What ex-college football coach is next to join Alliance of American Football League?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
It would be nice to have a viable spring league where players who just miss out on an NFL roster or trying to return to the NFL can continue to play and possibly make an NFL team latter. It could give such players like Trent Richardson another avenue besides the CFL.
I actually like the CFL and wish we had better access to it. I don't like the thing where everyone is in motion, but the rest of it I can live with. I would rather see Trent fight his way back through the CFL than sign up with a league where he might not even get paid.

Rtr

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Spurrier's name doesn't lend the league any credibility. Add Neuheisel and it becomes a league for quitters and/or has-beens. Is there an over/under on how many losses the head ball coach will absorb before he 'retires' again? I'd pick 3.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
No offense, Bazz, but count me out.
Hey, no offense take, Gray. I don't have a dog in the hunt other than I pretty much quit watching the NFL because of the prima donna syndrome so am interested to see how this plays out as a sports option in the Spring.

And the rule changes will make watching more interesting.

Plus having our former head coach back on the sideline again will be very cool.

I'm also very interested in seeing how many other coaches and players sign up.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I love football and will give it a chance, but if it wants to create fans quickly the key is having talented players - and at least a few on each team have to be recognizable. Great coaches mean that the play will probably be respectable, but I don't watch the Patriots to see Belichick on the sidelines.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don’t think there is room in the public’s attention span for two leagues like this. The XFL will probably do better due to its name and deeper pockets. But I doubt either last very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don’t think there is room in the public’s attention span for two leagues like this. The XFL will probably do better due to its name and deeper pockets. But I doubt either last very long.

What months of the year will the XFL be playing their games in? That would surely be a factor.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just a guess. I don’t even know who is backing this other league.
I'd guess it comes down to who will blink first - AAFL is far more diversified:

"The Alliance of American Football is backed by investors including Peter Thiel’s Founders Fund, Slow Ventures, Peter Chernin’s Chernin Group, Adrian Fenty and Charles King’s M Ventures, Keith Rabois, and former NFL all-pro Jared Allen. The AAF is not disclosing how much funding it has raised, but “we are confident we have the right team and long-term financial resources in place to ensure fans will experience high-quality professional football for many seasons to come,” Ebersol said in a statement."

https://variety.com/2018/digital/ne...l-league-cbs-2019-charlie-ebersol-1202731190/

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The AAFL already has a deal with CBS. They are a year and a half ahead of the XFL right now. That XFL announcement was meant to drum up excitement and attract investors. I think the AAFL ultimately hurts the XFL's chance to get investors and I'm not sure the XFL ever "kicks off".

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think starting first gives them an advantage. Plus some people still think of the XFL as a joke. I also foresee the XFL getting political with it starting in 2020, but I won’t go any further than that. If that happens, it could turn a lot of people off.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Nothing happens on a kickoff ???

Kenyon Drake says hello... also, no onside kicks ?

Both of the above sealed the deal for us against Clemson in 2016.

So it's basically football for wimps ?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I fully expect the NFL to eventually eliminate kickoffs, which obviously would eliminate onside kicks as well.

So, if a team wanted to take the onside option, and there are no kicks, maybe they will just have to roll an 8-sided dice to determine their success or failure. Thus giving a football game a slight touch of Dungeons & Dragons vibe. I can see the basement dwellers excitement over their future star status now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.