What change(s) would you make to our political process, were you granted the power?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just noticed this thread. My list:

* End lobbying. It is legalized bribery and has to stop.
* Create lifetime limits on the number of years that a person can serve in public office. Too much time in a position of power corrupts, or creates too many opportunities to corrupt. No more career politicians.
* Remove the extra 2 votes that states get for their senators in the Electoral College. The number of EC votes should be based purely on state population.
* Eliminate the Democratic and Republican parties. Force them to reorganize into 4 totally new parties, all of which can place a candidate on any ballot without restriction.
* Require a higher level of approval for SCOTUS nominees. 50% vote required in the House and 66% vote required in the Senate for approval.
* Eliminate the Federal Reserve Act.
* DA and Judge positions would no longer be decided by voters. All would be appointments and approved following the SCOTUS model outlined above, but at a state level. They would have 6 year terms.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Simply put: There is no way to fix a system not enough want to fix. Choose your sides and wait for your grandchildren to fight the second civil war in 50 years or the nation otherwise fall apart. When too few believe in honor, integrity, and justice I see little point in putting bandaids on gaping wounds.
I hope it takes 50 years - I think you're being optimistic.

The hatred I see displayed daily gives me little hope things will change, short of something drastic (such as 9/11)...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hope it takes 50 years - I think you're being optimistic.

The hatred I see displayed daily gives me little hope things will change, short of something drastic (such as 9/11)...
I agree - my boys are living under the assumption that they will live to see the end of America as we know it. We don't talk about it much, and they are not "preppers", but much as my generation grew up worried about WWIII, they worry about global warming and civil war.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A popular vote for President in the United States wont and shouldn't happen. I can get behind abolishing the EC, but a popular vote as a substitute is way too much of a headache.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A popular vote for President in the United States wont and shouldn't happen. I can get behind abolishing the EC, but a popular vote as a substitute is way too much of a headache.
That is why my suggestion works. The states still own their own elections, and the states can still choose to use their EC votes as they deem appropriate, but no state gets more votes than its population supports.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree - my boys are living under the assumption that they will live to see the end of America as we know it. We don't talk about it much, and they are not "preppers", but much as my generation grew up worried about WWIII, they worry about global warming and civil war.
I think we are probably closer to the end of the American democracy as we know it.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That is why my suggestion works. The states still own their own elections, and the states can still choose to use their EC votes as they deem appropriate, but no state gets more votes than its population supports.
So are you making a hybrid of our system and Britain's system?

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So are you making a hybrid of our system and Britain's system?
Sorta - I still want the states to have power in these elections, and the EC allows for that. All that I want is for the power imbalance to be eliminated.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sorta - I still want the states to have power in these elections, and the EC allows for that. All that I want is for the power imbalance to be eliminated.
It could work if there are 3-4 legitimate parties. You would have to find a way to break up the parties to have any chance though. But its a better idea than the status quo or PV.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Those who are really interested in effective government should study sociology. Societies follow civilizing decivilizing processes, and America is currently in the later phase. Whether you follow critical theory thinking (as I do) or process sociology thinking, you can't help but worry about the road that we are on.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Anyone who has been in office longer than 8 years is immediately fired and can no longer run for office. If you have been in office for longer than 20 years, you cannot run for anything ever.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
End the electoral college. Go to a simple majority for all national elections.

Absolish the senate and add the 100 seats to the house. Rebuild the entire legislature over the 6 year cycle.

Add 4 seats to the supreme court and appoint 4 leftist legal minds. Do a similar expansion and left-lean stuffing down the entire federal courts system. Also create a term limit for all federal judge appointments. My leaning is for a 10-12 years term with no possiblity for reappointment in a court previously seated in by appointment. You can be reappointed to a new district or circuit court but can never be appointed there again in your life. Once seated in the SC, you get your one term and done; can be reseated at a lower court by appointment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.