John Stossel: The left's war on science

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
How are a handful of undifferentiated cells attached to a uterine wall NOT an appendage?
They can be removed and differentiated into any organ. However, give it up. No matter how it's clothed, it's a religious argument, so there's no gaining understanding, no discussion, really...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Spoken with the condescension of someone who thinks he is so right he does not need to address an argument.
You're not making an argument. You're positing scientific falsehoods without any explanation or factual backing whatsoever. You're claiming "it is known" when it is not. I truly don't mean to be rude, but an argument of authority only works when you are an authority on the subject.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Maybe the thread title should be changed since only the first few posts are on the topic.
Thanks mike, I didn't intend to start another abortion thread. I was trying to broaden the topic wrt what is and is not acceptable to research.

The point of this article, as I took it, is that there are certain topics that although they need to be researched, are just too toxic politically to risk ... unless it supports or attempts to support the accepted PC norms. Just a few from both sides:

climate change - only acceptable if it shows XXXXXXX
gun violence - instead of the guns bad vs 2nd amm., why not look at it from all sides (just a random ex. If you take out the 6 or 7 US cities with the most gun
deaths, the US is extremely low in murder rate etc, but with them, we are very high)
intelligence - Do people from certain areas have differences in brain chemistry, biology, diet, cultural practices etc that influence intelligence and can we use
that potential knowledge to possibly treat brain diseases?
gender - (although I thought biology settled this long ago, I have absolutely no problem studying it)
mental illness - including all risk factors (including homosexuality **as a risk factor**)
addiction - Ex: Some believe that native Americans are more predisposed to be addicted to alcohol. Is this real and if so, why? Is there possibly a gene we
can identify that could be used to screen for or possibly even treat this?
crime - Ex: why are some groups locked up more than others?
abortion - WRT when rights start for an unborn child (if ever)
evolution - Ex: The current model is missing way too much (great evidence for change within species, but not so much for how one species changes to
another. Not at all saying I am skeptical of evolution, just that we are still missing way to much.
Genetically modified foods

I think we should research every bit of this and more. Anything we shouldn't research and why? Thanks

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This thread has gone off the deep end.

Abortion is a no win argument. Period. I think there are about 5,000 threads about it already if anyone wants to keep that going (to be clear, I am not a NS moderator so I am speaking as a request).

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This thread has gone off the deep end.

Abortion is a no win argument. Period. I think there are about 5,000 threads about it already if anyone wants to keep that going (to be clear, I am not a NS moderator so I am speaking as a request).
Yes, but #5,001 could be the thread that finally convinces everyone.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I would have multiquoted this with my last post but don’t know how to do that on the mobile app. Anyways, to your point:

It is not that an adult is “no more worthy” but that the embryo is “equally worthy”.
My point was that both formulations of the concept establish moral equivalence between an embryo and an adult. I deliberately phrased it that way to show how that idea can have the opposite effect of the one you desire.

In what way does an embryo’s life being valuable diminish the value of an adult’s life? Does a newborn child 3sec out of the womb also diminish the adult’s life by placing them on the same moral plane? After all, they are vastly different in terms of development, independence, cognitive ability, contribution to humanity, etc. There is no difference between the value and potential of human life from the embryonic stage to the newborn to the adult to the old man in his deathbed. I would argue that the embryo and the newborn are more worthy of protection as they are innocent and fully dependent on others to sustain their lives until they are able to do so themselves many years down the road.
The problem is that an embryo's life is simply not as valuable as an adult's life. You can present arguments as to why you think that is not true or should not be true, and such arguments will include things like "They are both human life" but you will never escape the fact that embryos do not have the same status that adults do, and that your position is opposed by a lot of people with thoughtful, legitimate reasons for believing the way they do. Science isn't going to prove the worth of an embryo, because that is a moral and ethical question, which is outside the realm of science. We know through science that an embryo has a unique set of DNA, which helps establish it as a unique individual, and helps put the stamp of "human life" on it, but if you already don't value embryos, that label doesn't carry much weight. That doesn't mean that adult's life is not valuable, but if you rely on the label "human life" to value that adult's life, then lesser beings achieving that prestigious label waters down the meaning of that label, and we have to examine why we really care about an adult life but not an embryo. Of course, you say we should care about them equally, but I say that the status of "human life" isn't the real reason we care about them. I do care about people, but I do not care about embryos. The "human life" label is irrelevant to me if it includes embryos. If I am forced to re-examine why I care about people, then the result may be other than what you desire. I may reach the conclusion that our opinions don't matter and that people are simply animals that can think better than other animals, whose role in the universe is as insignificant as can be. If pressed, the science would likely show that none of us really matter, and that it's irrational egocentrism that enables us to believe otherwise. That is how the value of an adult's life gets diminished. And it really is a philosophical question, not a scientific one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.