News Article: NCAA Bans Former Players From Practicing

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This isn't going to help other teams or hurt Alabama. As long as the former players can still show up on campus, visit the sidelines during practice and games, and mentor current players, the advantage remains. This is the stuff that happens every day. Participating in practices is so infrequent as to almost not exist at all.

This is smoke and mirrors - the NCAA putting forth the perception that they have some control when they have none.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Why would any sane person want to ban alumni student athletes from contributing to their beloved Alma mater the best way they know how? I see nothing wrong with the fact that any coach wants former players helping the next generation get better.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Doesn't really matter, Bama is run by the best mind in the business.

That said, I'm so sick of the NCAA trying to level the playing field so undeserving schools like UCF and BSu can have a chance. They cripple advantages that teams like Alabama have earned in order to make it where these ....ant schools can 'play along'.

When will wee see the schools have enough of this garbage and walk away from the NCAA? It's beyond ridiculous.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area

It basically boils down to other teams whining about Bama so a new rule is made. This easily could have been implemented with some restrictions (eg. limiting the number of former players that could participate in a single practice) that would have leveled the playing field. Instead, the NCAA is shortsighted and flat out bans it.
The previous NCAA rules vaguely limited how often the former players could practice ("on an occasional basis"). They could have specified how often or something similar instead of this wholesale ban, imo.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I don't blame Saban for taking advantage of the rule when it was available, but I never really liked old players practicing with the team.

Getting the 1s and 2s ready for the game is one of the few highlights that a scout team player has.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't blame Saban for taking advantage of the rule when it was available, but I never really liked old players practicing with the team.

Getting the 1s and 2s ready for the game is one of the few highlights that a scout team player has.
While I get your point and tend to agree with it, some times the scout team doesn't a player that adequately compares to someone on the opposing team. Or as has been the case with Alabama at times, injuries have been the main reason for getting former players.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Facebook video I saw titled," You never know who you're going to run into at Alabama." It had Terrell Owens and Julio Jones working out at the facilities. I think the University is working around the ban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We should start pools when CNS comes up with new wrinkles on how long it takes the NCAA to ban it... :D
In a twisted kind of way, I'm fine with it. The more rules the NCAA implements to stop things, the less ways other schools to have to recruit and promote themselves.

Think about it - NCAA puts a rule in to stop Saban from doing something. Other schools can't do it, either. On a level playing field, who wins 8 times out of 10 - Nick Saban or another school?

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
This isn't going to help other teams or hurt Alabama. As long as the former players can still show up on campus, visit the sidelines during practice and games, and mentor current players, the advantage remains. This is the stuff that happens every day. Participating in practices is so infrequent as to almost not exist at all.

This is smoke and mirrors - the NCAA putting forth the perception that they have some control when they have none.
Well said.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Has the NCAA banned Fortune Magazine from naming Coach Saban one of the 50 greatest leaders in the world? I think that might be a recruiting advantage.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
But in reality, no current NFL player is going to come back to fill in at practice. It's a concurrent season, so they'll have their own team responsibilities. And I would imagine their teams and agents would not be too keen on them putting themselves in a position to be injured at the practice.

It basically boils down to other teams whining about Bama so a new rule is made. This easily could have been implemented with some restrictions (eg. limiting the number of former players that could participate in a single practice) that would have leveled the playing field. Instead, the NCAA is shortsighted and flat out bans it.
This ^^^ And really, I agree with most of the posts in this thread.

The key word is WHINING!!!

That was the #1 motivation behind ALL the "Bryant Rules" in the 1970's and ALL the "Saban Rules" these days - the snowflake mentality that says Everyone "Deserves" a Trophy, and that it's "Unfair" for someone to EARN an advantage by working harder and smarter: Achievement? Merit? Earning it? Oh "Blank" No! That is somehow a form of "Discrimination" against those who don't want to work hard or be smart. :mad2:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
What seems to be lost on these people is football prowess runs in cycles. When they are on top and not mighty Bama, they will not be able to enjoy all of the perceived advantages.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
This rule says nothing about former players working out on campus or hanging out with the team. I think it’s great when former players return. That in itself is an advantage for schools that have a lot of pros and it’s an earned advantage.

I do disagree with a former player being allowed to actually practice. There are rules surrounding how many days and hours teams can practice, so it should not be a surprise that practice is now limited to players with eligibility remaining.

I think many college football fans would be ok if we just let the players wear the school uniform, drop the student part of student athlete, and convert college FB into a professional developmental league. I’m one who wants to hold on to what it’s supposed to be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.