The apparel arms race is heating up.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just me, but I have never cared what we wear. I don’t even know what brand we use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
This list (List of NCAA schools with the most NCAA Division I championships - wiki) has Stanford at the top spot in overall national championships.
something is off with that list. The source it's pulling from is an NCAA document, but even that document doesn't list ANY national championships for Alabama in football. seriously, it says we have ZERO. Therefore, grain of salt required.

Stanford racks up in swimming, tennis, volleyball and water polo. Tennis is a huge market sport, but the others are tiny.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
None of our football titles were awarded by the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Alabama: Nike
Arkansas: Nike
Auburn: Under Armour
Florida: Nike
Georgia: Nike
Kentucky: Nike
LSU: Nike
Mississippi: Nike
Mississippi State: Adidas
Missouri: Nike
South Carolina: Under Armour
Tennessee: Nike (switch from Adidas)
Texas A&M: Adidas
Vanderbilt: Nike

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
UCLA has 114 NCAA NCs (compared to Alabama's 27) - they're competitive in virtually every sport in which they compete. From a marketing standpoint, it's a pretty smart move, I'd guess.

For the record, only Stanford has more NCAA NCs (116).
Vanderbilt has more women's bowling championships than Alabama too.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I worked at Lang's Sporting Goods in the '80s. At that time they had to get their uniforms through a dealer. They got them from us. The color was actually Cardinal not Crimson. Back then there was only three shades of red. Scarlet, Cardinal and Maroon.-
That's interesting. I started at UA back in the mid 50s and our jerseys were much darker then. This was before the visiting team had to wear white for TV contrast and I remember one game against MSU at homecoming when it was hard to distinguish between the two colors...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If you look at Stanford's unis they look like ours when Russell was our supplier. I'm ok with staying with Nike but they're going to have to sign a big check!

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I liked Russell because of the color and in the time when I coached HS, they had the best quality uniforms...durable, bright, comfortable and distinctive. Hate they are getting out of the team business.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
I liked Russell because of the color and in the time when I coached HS, they had the best quality uniforms...durable, bright, comfortable and distinctive. Hate they are getting out of the team business.
Me too. We were their largest dealer in the Nation. I really think that they missed the boat in not getting a shoe line and manufacturing equipment.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Russell Athletic is getting out of the team business. They messed up when Under Armour came on the scene. They should have gotten in the shoe and equipment business.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2017/10/russell_athletic_to_cease_maki.html
Here is the reason:

From the sixties onward, Russell was the largest manufacturer of athletic apparel and uniforms in the U.S. By the mid-nineties, it was the official supplier of team uniforms for 25 of 28 Major League Baseball teams and was the largest outfitter of NFL teams, according to SGB.
However, it faced competition for uniforms from Nike and Adidas, and began moving labor overseas. Russell was bought for $600 million in 2006 by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway and merged into Fruit of the Loom.
As they used to say in undergrad school: "the proof is left to the reader as a homework assignment."

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
If you look at Stanford's unis they look like ours when Russell was our supplier. I'm ok with staying with Nike but they're going to have to sign a big check!
Are we signed through 2018 with Nike? That’s what I’ve read. Curious to see if the school will shop around, which I’m sure they will.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Are we signed through 2018 with Nike? That’s what I’ve read. Curious to see if the school will shop around, which I’m sure they will.
https://sgbonline.com/alabama-extends-nike-deal-through-2018/

We're still working off the 2002 deal and keep extending so we might not shop around. I don't see Nike not matching or beating anyone though, especially since we are in the playoffs every year in football. Say what you will about other sports, but other than basketball and football no other sport is watched universally like those two sports.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
UCLA has 114 NCAA NCs (compared to Alabama's 27) - they're competitive in virtually every sport in which they compete. From a marketing standpoint, it's a pretty smart move, I'd guess.

For the record, only Stanford has more NCAA NCs (116).
And (at least when it comes to Dollars and Cents) they'd trade them ALL for even ONE title in Football.

Reality is, the monetary value of All their National Championship Titles, including their Men's basketball titles (and it's only one shy of a full Dozen) is probably a lot less than the value of this past year's Football NC. Frankly, even if a school won the next FOUR Men's BB tournament's, the monetary value of all 4 would be less than any two recent Football NC's.

I know there's more to a National Title than just the money value - still, "it is what it is"

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
https://sgbonline.com/alabama-extends-nike-deal-through-2018/

We're still working off the 2002 deal and keep extending so we might not shop around. I don't see Nike not matching or beating anyone though, especially since we are in the playoffs every year in football. Say what you will about other sports, but other than basketball and football no other sport is watched universally like those two sports.
I don't know who's palms have been getting greased by Nike, but UA has ALWAYS been SHAFTED by Nike, and yet, year after year, we keep on bending over and willingly taking it.

Back in 2010 Our deal was "said to be worth nearly $30 million over seven years" - that's roughly $4.3 million a year. - and that wasn't even a competitive amount 8 years ago.

Compare that to what UCLA will get (and lets be honest, a second tier program in a second tier conference) - almost TWELVE MILLION PER YEAR.

I'm sure (or at least sure HOPE) we are getting more than $4.3 million a year for WHORING OUT all our sports teams to be billboards for Nike...... But frankly, I'd be surprised if our deal was even in the Top Half of "name brand" schools. :-(

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.