ESPN: Football is a refuge as Alabama OC grieves son's unsolved murder

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"Boom, boom, boom," Kia said, "like somebody was trying to break the door down."

They both jumped up and went to the door. Mike looked through the peephole and saw three officers from the University of Alabama Police Department. Kia assumed one of the Crimson Tide players had gotten into some trouble. It never crossed her mind the visit might involve one of her children.

Mike had a different, more sickening feeling.

One of the officers asked him if he was Michael Locksley.

"Please don't tell me my son is dead," he said.

"I got really ....ed at him," Kia said. "Why would you say something like that? They hadn't said anything but, 'Are you Michael Locksley?' I was yelling at him, 'Don't say things like that!' They confirmed it and I didn't want to believe it."

There was no way to ease the blow.

At around 10 p.m. on Sept. 3 in Columbia, Maryland, Meiko Locksley was shot and killed. He was 25.
Football is a refuge as Alabama OC grieves son's unsolved murder

So heart-breaking to read this. Hug your loved ones every chance you get...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Man, the "Please don't tell me my son is dead" got me. I hadn't followed this story too closely up to this point but this article is a good one. I wasn't aware that his son struggled with schizoaffective disorder. I have an uncle who struggles with it as well and it's not an easy or glamorous life. I'm a big Locksley fan and I really hope he has a ton of success as our OC.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Man, the "Please don't tell me my son is dead" got me. I hadn't followed this story too closely up to this point but this article is a good one. I wasn't aware that his son struggled with schizoaffective disorder. I have an uncle who struggles with it as well and it's not an easy or glamorous life. I'm a big Locksley fan and I really hope he has a ton of success as our OC.
Especially after reading this article.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
What a great story. So sorry for the family and the still unknown of what happened. I had wondered at the time, how he was able to continue on, though I knew that it had to be day by day and that he had said he needed football to help getting through it. Proud to have him on leading our offense. Hope we give him more great moments, knowing nothing can replace his son, but at least he has a lot of guys on the team that he can be a mentor to.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
I didn’t know about this situation. Very tough,
Prayers for coach and his family.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
Having lived through a similar visit from law enforcement/coroner regarding a son, it never goes away...it never gets easier...there are few places of refuge or sanctuary. I pray for the Locksley family...their grief is a life sentence, it never ends.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.