Questions about pain with exercising

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’m hoping some of y’all have experienced this, so I’m looking for advice. I used to play sports religiously as a teenager. Once I graduated high school, my exercise routine got less and less to now where all I do is walk the dogs. And that’s not even for very long because they can’t go very long. Well I am almost 32 and I hurt just about everyday especially in my hips and knees. My hips and knees pop just about every time I get up. I do have arthritis in my right knee due to an old injury. But that isn’t my problem right now. I plan on getting it scoped at the end of the year, hopefully.

I decided to go today to a local park for a walk. I walked around two miles and now I have pain on the outside portion of my hip/buttock region. My lower back hurts as well, which isn’t uncommon since I injured it numerous times at work. But lord I’m too young for all this pain and popping. Sadly, my mom has all these problems and has since she was young, so I’m praying I don’t start down her path.

I don’t know if a trip to the doctor or chiro or whoever is in order. Maybe I should stretch everyday? But if it hurts to just walk a mile or two I’m not going to keep doing that. LOL. My SIL who is a PT said my pain is coming from my IT band. I really don’t know what to do. I want to be able to be pain free when I become a nurse and have to work 12 hour shifts. Usually if I’m walking around doing things my back isn’t bad, but if I have to stand in one position or stand still for too long my back kills me. I even have annoying pain in my hands every once in a while.

I seriously need some advice from y’all experts! :) Maybe my 13+ years of playing sports year round is getting to me. LOL

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I would first start with stretching. As much as I hate to do it, when I start my workouts I start with low weight and slow reps to just let everything move a little, especially if it's been a day or so since I've worked out.

I would for sure see someone just to determine if it's an injury that needs treatment, or pain that you're going to have to suck up and deal with.

I have zero medical knowledge and nothing I've said is intended to cure or diagnose any ailments you may or may not have. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
try a piriformis stretch and that might help. also look into yoga as that can help with this stuff. if it lingers, i would find a sports chiro. they can often help figure out where the problem is

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not a doctor, but I have watched, Chicago Med, Grey's Anatomy and House and my recommendation is what Earle said or an orthopedist. Yeah, 32 is way too young to be experiencing that kind of pain.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night so here's my take:

1) you said your SIL is a PT - surely she must have given you some recommendations - follow up on what she said
2) if you have a doctor, make sure you are checked out for general healthiness
3) stretching exercises are wonderful and will help - plenty of info online about options there - find something that fits and don't forget deep breathing exercises
4) if you are carrying any extra weight, that is always a factor - summer coming and is a good time to drop some pounds
5) drink lots of water, eat fruit every day, and cut out all junk food
6) if not already doing so, try drinking Gatorade on a daily basis but especially on days you work out
7) make sure you are getting plenty of rest and your mattress is not causing any problems in that regard - sleep is like a magic pill - it's truly amazing how it affects our health and well-being
8) make sure your footwear is not creating problems - don't be afraid to try different styles as needed

Sorry if some of this sounds too basic but sometimes it is the basics that need attention before moving forward.

HTH Jessica! :)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I used to have some fairly bad back (and occasionally hip) pain from time to time. I friend who was a PT told me to work on strengthening my abs and obliques, so that I could stabilize my core better. This takes strain off of the back. FWIW, it worked for me.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Have you thought about seeing a rheumatologist? Those are not normal pains for someone your age...
Your primary care doctor can do bloodwork to check your inflammation markers (something any rheumatologist would want). If you do have high level inflammation, the pain and damage will only progress until you get that down.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Your primary care doctor can do bloodwork to check your inflammation markers (something any rheumatologist would want). If you do have high level inflammation, the pain and damage will only progress until you get that down.
That's not a bad idea. Orthopedists, being mainly mechanics, don't always think of that. Anyway, she needs to see a medical doctor. Thirty-two year olds should not have these symptoms...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’m definitely going to get it all checked out. I’m going to a new orthopedic doctor soon to get my knee checked out to see if I can get it scoped and I’ll ask him about these pains and popping. Sadly, my diet is no good and I need to lose some weight for sure. Next time I see my SIL I’ll ask her and I’ll try a stretching routine.

I did have blood work done recently and everything came back in the normal range, but I’m not sure what all tests he ran.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.