The beginning of the end of kickoffs.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

The beginning of the end of kickoffs.

Schiano suggested the scoring team, rather than attempt an onside kick, take over the ball on its 30 on a fourth-and-15 play. The team can either go for it -- trying to retain the ball -- or punt. Statistics show that injuries on punts aren't as bad for as frequent as on kickoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...lege-football/

Since punts are much safer than kickoffs why not punt instead of kicking off. Punt from your own 40, or from the 50. That way a return or a fumble is still possible.

Also (hint, hint) the NCAA could reverse some of its decisions favoring the O. and cut down on kickoffs by cutting down on the 45-40 and 55-60 scoring matches. I miss the days when a 21 point lead really meant something. LESS scoring equals LESS KOs.
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; April 15th, 2018 at 05:19 AM.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: The beginning of the end of kickoffs.

I think converting a 4th and 10 would be easier to do than an onside kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I think converting a 4th and 10 would be easier to do than an onside kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If they do this, it needs to be at least 4th and 25.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

How about a free kick/kickoff from the 20, Or a standard punt (no fakes and no blocks) from the 50.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-SEC

It isn't kickoffs per se that are inherently dangerous (they don't have this discussion in rugby, for instance), but rather the tackling on kickoffs. I'll admit I don't know how to solve it, but modifying the definition of a legal tackle in order to retain the kickoff would be better than these Schiano-esque proposals to eliminate kickoffs altogether.

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Remember that game they use to play? I think it was called FOOTBALL.
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Schiano suggested the scoring team, rather than attempt an onside kick, take over the ball on its 30 on a fourth-and-15 play. The team can either go for it -- trying to retain the ball -- or punt. Statistics show that injuries on punts aren't as bad for as frequent as on kickoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...lege-football/

Since punts are much safer than kickoffs why not punt instead of kicking off. Punt from your own 40, or from the 50. That way a return or a fumble is still possible.

Also (hint, hint) the NCAA could reverse some of its decisions favoring the O. and cut down on kickoffs by cutting down on the 45-40 and 55-60 scoring matches. I miss the days when a 21 point lead really meant something. LESS scoring equals LESS KOs.
    That's an excellent point. The constant rule changes to favor the offenses have played a big part in creating so many kickoffs. Better officiating could also help balance the field between offense and defense. I'm always amazed at the things wide receivers get away with that would be called on the defensive back every time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    How about a free kick/kickoff from the 20, Or a standard punt (no fakes and no blocks) from the 50.
    I was thinking a fake punt from the 50 would be about like the onside kick. At least the threat of a fake punt would keep linemen honest. Without that it might become linemen dropping back and the punting team rushing full bore -- just like the KO.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Second Team

Saban's suggestion to kick from the 40 seems reasonable. It would result in most kicks being touchbacks, but still offer the possibility for an onside kick.

Rules to make injuries less likely is important not only for the player's safety, which is obviously the most important factor, but to preclude a push by a lot of people to eventually end tackle football as we know it.
    Last edited by Crimson White; April 15th, 2018 at 08:41 AM.

This thread could also be titled the beginning of the end of college football . . .

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    This thread could also be titled the beginning of the end of college football . . .
    It will more likely be concussion after effects which end football...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

How about punt the ball, no fakes, but the ball is live once it crosses the line of scrimmage. Still have fair catch, but the receiving team can't just let it hit the ground.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Without kickoffs we don’t beat Clemson in 2015
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung