What really happened between Hugh Freeze, Alabama and the SEC

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Alabama was one of at least five SEC schools that had contact with Freeze about on-field jobs this offseason. Saban wanted to hire Freeze as a co-offensive coordinator and position coach, sources told AL.com.

However, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey encouraged Alabama not to hire a man as well known for the personal shortcomings that led to his Ole Miss resignation as he is for his success as a coach.

It's the primary reason why Saban, the highest-paid and most powerful coach in college football, couldn't add Freeze to his staff this offseason, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation who provided previously unreported details about Alabama's pursuit of the former Ole Miss head coach.

It was only a few days after Saban's mid-January meeting with Freeze that he learned he couldn't make the hire. Sankey informed both Freeze and Alabama that it would look bad for the SEC for Freeze to be back coaching in the league while Ole Miss suffered from NCAA penalties incurred under his watch. The SEC preferred that Freeze, who resigned in July following a "pattern of personal misconduct," go off the radar for at least a little while before trying to return to work at one of its schools.
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/04/what_really_happened_between_h.html

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Seems reasonable. The SEC is already regarded as a good ole boy cheating conference as it is and to have the most recent offender immediately land on his feet at the premiere University in the premier conference would just add more evidence to support what everyone else already thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hey, I'm all for the guy going through Nick Saban's highly effective coaching rehab program, but goodness that would have looked bad considering Ole Miss is still under sanction.
To be honest, I couldn't care less how it looks - people are constantly hating on Saban and Alabama anyway.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
To be honest, I couldn't care less how it looks - people are constantly hating on Saban and Alabama anyway.
It's not a matter of "looks" to me, though there is that. I just think Freeze deserves to be unemployed. Of course Saban will use any edge possible and Freeze would have been a top-notch play-caller, but I'm glad he's not here. We'll win without him.

He's not going to be hurting for jobs come next year and he's got millions in the bank. In a year where we had to promote 2 relative "unknowns" to coordinator positions I can certainly see the allure of having someone as experienced and creative as Freeze calling the plays.

But in all reality, we could probably have a Wheel of Fortune wheel filled with plays that we spin in between each down to select the call and still get into the playoffs with the talent we have stacked across the offense.

I wouldn't even be surprised if he ends up on our staff next year somehow. Will be interesting to see.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can't remember if FReeze got a show-clause for being a Head Coach or not. If he didn't, he'll be coaching in the SEC two years from now.

If Auburn flames out with Gus, I think their PTB would crawl naked on broken class to offer Hugh Freeze a job at Auburn cause they think he's got CNS's #.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I can't remember if FReeze got a show-clause for being a Head Coach or not. If he didn't, he'll be coaching in the SEC two years from now.

If Auburn flames out with Gus, I think their PTB would crawl naked on broken class to offer Hugh Freeze a job at Auburn cause they think he's got CNS's #.
It was a 2 game suspension if he got a job before a date in November.

So the next time he is a head coach he won't have to worry about it. The report from the NCAA found it to be more institutional than just Freeze.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He does not - just a two game suspension if he's hired as a HC for the 2018-19 football season.

No restriction whatsoever for any other position.

Speaks volumes regarding his (known) level of involvement into Ole Miss's shenanigans...

I don't want to see Freeze on another SECW team's sideline as a HC.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm in the crowd who is glad he is not employed by the university. Winning means nothing to me if it is not done the right way. I hope Freeze will get a second chance, and I hope he redeems himself and learns from his mistakes. However, I think he should have to earn his way back through the ranks and not start back at the pinnacle. That's just my opinion.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
In a perfect world, when he was reprimanded by the NCAA, SEC management should have immediately sent a memo out to all schools they didn't want to see him hired back this coming season in any capacity.

I guess it never occurred to them that at least one head coach was innovative enough to look at doing just that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.