Syria air strikes

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Ok, so I may be really dumb, but explain to me why we care? We produce around 37.9% ourselves, get another 43.1% from Canada 14.3 from Saudi Arabia and the rest are from Latin American countries and a teeny-tiny fraction is from Africa.

So the only Mid East imports we are getting are from Saudi Arabia and they come in 3rd and shrink by the day as our domestic output increases. We don't get any from Iraq or Syria. Russia takes care of it's own oil needs, being completely flush with the stuff and being China's biggest supplier and one of the main providers to the rest of Europe.

So Russia makes most of their own supply, America makes most of their own supply - nobodies majority is coming from any of the current disputed regions? What gives?
I may have answered my own question by searching the internet.

[FONT=q_serif]Syria sits in the heart of Middle East, bordering the Mediterranean sea to the west, is strategically important to Russia's naval force. The Russian Black Sea Fleet is limited by the narrow Turkish straits and would therefore need a more stable port to access to Mediterranean sea. Syria fits perfectly to Russian interest. In an effort of reviving USSR or its past status as superpower, Russian involvement in Syria crisis plays critical role in securing its geostrategic interests. The US wants nothing different: they want to contain Russia and cripple their naval force in Mediterranean sea.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]The West wants less dependent on Russian supplied gas. In light of Ukraine crisis, Russia has threatened Europe with the supply of natural gas. The largest oil field in the world, which Qatar owns 2/3, was hoped to supply to Europe more steadily at cheaper price. The billion-dollar gas pipeline, proposed to connect Qatar through Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria, Turkey to Europe, was turned down. Assad's refusal to give permission, as part of Russian interests, indirectly or directly caused the war.[/FONT]

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think stabilizing the area for Israel actually holds more water than the internal oil angle. The Israelis get their oil from a hodge-podge of places but most recently they get most of it from norther Iraq in the Kurdistan regions. Most of the other stuff come from places like Azerbaijan and a few of the other "stans".
The question is, are we stabilizing the area or de-stabilizing the area? My guess is Saudi Arabia wins in this too.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
That's a legit question given that it was in chaos when we arrived.
Syria, along with Egypt and Libya all went into chaos during the Arab Spring that was allegedly supported by the Obama administration. Since then, Syria has been in a state of civil war. Egypt's military quickly did what they normally do and reinstalled a more moderate, secular government. Libya was not so fortunate in that Qaddafi was ousted creating a power vacuum and resulted in diplomatic deaths for the US. I assure you, if the elder Assad was alive, this wouldn't have lasted nearly as long. He would have crushed this early on. Bashar is not violent. His brother, however, is a nut job.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Syria, along with Egypt and Libya all went into chaos during the Arab Spring that was allegedly supported by the Obama administration. Since then, Syria has been in a state of civil war. Egypt's military quickly did what they normally do and reinstalled a more moderate, secular government. Libya was not so fortunate in that Qaddafi was ousted creating a power vacuum and resulted in diplomatic deaths for the US. I assure you, if the elder Assad was alive, this wouldn't have lasted nearly as long. He would have crushed this early on. Bashar is not violent. His brother, however, is a nut job.
When I was in Damascus in the 1990s, I remember seeing posters of Basher's older brother, Bassel, the "martyr."
I asked my Syrians friends how he was martyred, they were evasive. Eventually, one of them quietly told me he had died in a car wreck in the mountains along the Syrian-Lebanese border. His father Haffez had bought him an Italian sports car, but mandated that the designated driver was the only one to drive. Bassel got him out in the mountains and told the driver to let him (Basher) drive. The driver said, "You father forbade me from letting you drive."
Bassel said, "Yes, but my father is old and will be dead soon. Then I'll be in charge and I will remember that you would not let me drive my car."
The driver let Bassel drive and Bassel wrecked, killing himself, becoming a "martyr."

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That's a legit question given that it was in chaos when we arrived.
And it was in disarray due in large part to our previous actions in the ME.

When has the US done anything but caused issues in that part of the world? The reality things would be screwed up there with or without our involvement, but pretty much every single time we've been heavily involved over there it's come back to bite us badly: Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When I was in Damascus in the 1990s, I remember seeing posters of Basher's older brother, Bassel, the "martyr."
I asked my Syrians friends how he was martyred, they were evasive. Eventually, one of them quietly told me he had died in a car wreck in the mountains along the Syrian-Lebanese border. His father Haffez had bought him an Italian sports car, but mandated that the designated driver was the only one to drive. Bassel got him out in the mountains and told the driver to let him (Basher) drive. The driver said, "You father forbade me from letting you drive."
Bassel said, "Yes, but my father is old and will be dead soon. Then I'll be in charge and I will remember that you would not let me drive my car."
The driver let Bassel drive and Bassel wrecked, killing himself, becoming a "martyr."
Stupid is as stupid does ;)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The funny thing was the Syrians trying to paint him as a "martyr."
I mean, he died, which is sad for his family, but he was no martyr, except maybe a martyr to the impetuousness of youth.
He was the appointed successor of his father. Bashar had no desire to fulfill this role. Had his brother not died, he'd still be in London practicing Ophthalmology. Everyone forgets that Bashar is a doctor. Do you really think he's enjoying this part of his life right now? It's got to suck big time. The problem is he can't abdicate because his brother, Maher, who heads the Republican Guard is an absolute psycho path. If he resigned, it would create an even greater power vacuum than already existed. If we (the US) would stay the hell out of Syria, I truly think he could rebuild his country. As long as we are meddling and creating division, he's not strong enough to convince the people that he's the guy for the job.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He was the appointed successor of his father. Bashar had no desire to fulfill this role. Had his brother not died, he'd still be in London practicing Ophthalmology. Everyone forgets that Bashar is a doctor. Do you really think he's enjoying this part of his life right now? It's got to suck big time. The problem is he can't abdicate because his brother, Maher, who heads the Republican Guard is an absolute psycho path. If he resigned, it would create an even greater power vacuum than already existed. If we (the US) would stay the hell out of Syria, I truly think he could rebuild his country. As long as we are meddling and creating division, he's not strong enough to convince the people that he's the guy for the job.
I actually think about his being an MD frequently. Then I muse how someone dedicated to helping someone in a former life can commit the brutalities he has...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I actually think about his being an MD frequently. Then I muse how someone dedicated to helping someone in a former life can commit the brutalities he has...
And I don't think he has. I think he's a puppet with little power. If you read about him, he's reserved and soft spoken. His dad knew his younger brother was more than a handful and I suspect, he's the one causing most of the problems since he heads the Republican Guard.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.