Arkansas weighs history and money in decision to stay or leave games in Little Rock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Arkansas weighs history and money in decision to stay or leave games in Little Rock

After 70 years as a part-time home for Arkansas football games, there’s only one more game scheduled at War Memorial Stadium. The current contract expires after the 2018 season, and as recently as last fall, when Arkansas officials presented a 39-page Powerpoint document comparing and contrasting the stadiums, a feeling of inevitability had settled in. Many expected the Ole Miss game Oct. 13 to be the Hogs’ last in the state capital.

But momentum may have changed. There’s no handshake just yet, but it appears actual games are likely to remain in Little Rock, too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ock/516039002/

I learned a lot from this:

For SEC games, a league rule requires the opponent to sign off on playing away from campus. And later this spring, a working group of SEC athletic directors is expected to unveil minimum standards for football venues, including for visitors’ and officials’ locker rooms (part of the $17 million in proposed improvements to War Memorial Stadium).

Every other year, as the designated home team in the series, Arkansas essentially loses a home date. If the Razorbacks are also playing in Little Rock, they’ll lose two dates on campus. And in Arlington and Little Rock, NCAA rules don’t allow Arkansas to conduct the same recruiting activities as at games on campus.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

I never went to a game in Birmingham and I wish I would have. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Re: Arkansas weighs history and money in decision to stay or leave games in Little Ro

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    I never went to a game in Birmingham and I wish I would have. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

You didn't miss anything, trust me.

Get out Arky!
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples! Denzel Devall

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: Arkansas weighs history and money in decision to stay or leave games in Little Ro

This article can blow smoke all it wants to.

It basically answers its own question - “If this was a dollars-and-cents decision, it’s easy,” says Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek, and he’s correct. That presentation from last fall shows Arkansas loses $3.7 million per game by playing in Little Rock instead of Fayetteville – and beginning this fall, after that construction is completed, the number is expected to jump to $4.7 million."

Nobody, even the dumbest Arky, is going to take a $4.7 million loss just for the sake of "history."

It doesn't work that way.

Oklahoma and Nebraska used to be a great rivalry, now they never play.

Alabama and Ga Tech used to be a great rivalry, and they haven't met since 1984.

Pat Dye tried to pretend the whole moving the Iron Bowl scrap was about "we're gonna show those big brutes in Tuscaloosa they can't push us around," and it was REALLY all about "think about how much MONEY we can pocket if we not only force those smoke blowers to come to Auburn BUT ALSO FORCE them to buy an entire season's worth of tickets just to get the one game!"

If it's as simple as money then this decision has been made. And it has unless Little Rock can come up with a way to make more money for everyone.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Is War Memorial a decent stadium

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    It's a step below Legion Field.

Back in the day when it was next to impossible to reach Fayetteville from civilization, playing in Little Rock was the only way many could see the Hogs play. Now they have a nice stadium and good highways to Fayetteville so there is no need to play in Little Rock.
    Last edited by Elefantman; April 15th, 2018 at 03:51 PM.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

On a side note, the University of Arkansas-Little Rock is considering starting a football program. I suppose the idea is they can fill the void left when the Piggies move out completely.

To play in FBS you must sponsor 16 sports. UALR recently announced they are starting a wrestling program, which would be their 15th sport.

I think them playing at War Memorial will be like UAB at Legion Field. A huge stadium with very few people at the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    You didn't miss anything, trust me.

Get out Arky!
    i saw some absolutely great games there.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

FB|BB Moderator

For the last few years, Legion Field was a dump.

But in the late 70s heyday, it could be electric. Only one game on TV, we were it, Goodyear blimp overhead, tailgating in Mrs. Bagwell's back yard. Touchdown Café burgers, it was something.

But those days ended, and we were a bit late moving all games to Tuscaloosa.

I remember the last game there -- opening against USF on a brutally hot day. City of Birmingham did its usual bang-up job, and it took over an hour to get a coke. Utterly miserable experience all around. When it mercifully ended, Mrs. Basket Case and I simultaneously said a bunch of banned words.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I went once for the 1996 Arky-Tide game (boring as.....even though we won).

It was okay, that's about it.

I had a seat in the end zone.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation All-American

The hole will probably be bigger than $4.7m once the donors and athletic depts see the impact of no longer being able to tax deduct contributions to university athletic programs. Looks like they are about 20yrs behind us figuring this out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Depends on the era. When I was in school Alabama and Auburn played most of their major games in Legion Field, so Birmingham usually hosted about five games games, two for each school plus the Iron Bowl. If memory serves, Legion Field seated a bit shy of 50,000 and Bryant Denny (then just Denny) seated a bit over 30,000. Legion Field was reasonably well kept up in those days and certainly was better lit for night games while Denny stadium looked a bit old, tired, and poorly lit. No comparison at all where restaurants and such were concerned and there weren't a lot of hotel/motel rooms available in Tuscaloosa. Conference opponents we usually played in Birmingham include LSU, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt. We also played a game every year in Mobile, usually Tulane or LSU. Until Coach Bryant came in we usually played two games a year in Denny, and after he had a chance to impact the scheduling the on-campus games increased to three per season. Sometime around 1970 Coach Bryant ended the practice of playing a game each year in Mobile and increased the Birmingham games to four per season including the Iron Bowl. For years the only SEC opponent we consistently played on-campus was our game every other year with Miss State.

Well, you would probably have received better treatment in the hood than most of us did there towards the end...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis