What really happened between Hugh Freeze, Alabama and the SEC

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Did CNS plan on CHF to be involved in any recruiting if he was able to hire him? I can't see how you could have him on the staff and have contact with recruits. Way too much down side to that. It's best that ship has sailed.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
CNS can hire whomever he wants. My opinion, which doesn't mean jack, is I am glad Sankey advised against it. I simply do not trust Freeze.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
100% Are they going to like us more now since we didn't hire him?
I also don't care what other people think of us. I care what I think of us, and I'm not a win at all costs kind of guy. It is a bit like Saban talks about playing to a standard. I think the same should apply with how we run our program. That's just me.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I really do hope Freeze gets his life together and keeps it that way. I hope that life does not involve Alabama.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
As long as this doesn’t stick out in a decade, like David Stern blocking the Chris Paul to the Lakers trade, I’m fine with protecting the image of the conference. If Saban was OK with hiring him then so am I.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I figure this was Saban playing mind games with the rest of the SEC. Hell, it may have been a tactic to ensure Freeze wasn’t able to go to a different SEC school (like one a little over 100 Miles to the east of us).

And I don’t want him anywhere near the program. There is NO WAY in my view that fans can hold stuff from 20 years ago against Dabo but let this Elmer Fudd Gantry in the building.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I also don't care what other people think of us. I care what I think of us, and I'm not a win at all costs kind of guy. It is a bit like Saban talks about playing to a standard. I think the same should apply with how we run our program. That's just me.
I understand what you're saying and agree in principle, but I doubt that many coaches have the same view of Freeze as the media (and much of the media's stance is for show) and the general public. And notice that even Sankey said that it "wouldn't look good", i.e., he was primarily concerned about appearances.

Last edited:

B1GMark

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 10, 2018
100% Are they going to like us more now since we didn't hire him?
I am new to the Bama world as my daughter just decided to go there, and will admit that I have not actively rooted for the Tide. So whether people like Alabama or not, what cannot be denied is that the program and Saban have to be respected. IMO...the program and its fan base are not necessarily going to be liked but no doubt should be respected. With that said... my daughter is excited and already bragging about the Tide! And as a program that can be respected I look forward to watching them through a different lens.

Last edited:

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I figure this was Saban playing mind games with the rest of the SEC. Hell, it may have been a tactic to ensure Freeze wasn’t able to go to a different SEC school (like one a little over 100 Miles to the east of us).

And I don’t want him anywhere near the program. There is NO WAY in my view that fans can hold stuff from 20 years ago against Dabo but let this Elmer Fudd Gantry in the building.
I have to second this. I told a friend that Saban's intent was probably nothing more than drawing the SEC (Sankey) out and trying to get them to declare Freeze untouchable in an unwritten, understandable way. Not forever, but for the immediate future. I expect he will be on the sidelines again pretty soon, maybe next season, but I hope it is not in the SEC. I'd like to see him have to work his way back through someplace like Texas Tech or Kansas. Being on the fringe of the spotlight for awhile would be good medicine for him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saban has long said he admires Freeze’s coaching. They are friends away from football (believe their lake houses are close enough for the families to hangout over the summer).

From what I’ve gathered, Saban was serious about hiring Hugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Saban has long said he admires Freeze’s coaching. They are friends away from football (believe their lake houses are close enough for the families to hangout over the summer).

I agree with you. I saw an interview with Saban when he was in Mobile recently and he said as much and also said Ms Terry and Freeze's wife are good friends.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Both ideas are not mutually exclusive, however.

(And I'm no conspiracy theorist by any means).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Saban has long said he admires Freeze’s coaching. They are friends away from football (believe their lake houses are close enough for the families to hangout over the summer). From what I’ve gathered, Saban was serious about hiring Hugh. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed and according to an ESPN article Saban will sometimes show up at Freeze's lake house on his Jet Ski

Alabama's Nick Saban hides at Lake Burton in the northeast corner of Georgia, tooling around on his pontoon boat with wife Terry. Hugh Freeze of Ole Miss, who also has a place there, says Saban "just shows up at my place on his Jet Ski." The six-time national champion explains: "I have two normals. I have football normal, and I have lake normal."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Both ideas are not mutually exclusive, however.

(And I'm no conspiracy theorist by any means).
You say you think it was Saban playing mind tricks.

I say I’ve gathered (aka been told) it was a legit offer and explain why.

Those two things are pretty exclusive.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Saban HAD to try to hire Freeze. If he didn't, believe me, he'd be somebody's OC right now. Because Saban didn't want to compete against him if he didn't have to, he "called the bluff", so to speak. "If I can't have him, no one can". So glad we have Coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.