Comcast to blackout B1GN in non-footprint states

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Big Ten sports fans might be in for a rude awakening if they live in select areas of the Comcast footprint. On Thursday, the telecom giant’s customer service account tweeted that the Big Ten Network will soon be removed from its lineup for some customers.

At first, Comcast said it was dropping the network entirely.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/12/17231278/big-ten-network-comcast-subscription

The times -- they are a-changing. I presume this has something to do with the cable cutting going on. Wow. The California, Florida and Boston markets all will be dropped. That is a lot of TV sets.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
SECN might get the same rude awakening but Slive at least got Texas in the footprint. Add in Florida, we’ve got a good position as cable declines.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
SECN might get the same rude awakening but Slive at least got Texas in the footprint. Add in Florida, we’ve got a good position as cable declines.
Since I live in Virginia, that would not please me at all. Perhaps, at least being in the SE, it would be enough to negate a blackout here, hopefully.

Roll Tide!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Things don't usually work out to benefit the consumer these days but here me out:

I think this kind of news actually helps the consumer over the long run because this will likely necessitate Big Ten Network ownership (Fox & Big Ten Conference) to look into an independent-from-cable streaming service subscription model to deliver their product. At first it will be for the out-of-market Big Ten fans but if it works out well then the next time they're bargaining with cable they can tell them to stick up their tailpipe and just become a streaming service altogether. The SEC Network is in a better position because their broadcasting ownership partner (ESPN) has more competency in streaming so when that time comes the SEC Network streaming product will be robust.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The ACC network is only regionally available now, right? This makes sense. Make it an upcharge channel outside of the footprint. But it should remain available for an upcharge. Removing it altogether is bad business.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
The ACC network is only regionally available now, right? This makes sense. Make it an upcharge channel outside of the footprint. But it should remain available for an upcharge. Removing it altogether is bad business.
I agree. They have no reason to remove the channel rather than charge extra for it if you are outside of the Big Ten footprint. That is, unless it is just an annoying negotiating tactic being played out in public.

Edit: I lived in a Comcast town for a decade. They are the definition of bad business.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Big Ten sports fans might be in for a rude awakening if they live in select areas of the Comcast footprint. On Thursday, the telecom giant’s customer service account tweeted that the Big Ten Network will soon be removed from its lineup for some customers.
At first, Comcast said it was dropping the network entirely...

Does this edict by Comcast include Rutgers' "Little Foot" footprint in Jersey and NYC that's the network forensics equivalent of whether a tree actually falls in the forest if there's nobody hearing the "Timber!"...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It is a big move, and it begs the question of whether or not this is more a product of the Big 10 not generating enough interest, or just the type of move we're going to start seeing more of.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Does this edict by Comcast include Rutgers' "Little Foot" footprint in Jersey and NYC that's the network forensics equivalent of whether a tree actually falls in the forest if there's nobody hearing the "Timber!"...
According to the map linked in the article Comcast has no footprint in New York. It is so small it is hard to make out, but it looks like none at all. It must be another cable company in New York State.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I don’t understand how cable TV is even still a thing. It’s such an outdated model.
Satellite's not any better price wise. Plus, you have a lot of seniors and other people that aren't techy enough to figure out how to stream or don't want to deal with paying multiple sources.

I've been saying for a long time that one day all of this tv money is going to dry up and the universities are going to find themselves in big trouble with stadium debt, coaches salaries, etc.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Net neutrality was about setting the cable companies up for a future where they don’t directly control the entertainment pipeline over their networks. They’ll be fine.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I mean, I get that. Cable companies still have their place with Internet connections but I still don’t understand why people pay for so many channels that they never watch.
No other source offers the diverse content as reliably. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. have very limited content.

I have cable and these other services. I don't mind the cost.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I mean, I get that. Cable companies still have their place with Internet connections but I still don’t understand why people pay for so many channels that they never watch.
many people don't mind the cost. I have friends who pay for the biggest (most expensive) package they can get. Then they add HBO, SHO and all the other pay channels they can get. Then they add Netflix, Hulu and all those too. Then they add every add-on they can find, like multi this and multi that. They like paying Two Hundred plus each month for TV. Of course they can't possibly watch all that stuff, but they do not mind having it if the want it. Now add high speed internet and five cell phones and that is a whopper of a bill for entertainment.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
many people don't mind the cost. I have friends who pay for the biggest (most expensive) package they can get. Then they add HBO, SHO and all the other pay channels they can get. Then they add Netflix, Hulu and all those too. Then they add every add-on they can find, like multi this and multi that. They like paying Two Hundred plus each month for TV. Of course they can't possibly watch all that stuff, but they do not mind having it if the want it. Now add high speed internet and five cell phones and that is a whopper of a bill for entertainment.
It is all a question of where folks want to spend their disposable income. Some people buy luxury cars or boats. Some people buy RVs or spend small fortunes to attend sporting events.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This may be venturing into NS territory.....

I think Saban is behind this to prevent tOSU to recruit as well in the South.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.