News Article: NCAA Bans Former Players From Practicing

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Somehow it’s a recruiting advantage.

https://articles.al.com/alabamafoot...ed_ex-playe.amp#click=https://t.co/OUQnhkgijE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only if you have our stable of NFL talent.

Nobody actualyl cares if Taj Boyd came back to help Clemson. They don't want Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, Jonathan Allen, Chance Warmack, Cyrus Kouandjio, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Landon Collins, Amari Cooper, Donta Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Mark Barron or Marcell Dareus back on campus.

Most other colleges can't hang with that list.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Stupid new rule! I sure don't see the recruiting advantage. The players that helped in practice were not current NFL players, just former players.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Hang out at practice and accidently drop some pictures with their signatures on them [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
They just keep trying to legislative away our advantages... Coach Saban just keeps coming up with new ways to gain the next advantage. He outworks everyone. What a great time to be a Bama fan!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
At this rate, they’re going to ban all of our players from getting drafted in the 1st round because it’s a recruiting advantage. Oh, and we are no longer eligible for the playoffs...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Re: New NCAA rule about former players

Someone correct me if I am wrong (Selma), but didn't some teams (Not Alabama) used to have their spring game with former players against current players? I have a vague recollection of this.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Someone correct me if I am wrong (Selma), but didn't some teams (Not Alabama) used to have their spring game with former players against current players? I have a vague recollection of this.
We did that in 1985. Starters vs former players including Newsome and Snake.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Let's skip to the end of this game and just announce what other schools wants announce, "The Banning of Alabama from winning more National Championships."

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Only if you have our stable of NFL talent.

Nobody actualyl cares if Taj Boyd came back to help Clemson. They don't want Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, Jonathan Allen, Chance Warmack, Cyrus Kouandjio, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Landon Collins, Amari Cooper, Donta Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Mark Barron or Marcell Dareus back on campus.

Most other colleges can't hang with that list.
But in reality, no current NFL player is going to come back to fill in at practice. It's a concurrent season, so they'll have their own team responsibilities. And I would imagine their teams and agents would not be too keen on them putting themselves in a position to be injured at the practice.

It basically boils down to other teams whining about Bama so a new rule is made. This easily could have been implemented with some restrictions (eg. limiting the number of former players that could participate in a single practice) that would have leveled the playing field. Instead, the NCAA is shortsighted and flat out bans it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.