The beginning of the end of kickoffs.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Schiano suggested the scoring team, rather than attempt an onside kick, take over the ball on its 30 on a fourth-and-15 play. The team can either go for it -- trying to retain the ball -- or punt. Statistics show that injuries on punts aren't as bad for as frequent as on kickoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ffs-are-on-their-way-out-of-college-football/

Since punts are much safer than kickoffs why not punt instead of kicking off. Punt from your own 40, or from the 50. That way a return or a fumble is still possible.

Also (hint, hint) the NCAA could reverse some of its decisions favoring the O. and cut down on kickoffs by cutting down on the 45-40 and 55-60 scoring matches. I miss the days when a 21 point lead really meant something. LESS scoring equals LESS KOs.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think converting a 4th and 10 would be easier to do than an onside kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
It isn't kickoffs per se that are inherently dangerous (they don't have this discussion in rugby, for instance), but rather the tackling on kickoffs. I'll admit I don't know how to solve it, but modifying the definition of a legal tackle in order to retain the kickoff would be better than these Schiano-esque proposals to eliminate kickoffs altogether.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Schiano suggested the scoring team, rather than attempt an onside kick, take over the ball on its 30 on a fourth-and-15 play. The team can either go for it -- trying to retain the ball -- or punt. Statistics show that injuries on punts aren't as bad for as frequent as on kickoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ffs-are-on-their-way-out-of-college-football/

Since punts are much safer than kickoffs why not punt instead of kicking off. Punt from your own 40, or from the 50. That way a return or a fumble is still possible.

Also (hint, hint) the NCAA could reverse some of its decisions favoring the O. and cut down on kickoffs by cutting down on the 45-40 and 55-60 scoring matches. I miss the days when a 21 point lead really meant something. LESS scoring equals LESS KOs.
That's an excellent point. The constant rule changes to favor the offenses have played a big part in creating so many kickoffs. Better officiating could also help balance the field between offense and defense. I'm always amazed at the things wide receivers get away with that would be called on the defensive back every time.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
How about a free kick/kickoff from the 20, Or a standard punt (no fakes and no blocks) from the 50.
I was thinking a fake punt from the 50 would be about like the onside kick. At least the threat of a fake punt would keep linemen honest. Without that it might become linemen dropping back and the punting team rushing full bore -- just like the KO.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Saban's suggestion to kick from the 40 seems reasonable. It would result in most kicks being touchbacks, but still offer the possibility for an onside kick.

Rules to make injuries less likely is important not only for the player's safety, which is obviously the most important factor, but to preclude a push by a lot of people to eventually end tackle football as we know it.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
This thread could also be titled the beginning of the end of college football . . .

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
How about punt the ball, no fakes, but the ball is live once it crosses the line of scrimmage. Still have fair catch, but the receiving team can't just let it hit the ground.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the new rule proposed will actually increase the number of returns just like how the clock rule changes in the mid-00s actually helped to increase the number of snaps and length of the game. These guys are idiots and don't think about knock-on effects at all.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Why don't they just eliminate the running headstart the kickoff team gets? And limit the type of formations the return team can setup? They have done everything but change the momentum of the players on kickoffs. Insert a few rules to just slow down the players. Doing this at least it will still be an integral part of the game.

Kick from 40yd line
No running head start for defenders
All defenders must line up on line of scrimmage
Limit kickers run up to ball to 5yds
Touchbacks go back to 20yd line
Fair catches are marked where made
Make crackback blocks illegal

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.