What change(s) would you make to our political process, were you granted the power?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If you feel everything is going great right now, then no need to respond.

However.....if you feel our political process could be improved....what would you do, if you were granted the power to wave a magic wand and have your wishes come true.

Keep in mind for the purpose of this thread - you can't create the perfect politician. You are stuck with what we have. :rolleye2:

Go for it and good luck! :)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Well if you're giving me a magic wand...

Step 1: Give Myself the Power of the Sith
Step 2: Build a Death Star
Step 3: Build a Hatch Over the Exhaust Ports
Step 4: Conquer the Galaxy and Any Other Galaxies Far Far Away

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’d make it harder to vote.

In order to vote you must:

1) pay taxes
2) receive no monies or benefits from Uncle Sam
3) outlaw hard bristle toothbrushes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I misread the title:

End the two party system
End PAC money for candidates
Agree with Go Bama - you have to pay taxes and can not be on government subsidies to vote
All ballots are in English
Require a government issued ID (DL, State ID, Passport)
You can only vote in the state where your ID is issued/the address on your ID

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Balanced budget
Eliminate debt
Eliminate trade deficits
Legalize weed and tax the hell out of it
Agree with Go Bama - To vote, you must pay taxes and receive no government subsidies
Eliminate the tax exempt status of NPOs and tax the hell out of mega-pastors.
Get out of Afghanistan & Iraq
Eliminate Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae
revamp welfare, food stamps, public housing & federal disability to be a short-term/temp help v. a generational
Attempt to address the obesity epidemic in this country
You reference Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae but they are indicative of a large higher-education problem. I think if you overhaul higher education then you'd reduce the power of those firms - plus the largest perpetrator of student loan debt is the federal government themselves.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You reference Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae but they are indicative of a large higher-education problem. I think if you overhaul higher education then you'd reduce the power of those firms - plus the largest perpetrator of student loan debt is the federal government themselves.
I changed my answers. I misread the original question. He was referring to the process itself, not if I were "King." I wish though...;)

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
#1 Make Congress subject to all laws.
#2 Force all campaign funding to come from a government fund so that everyone would have the exact same amount to spend and nobody would own them.
#3 Limit secret service protection to immediate family for a limit of one term after leaving office. (If you lay low and keep your mouth shut you will be safe enough)
#4 allow people under 40 to opt out of social security and make them responsible for their own future.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Expect a visit from a couple of individuals who say they are from the government. Good luck. ;)
Well, it would be much less efficient but I suppose a good "Plan B" would be:
1) Term Limits
2) Mandatory reduction of Federal Government spending by 50%+
3) Amendment removing the horribly abused, so-called "general welfare" clause, transferring more power back to the States
4) Privatization of as many Federal Government programs and employees as humanly possible

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
In no particular order:

1) Institute local/state/national holiday for standard voting.
2) Pay taxes to vote.
3) Term limits for all elected offices.
4) Eliminate two-party system.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
1. ID to Vote in every precinct in the country....
2. Term Limits in Congress (6 terms in the House, 2 in the Senate)
3. 10 Year Terms on the Supreme Court -- have to be re-approved after 10 -- for a second 10 year term (2 terms max)
4. All primaries/caucuses on the same day - nationwide

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How can we expect the government (full of Dems and Republicans) to mandate a 3rd (or 4th) party?

How do you even begin to do that?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I’d make it harder to vote.

In order to vote you must:

1) pay taxes
2) receive no monies or benefits from Uncle Sam
3) outlaw hard bristle toothbrushes

does #2 that include the Earned Income Tax Credit? Or subsidies? No one in oil and gas, Pharma, agriculture. So voting for only the wealthy?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
does #2 that include the Earned Income Tax Credit? Or subsidies? No one in oil and gas, Pharma, agriculture. So voting for only the wealthy?
I’m not wealthy. Neither is my mechanic, assistant, hygienist, or landscaper (that’s actually me again). Neither electrician or the plumber in my praise band or the banker in my cover band is wealthy. My sister is, but she draws SS.

EIC guys don’t get a vote in my kingdom.

My father was a farmer and was not subsidized.

It seems obvious to me that politicians get elected by promising people what they deserve but cannot afford.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
1. Term limits for congress

2. Heavily tax campaign and PAC spending on advertising. Tax receipts will go to subsidizing third, fourth party campaigns.

3. Heavily tax corporate donations to party, PAC, ect. Tax receipts will go to subsidizing third, fourth party campaigns.

4. Any elected official or government employee above a certain level may never work for any individual or corporation that conducts business with the government after leaving office or leaving their position.

5. Anyone running for office must pass a basic IQ exam.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.