Comcast to blackout B1GN in non-footprint states
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Comcast to blackout B1GN in non-footprint states

Big Ten sports fans might be in for a rude awakening if they live in select areas of the Comcast footprint. On Thursday, the telecom giantís customer service account tweeted that the Big Ten Network will soon be removed from its lineup for some customers.

At first, Comcast said it was dropping the network entirely.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...t-subscription

The times -- they are a-changing. I presume this has something to do with the cable cutting going on. Wow. The California, Florida and Boston markets all will be dropped. That is a lot of TV sets.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Comcast to blackout B1GN in non-footprint states

SECN might get the same rude awakening but Slive at least got Texas in the footprint. Add in Florida, weíve got a good position as cable declines.

BamaNation First Team im4uainva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    SECN might get the same rude awakening but Slive at least got Texas in the footprint. Add in Florida, we’ve got a good position as cable declines.
    Since I live in Virginia, that would not please me at all. Perhaps, at least being in the SE, it would be enough to negate a blackout here, hopefully.

Roll Tide!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Things don't usually work out to benefit the consumer these days but here me out:

I think this kind of news actually helps the consumer over the long run because this will likely necessitate Big Ten Network ownership (Fox & Big Ten Conference) to look into an independent-from-cable streaming service subscription model to deliver their product. At first it will be for the out-of-market Big Ten fans but if it works out well then the next time they're bargaining with cable they can tell them to stick up their tailpipe and just become a streaming service altogether. The SEC Network is in a better position because their broadcasting ownership partner (ESPN) has more competency in streaming so when that time comes the SEC Network streaming product will be robust.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

The ACC network is only regionally available now, right? This makes sense. Make it an upcharge channel outside of the footprint. But it should remain available for an upcharge. Removing it altogether is bad business.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The ACC network is only regionally available now, right? This makes sense. Make it an upcharge channel outside of the footprint. But it should remain available for an upcharge. Removing it altogether is bad business.
    I agree. They have no reason to remove the channel rather than charge extra for it if you are outside of the Big Ten footprint. That is, unless it is just an annoying negotiating tactic being played out in public.

Edit: I lived in a Comcast town for a decade. They are the definition of bad business.

It seems to me this type of strategic move by the cable companies would only accelerate "cable cutting".

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Big Ten sports fans might be in for a rude awakening if they live in select areas of the Comcast footprint. On Thursday, the telecom giantís customer service account tweeted that the Big Ten Network will soon be removed from its lineup for some customers.
    At first, Comcast said it was dropping the network entirely...

Does this edict by Comcast include Rutgers' "Little Foot" footprint in Jersey and NYC that's the network forensics equivalent of whether a tree actually falls in the forest if there's nobody hearing the "Timber!"...

It is a big move, and it begs the question of whether or not this is more a product of the Big 10 not generating enough interest, or just the type of move we're going to start seeing more of.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by TitleWave View Post

Does this edict by Comcast include Rutgers' "Little Foot" footprint in Jersey and NYC that's the network forensics equivalent of whether a tree actually falls in the forest if there's nobody hearing the "Timber!"...
    According to the map linked in the article Comcast has no footprint in New York. It is so small it is hard to make out, but it looks like none at all. It must be another cable company in New York State.

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It is a big move, and it begs the question of whether or not this is more a product of the Big 10 not generating enough interest, or just the type of move we're going to start seeing more of.
    Probably a little of both. A shot across the bow, so to speak.

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

I donít understand how cable TV is even still a thing. Itís such an outdated model.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    I donít understand how cable TV is even still a thing. Itís such an outdated model.
    Hi speed internet. It keeps them in the game.