The beginning of the end of kickoffs. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: The beginning of the end of kickoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Like I said - I'm all for eliminating unnecessary injuries, but how many people get injured on kickoffs? I'm sure it happens, but I can't recall the last time I saw someone injured on a KO. Maybe addressing a problem that isn't?
    I don't trust league data, but they claim that kickoff injuries are the most severe injuries. So maybe it isn't the number of kickoff injuries but the type?

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't trust league data, but they claim that kickoff injuries are the most severe injuries. So maybe it isn't the number of kickoff injuries but the type?
    Could be.

Just seems sad to remove something that can be game-changing because of injuries that seem to never happen.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Schiano suggested the scoring team, rather than attempt an onside kick, take over the ball on its 30 on a fourth-and-15 play. The team can either go for it -- trying to retain the ball -- or punt. Statistics show that injuries on punts aren't as bad for as frequent as on kickoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...lege-football/

Since punts are much safer than kickoffs why not punt instead of kicking off. Punt from your own 40, or from the 50. That way a return or a fumble is still possible.

Also (hint, hint) the NCAA could reverse some of its decisions favoring the O. and cut down on kickoffs by cutting down on the 45-40 and 55-60 scoring matches. I miss the days when a 21 point lead really meant something. LESS scoring equals LESS KOs.
    Under Schiano's proposal, instead of 50-48 "shootouts" in leagues like the Big-12, instead you'd see 84-17 blowouts, where one team keeps possession of the ball almost continuously throughout the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah 63:1 View Post
    It isn't kickoffs per se that are inherently dangerous (they don't have this discussion in rugby, for instance), but rather the tackling on kickoffs. I'll admit I don't know how to solve it, but modifying the definition of a legal tackle in order to retain the kickoff would be better than these Schiano-esque proposals to eliminate kickoffs altogether.
    The REALITY is there are probably a dozen reasonable and rational methods that could reduce the number of injuries on KO's, WITHOUT removing the KO from the game. As Redwood suggests - the scoring team could Punt from the 30 (or even the 35 or 40, for that matter). We could KO from the 40 as Saban has suggested. And there are doubtless other changes that could help.

Rugby is a great example, and in fact - it's probably the PERFECT example. Football in America evolved from Rugby, after all. Rugby is a very rough sport, and it's widely played around the world - yet we don't see the same kinds on horrific brain injuries in Rugby.
    Why not?
    Well, one reason is the style of tackling. We all love the "Highlight reel" knockout type tackles, and take downs like the eye-popping "tackle" by Mekhi Brown in the NC game - but that's the kind of junk that gets people hurt. The NCAA should get serious about players leading with their heads on ANY Play.

And that leads to the second point - why do we see these concussion problems in football but not in Rugby? In a Nutshell - Helmets.

Disgraced former PSU coach, Joe Paterno, for all his failings, was right about this. He said decades ago, that if you wanted to end concussions in football, take the face-masks OFF the helmets. If you think about it, that one change would virtually end the spearing style of tackling that's responsible for most of these injuries. The first time a defender broke his nose leading with his head, he'd learn to use a "Form Tackle" instead. And "IMO" that alone would solve 80% of the problem.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It will more likely be concussion after effects which end football...
    It is interesting to watch Football helmet technology evolve. And yet...the helmet designs still cannot solve that issue as of yet. So yeah....I think the pressure will continue as well. We will continue to see players ejected for playing Defense, but we will most likely continue to see what most would agree are useless rule manipulation until it just doesn't seem like football anymore. But I GET that we need to protect these boys from brain damage. I try to keep that in mind too.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

The length of games has become an issue in recent years. Eliminating kickoffs completely would seem to save a lot of time over the course of a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

With a slight uniform modification we can make football safe to play.

"I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Could be.

Just seems sad to remove something that can be game-changing because of injuries that seem to never happen.
    I agree with you but they may be talking about injuries to the brain we don't see. Reuben's hit on Fournette is a prime example of what happens when two speeding bullets hit each other and the effects down the road with CTE that come later.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I agree with you but they may be talking about injuries to the brain we don't see. Reuben's hit on Fournette is a prime example of what happens when two speeding bullets hit each other and the effects down the road with CTE that come later.
    But studies have shown (and continue to show) that it's not the massive hits that do the most damage, it's the repetitive smaller hits (such as a DL / LB colliding with an OL on every snap).

Again, I'm all for player safety, but if they are trying to address CTE kickoffs are one of the last places to look...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

When do y'all think they will ban facemasks..Keep hearing it's eventually going to happen for player's safety..

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Without kickoffs, I doubt we beat Clemson for a national title. I'm not okay with those 2 plays being eliminated from the game.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    Or lose to Ole Miss
    Good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The length of games has become an issue in recent years. Eliminating kickoffs completely would seem to save a lot of time over the course of a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, but the length of games is more a product of commercials than actual playing time...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis