News Article: Former Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick on UCF: ‘We would have whooped up on them boys’

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't think so. We lost to Ole Miss in 2014 and 2015 heck we were losing in 2016 but came back to win, no one is looking at them as our main rival. The Auburn game just means more to the average fan in the State. As a kid I remember the excitement around the Auburn game. The school getting involved. Some of your friends, or so called friends :wink:, were Auburn fans. That entire week was special. Places literally closing down to watch that game. Grocery stores dividing their store up half Alabama half Auburn. People running around stealing flags than replacing them with the opposite. Thats the good natured stuff, the bad I won't even mention.
My brother went to Auburn. I haven't talked to that boy since 1986 (his freshman year). And I still hate Tennessee more than I do Auburn.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
The main reason I didn't want to see Bama play UCF was I didn't want to let them have a shot, which would have justified their whining. It's like giving in to the bratty kid whining for ice cream.

UCF had a path to play for the NC, but it started when they were making the schedule for the 2017 season - they chose to play in a powderpuff conference and a powderpuff OOC schedule, so they didn't prove that they deserved the shot. And I hope the CFP never yields to any pressure to allow that sort of team into the play-offs. You want in? Simple, play a real schedule and earn it.

Otherwise, just shut up and enjoy the Peach Bowl.
In their defense (and don't get me wrong, I think this whole topic of them being considered champs is ridiculous), didn't they lobby pretty hard to get into the Big 12 before it was decided the Big 12 could do a championship game without the 12 members? Pretty sure UCF was one of the teams trying to get a spot. Now, some of us might make an argument against the Big 12's legitimacy as a power conference, but they are one for now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In their defense (and don't get me wrong, I think this whole topic of them being considered champs is ridiculous), didn't they lobby pretty hard to get into the Big 12 before it was decided the Big 12 could do a championship game without the 12 members? Pretty sure UCF was one of the teams trying to get a spot. Now, some of us might make an argument against the Big 12's legitimacy as a power conference, but they are one for now.
I couldn't care less, even if I tried.

The P5 teams have earned their spot, they're not some Johnny-come-lately program that's taking advantage of the NCAA's ridiculous rules that allow teams like UCF to compete at the same level as real football programs, so they'll have to earn earn spot at the table - even if that means going independent, playing P5 teams anytime, anywhere, without strings attached. Seems unfair? I don't care. If they want a spot at the table, they need to earn their way there - just whining about it while playing a glorified HS schedule isn't enough.

They want all the reward with none of the hard work.

If UCF wants it, they can earn it. It's gonna suck for a while, but how badly do they want it?

They don't, they'll not do anything different, they'll just continue to whine on the rare occasion they have a good year against marshmallows.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Not to mention they would not have won the rest of their games. If they had opened with Bama everything about their season would have been different. Look at FSU
Let's put it another way. If Alabama had played UCF the first game of the season instead of FSU, the story by the end of the season would have been that Alabama didn't really play anyone... that's how badly a rested Alabama team would have demoralized them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My brother went to Auburn. I haven't talked to that boy since 1986 (his freshman year). And I still hate Tennessee more than I do Auburn.
Is that for real? I think you’re taking the rivalry way too seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I couldn't care less, even if I tried.

The P5 teams have earned their spot, they're not some Johnny-come-lately program that's taking advantage of the NCAA's ridiculous rules that allow teams like UCF to compete at the same level as real football programs, so they'll have to earn earn spot at the table - even if that means going independent, playing P5 teams anytime, anywhere, without strings attached. Seems unfair? I don't care. If they want a spot at the table, they need to earn their way there - just whining about it while playing a glorified HS schedule isn't enough.

They want all the reward with none of the hard work.

If UCF wants it, they can earn it. It's gonna suck for a while, but how badly do they want it?

They don't, they'll not do anything different, they'll just continue to whine on the rare occasion they have a good year against marshmallows.
This is true they can take the FSU route. Play all the big boys in their house with no expectation of anything but a payday. Non of this home and home stuff. They have not earned home and home with the big boys. FSU earned their way to the big boy table. UCF can do the same if they think they are good enough.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Minkah also said Auburn was the most satisfying team to beat. I know the older generations still wants Tn. to be our main rival but the players and most of the under 40 crowd are just not buying it.
Yeah well to be fair to Minkah, the last time Tennessee was a relevant team and beat us he was about 8. Auburn on the other hand has spoiled our season or very nearly done it about every 2-3yrs.

When Tennessee beats us again one day in 10yrs or so and starts gloating, all the hate and fury will boil to the top of the “under 40s”. Kinda like with Ole Miss for a 3yr stretch, and they aren’t even historically relevant to us whatsoever.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Minkah also said Auburn was the most satisfying team to beat. I know the older generations still wants Tn. to be our main rival but the players and most of the under 40 crowd are just not buying it.
I think you are right. I hope that Vile snake never coils again, wouldn’t want Bama fans of any age to go through it. But Phat is there now, in power. He aint done.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.