Link: Restroom blow dryers...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I never used them because I suspected this...

Consequently, this study has implications for the control of opportunistic bacterial pathogens and spores in public environments including health care settings. Within a large building, potentially pathogenic bacteria, including bacterial spores, may travel between rooms, and subsequent bacterial/spore deposition by hand dryers is a possible mechanism for spread of infectious bacteria, including spores of potential pathogens if present.
Here is the somewhat sensationalized Yahoo article. The quote is from the underlying scientific article:

LINK

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
my wife has always said that those things were germ blowers and that the newer faster ones were just faster germ blowers. I stay away from them too

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
When I go to bathrooms in restrooms or gas stations with those and no towels. I just walk out get me some napkins come back in wash my hand use the napkins to dry my hand and open the door.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i see the dyson air blades in a lot of airport restrooms. i'm not sure if these are more hygienic or not. i usually try to use paper towels if they are available.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I've often wondered why we do things backwards in the restroom. You have one or two layers of fabric between the germy world and the bottom half of your skin, but hands are all up in the petri dish that is human communal living. I know where the parts in my trousers have been. I have no clue what all I have picked up on my hands throughout the day. Why on earth do we not wash our hands first???

This article shows that the blow dryer option makes that moot.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've often wondered why we do things backwards in the restroom. You have one or two layers of fabric between the germy world and the bottom half of your skin, but hands are all up in the petri dish that is human communal living. I know where the parts in my trousers have been. I have no clue what all I have picked up on my hands throughout the day. Why on earth do we not wash our hands first???

This article shows that the blow dryer option makes that moot.
After my bout with the flu several years ago, I morphed into pretty much a germophobe. I wash my hands numerous times a day and keep purifier cloths in my truck. I know what's on my hands fairly well all day long. I haven't even had a cold in over ten years...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
There's a guy in our building who NEVER washes his hands after he goes to the bathroom. Even after going number two. But, a few times, I've seen him come into the bathroom, go directly to the sink, wash his hands and walk out. It makes me wonder what the heck he could possibly have been doing that was more unsanitary than taking a dump.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
There's a guy in our building who NEVER washes his hands after he goes to the bathroom. Even after going number two. But, a few times, I've seen him come into the bathroom, go directly to the sink, wash his hands and walk out. It makes me wonder what the heck he could possibly have been doing that was more unsanitary than taking a dump.
I've watched guys do that and then go make coffee. Needless to say, I don't drink it.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
We don't have them in the hospital. Paper towels everywhere.

Unless you're going into particularly sensitive areas like the pharmacy compounding room. Then you get a lint free towel for for drying, followed by spraying your hands down with isopropyl alcohol before putting sterile gloves on.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In the church we had a young man who sang in the choir with me. He had a mild case of Williams Syndrome, a selective form of MR. They are super friendly; they all have similar "elfin" faces, are very verbal but have huge areas of nonfunction. Anyway, he and I had brushes because he would skip practice, even be outside the choir room at times and then try to sing on Sunday, irritating to those of us who worked at doing it right. Anyway, one day I went into the restroom and someone was taking a dump. I looked at the shoes and I recognized them as wingtips which he wore. I was at the urinal and heard the stall open. I turned my head and, sure enough, John went straight out the door. From that day, I refused to shake his hand. The next place he turned up was working for Publix, stocking in the produce department. Being the type personality he was, he held nothing against me and would cross long distances to shake hands. I still demurred. I knew he was not obeying those "employees must wash hands" signs...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.