Link: LOL! LeBron's "Shop Talk" hits a new obstacle...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
His little tirade may have goaded the originators of the idea on.That would be pretty galling, having someone who stole your idea complain publicly about having it stolen from him... :D
In the Walter Isaacson book The Innovators he talks about Steve Jobs getting mad that Bill Gates stole the idea of Windows from him. Jobs stole it from someone else. I don't recall who it was now. Gates told Jobs something to the affect that Jobs getting mad at Gates was like a thief being in a house and getting mad because another thief came along and stole what the first thief wanted to get.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
In the Walter Isaacson book The Innovators he talks about Steve Jobs getting mad that Bill Gates stole the idea of Windows from him. Jobs stole it from someone else. I don't recall who it was now. Gates told Jobs something to the affect that Jobs getting mad at Gates was like a thief being in a house and getting mad because another thief came along and stole what the first thief wanted to get.
I found the story:

And the greatest robbery may have been the GUI – Graphical User Interface. But who stole? Later when he was challenged about pilfering Xerox’s ideas, Jobs quoted Picasso: “Good artists copy, great artists steal. And we have been always shameless about stealing great ideas. They were copier-heads who had no clue about what a computer could do.” [Page 365]

However when Microsoft copied Apple for Windows, it was a different story… “In the early 1980s, before the introduction of the Macintosh, Microsoft had a good relationship with Apple. In fact on the day that IBM launched its PC in August 1981, Gates was visiting Jobs at Apple, which was a regular occurrence since Microsoft was making most of its revenue writing software for the Apple II. Gates was still the supplicant in the relationship. In 1981, Apple had $334 million in revenue, compared to Microsoft’s $15 million. […] Jobs had one major worry about Microsoft: he didn’t want it to copy the graphical user interface. […] His fear that Gates would steal the idea was somewhat ironic, since Jobs himself had filched the concept from Xerox.” [Pages 366-67]

Things would go worse… “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and I found out that you had already stolen it”. [Page 368]

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And then, Gates turned around and tried to trademark the word "Windows." Lost of course...

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I found the story:
Apple paid a lot of license fees to Xerox for years, and MS initially paid license fees to Apple, and everyone was ok with the situation. Then MS, in their typical fashion, stopped paying license fees and (in effect) told Apple to "blank" themselves.* Apple sued MS, Xerox filed a defensive lawsuit against Apple - everyone mostly lost - except the lawyers, who mostly won, via the tons of fees they collected......

* Historical side-note (Factoid), about corporate "loyalty" (sic) - Though difficult to imagine today, MS would not exist were it not for Apple. We know MS as the MONOLITH that has for 30+ years made (and still makes) BBBBBillion$$$$$ selling software for "DOS" then "Windows" computers, but MS would never have been in position to make those Billions had they not gotten their start selling software for Apple and Apple II computers in the late 1970's and early 1980's before the advent of "IBM PC's"....

:)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Apple paid a lot of license fees to Xerox for years, and MS initially paid license fees to Apple, and everyone was ok with the situation. Then MS, in their typical fashion, stopped paying license fees and (in effect) told Apple to "blank" themselves.* Apple sued MS, Xerox filed a defensive lawsuit against Apple - everyone mostly lost - except the lawyers, who mostly won, via the tons of fees they collected......

* Historical side-note (Factoid), about corporate "loyalty" (sic) - Though difficult to imagine today, MS would not exist were it not for Apple. We know MS as the MONOLITH that has for 30+ years made (and still makes) BBBBBillion$$$$$ selling software for "DOS" then "Windows" computers, but MS would never have been in position to make those Billions had they not gotten their start selling software for Apple and Apple II computers in the late 1970's and early 1980's before the advent of "IBM PC's"....

:)
Actually, Gates walked off from IBM with DOS...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Now if LeBron had four barbers singing in four part harmony.... now THAT would be something new that he could copyright or patent.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'm old, so every Time I see "LBJ", I think of Lyndon Baines Johnson... :D

Me too.

But this jerk has no clue how many lawyers would love to give him the attention he craves and do it pro bono. He is realizing his star is fading and he will NEVER be as great as MJ which has turned him into one of the biggest attention whores in the celebrity world. I truly hope he gets cut down to where he belongs on this one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.