Weird News: London Mayor calls for KNIFE control

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Thank you. I'd love to hear you expound on this a bit, if you're willing.
I'd imagine it's similar to gun control in that we'll see it from completely opposite viewpoints.

I believe in the inevitability of escalation by availability.

2 men with no intent of violence can and do end up in confrontations from time to time.

If neither has a hammer it will never end with hammer injuries.

If both have hammers its a near certainty that it ends with hammer injuries.

I have no fear of my government attempting to control or subvert me, my government works for me and bends to my will, not vice versa.

We as a people decided that we didn't want people carrying weapons or potential weapons without cause to be doing so, we voted for the parties intending to bring this into law and we expect and demand that it is policed accordingly.

If I am carrying a hammer, I'll have a reason to be doing so, whilst I may get a bit disgruntled if asked to explain why I have it in my possession I understand why it is being done.

If a madman with a hammer walks onto our high street, I expect him to be challenged before he hurts anyone with it.

And who knows what your average madman looks like? :)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I'd imagine it's similar to gun control in that we'll see it from completely opposite viewpoints.

I believe in the inevitability of escalation by availability.

2 men with no intent of violence can and do end up in confrontations from time to time.

If neither has a hammer it will never end with hammer injuries.

If both have hammers its a near certainty that it ends with hammer injuries.

I have no fear of my government attempting to control or subvert me, my government works for me and bends to my will, not vice versa.

We as a people decided that we didn't want people carrying weapons or potential weapons without cause to be doing so, we voted for the parties intending to bring this into law and we expect and demand that it is policed accordingly.

If I am carrying a hammer, I'll have a reason to be doing so, whilst I may get a bit disgruntled if asked to explain why I have it in my possession I understand why it is being done.

If a madman with a hammer walks onto our high street, I expect him to be challenged before he hurts anyone with it.

And who knows what your average madman looks like? :)
We should have strict background checks on carpenters.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Thanks, I appreciate you sharing this. I understand your thinking, and it highlights how differently people can view things like this.
I find the differences fascinating tbh and believe it or not I can now find myself explaining the opposing view when we're discussing an event in work.

Normal is what you grew up with so I doubt my base view will ever change but if I grew up in a different culture I have no doubt I'd see it differently.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I find the differences fascinating tbh and believe it or not I can now find myself explaining the opposing view when we're discussing an event in work.

Normal is what you grew up with so I doubt my base view will ever change but if I grew up in a different culture I have no doubt I'd see it differently.
Exactly - it's why my wife and I have worked hard to travel outside of the US with our chirruns - so that all of us can experience the different ways that people live. Not about right or wrong, just different.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Exactly - it's why my wife and I have worked hard to travel outside of the US with our chirruns - so that all of us can experience the different ways that people live. Not about right or wrong, just different.
International travel has a profound effect on a human's worldview.

I've been around the globe and I understand the plight of the poor in Honduras and empathize them but that doesn't mean that I'm suddenly ok with them coming here illegally. I've witnessed the abject squalor of Haiti but that doesn't mean I think it's a good place to spend foreign aid dollars. Travel makes you consider what is normal for people - what their rhythms are, what is important to them, what their scope of life is and how the take it in and digest it.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
If I may derail, and I'm going by memory here, one branch of my family was from Glasgow, This was while King James (of the KJV) was in charge. Then, two or three generations were born in Ulster. They were in Pennsylvania about 20 years before the Revolution, South Carolina a decade before the Revolution, and in Jasper 5-10 years before the Civil War.
The closest I've been to Glasgow is Heathrow airport.

To get it back on track, I can't see allowing myself to be disarmed. But, if the folks in Scotland are good with it, no skin off my nose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.