. Their regular season runs Feb. 9 - April 14, so will provide some football for those who wish it in what normally would be considered "football doldrums" - more or less.

I'm excited and will be watching.

Key rules to know

Ebersol has made it a point to note that there's more that makes the AAF and the NFL similar than different. That said, the AAF has introduced a handful of interesting, key differences that separate it from the NFL.

• Play clock: The AAF's play clock will be 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than the NFL's. Anything less, Ebersol believes, will actually make the games longer due to sloppier play that results in stoppages through incomplete passes, penalties and the like.
    • Timeouts/challenges: There are no television timeouts during games and an ongoing effort to have fewer commercials to reduce overall game time to roughly 150 minutes instead of 180 minutes in the NFL. Additionally, replays will be limited to two coach's challenges for either team.
    • Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game.
    • Two-point conversions: There will be no extra point attempts after touchdowns, only two-point conversions.
    • Overtimes: To help keep games within a two-and-a-half hour time slot, there will be one overtime session. Each team will start an offensive possession from the 10-yard line, and just like in regulation, two-point conversions are required. Games can end in a tie after the overtime period.

Schedule:

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    The Alliance of American Football (AAF) starts their first season this coming Sunday. Their regular season runs Feb. 9 - April 14, so will provide some football for those who wish it in what normally would be considered "football doldrums" - more or less.

I'm excited and will be watching.

Key rules to know

Ebersol has made it a point to note that there's more that makes the AAF and the NFL similar than different. That said, the AAF has introduced a handful of interesting, key differences that separate it from the NFL.

• Play clock: The AAF's play clock will be 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than the NFL's. Anything less, Ebersol believes, will actually make the games longer due to sloppier play that results in stoppages through incomplete passes, penalties and the like.
    • Timeouts/challenges: There are no television timeouts during games and an ongoing effort to have fewer commercials to reduce overall game time to roughly 150 minutes instead of 180 minutes in the NFL. Additionally, replays will be limited to two coach's challenges for either team.
    • Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game.
    • Two-point conversions: There will be no extra point attempts after touchdowns, only two-point conversions.
    • Overtimes: To help keep games within a two-and-a-half hour time slot, there will be one overtime session. Each team will start an offensive possession from the 10-yard line, and just like in regulation, two-point conversions are required. Games can end in a tie after the overtime period.

Schedule:

Interesting rules. I believe I heard on the radio that the first two Saturday games listed will be televised by CBS (not CBSSports) in primetime.

BTW, go Birmingham Iron. Trent Richardson and Blake Sims are on the team (there may be other Bama players).

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    BTW, go Birmingham Iron. Trent Richardson and Blake Sims are on the team (there may be other Bama players).
    Also:
    J.C. Hassenauer
    Dominick Jackson
    Korren Kirven
    Brandon Greene
    Josh Frazier
    Xzavier Dickson
    Bradley Sylve
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Also:
    J.C. Hassenauer
    Dominick Jackson
    Korren Kirven
    Brandon Greene
    Josh Frazier
    Xzavier Dickson
    Bradley Sylve
    If they win will they play Rammer Jammer afterwards? LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I like the overtime rule. Both teams get a shot is they way it should be. I will probably have to rely on you guys to get info on former Bama players. Atlanta having a team means I will only hear about former UGA players.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Yeah!More Maroon 5 looking Aaron Murray!!! (Facetious)...
    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I like the overtime rule. Both teams get a shot is they way it should be. I will probably have to rely on you guys to get info on former Bama players. Atlanta having a team means I will only hear about former UGA players.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by rjtide View Post
    hopefully...hopefully.......the new stadium downtown in the planning stages and scheduled to be up and ready by late 2020-early 2021 will take care of the issue you mentioned.
    Problem with that is this league has to survive that long for it to make a difference

BamaNation All-SEC

Some of these rules will make it very interesting. You know the NFL will be watching.

A tweet that I saw showed the Las Vegas oddsmakers thinking that the Iron will finish last this year.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame

It looks as if the NFL isn't out to kill this league as it did the USFL. Half the games will air on the NFL network. They may be wanting to use it as a farm system.

Does Birmingham have the most players from Alabama? I haven't done a search, yet.

Nor have I for Gators, but suspect most are playing for Orlando.

It will be pretty cool to have the occasional game thread here for some of these games. In the Spring!