ahsaa instant replay thoughts

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Ahsaa approved instant replay for this coming year. If I understood correctly, they "hoped" for 25% participation. I think the same company that does it for the ncaa is "sponsoring/helping/doing it"? I just don't see how most schools will be able to afford it. I help with my kid's high school filming and the way game "film" is shot, won't be able to be used much for replays. What are yall's thoughts?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
My first thought was where are most schools going to put cameras that will be of much use for replay. Also, who will operate those cameras, and do a good enough job for it to be of any use in a replay review. Wide shots will not cut it and following fast paced action while zoomed in takes a decent amount of talent. Just watch local news coverage of high school football, even those guys suck at following the action. Not much hope for a high school volunteer.

IMO, it seems like a waste of time, resources and money at the high school level.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
The Hoovers of the world might give it a shot, but I agree with the above that the quality of the photography might well limit any effectiveness.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Like I said in the op, I help with our school's film. We're a mid-pack sized 6a school and I take pride in my filming. Our coach has said on multiple occasions that we send film, way more often than not, that is head and shoulders better than the film we get. Our main camera (pressbox), is a $2500 sony that shoots in hd...it's slick. That said, the way I've been taught to "shoot" the game, would only catch the most blatantly obvious screwed up calls. You can't see the near sideline (most of the time) because of players. Don't have the angle to shoot the far sideline. Approx 50 yards from goal lines. Shoot a "box" from tailback butt to safety (or try to get all wr's in shot). I just don't see how cameras, operators and playback hardware are going to be affordable for 99% of the schools in the state.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I would only like it for game winning scores or something and like you said, it would be very hard to overturn when most games are filmed from the press box. You just can't cover enough of the field IMHO. Don't really like it as most schools are cash strapped as it is.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Think I saw a story on aldotcom that stated the costs for the schools would be $3000 the first year and $1500/yr after that. I didn't get any further into it than that. Pretty sure someone linked it in a fb post and I hate going to those links.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.