2019 Prospect: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) commits to UGA

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) Updates

Wow, a lot of Kirby hating these days! Did you guys honestly think he was going to roll over for Bama on the recruiting trail once he became a head coach somewhere else?
Certainly would not expect him or anyone else leaving for a head coaching position to "roll over ". Having said that, not rolling over and not being a snake are not mutually exclusive. And before you ask me to what I`m referring, please do some homework regarding what transpired at the time of his departure.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

OK, guys relax on Webb.
the kid will be in Crimson soon enough. he will commit when he is ready. he said he will publicly commit around December, the early signing period.
perhaps sooner, we shall see.

I know its seems far fetch to believe this, but many connected to the program have stated that Webb " actually recruits for Bama" more so than the ones already committed.

he went to Georgia for the Atlanta camp where he dominated, only one DE got passed him. Webb is a stud and the 5 star label is legit!
he has family in Athens so he stopped by to see them as well.

last thing, don't buy the false rumors about his parents educational background. both parents are from Alabama and graduated from JSU not UGA!

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

Not at all... we just thought that after all of the years at The Capstone he would have maintained some of the class that he showed while here...He let that go before he even got out the door...SMH...
I'm not familiar with what Kirby did before he left Bama. I heard something about copying a board or something, but is there any real evidence of was it the machinations of a press corp that likes to drum up fake news?

If you think about this logically and also follow what recruits say about their discussions with Kirby Smart, these accusations seem baseless. Georgia has phenomenal academics, superb academic support staff, Top 5 sports facilities and is located in the Top 2 best college towns in America. Why would Kirby Smart waste his time telling recruits that Saban is going to retire soon? It makes no sense.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

OK, guys relax on Webb.
the kid will be in Crimson soon enough. he will commit when he is ready. he said he will publicly commit around December, the early signing period.
perhaps sooner, we shall see.

I know its seems far fetch to believe this, but many connected to the program have stated that Webb " actually recruits for Bama" more so than the ones already committed.

he went to Georgia for the Atlanta camp where he dominated, only one DE got passed him. Webb is a stud and the 5 star label is legit!
he has family in Athens so he stopped by to see them as well.

last thing, don't buy the false rumors about his parents educational background. both parents are from Alabama and graduated from JSU not UGA!
Webb also attended G-Day.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

You read this board. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Not going to appease you any further. He was great here, he has an opportunity to be great at UGA. Not sure why you'd burn bridges with your mentor and arguably the best coach in CFB history...and enough of the "fake news." Find your own gimmick...RTR!
I'm not familiar with what Kirby did before he left Bama. I heard something about copying a board or something, but is there any real evidence of was it the machinations of a press corp that likes to drum up fake news?

If you think about this logically and also follow what recruits say about their discussions with Kirby Smart, these accusations seem baseless. Georgia has phenomenal academics, superb academic support staff, Top 5 sports facilities and is located in the Top 2 best college towns in America. Why would Kirby Smart waste his time telling recruits that Saban is going to retire soon? It makes no sense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Because a recruit is going to tell a reporter "Yeah, Saban and Alabama claim I'm high on their board, but Coach Smart showed me the picture of the board. I know where Alabama really has me." :rolleyes:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Mr. Trump? Izzatchoo? I didn’t know you were a Georgia fan.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

You read this board. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Not going to appease you any further. He was great here, he has an opportunity to be great at UGA. Not sure why you'd burn bridges with your mentor and arguably the best coach in CFB history...and enough of the "fake news." Find your own gimmick...RTR!
I went back and reread the AL.com story. I'm not buying it - unsubstantiated at best and sour grapes at worst. Having said that, I don't think you guys have anything to worry about concerning Webb. I think he's all Crimson Tide. You'll be getting a good one too.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

According to these websites, Athens is far from Top 2. in fact, I needed to go through the list at least twice to see if my eyes were deceiving me.

here are the results:

https://www.bestcollegereviews.org/50-best-college-towns-america/ no where to be found
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-college-towns-in-america-2016-7 no where to be found
http://www.collegeranker.com/features/best-college-towns/ # 17 on this website
https://articles.niche.com/best-college-towns/ no where to be found
http://www.collegerank.net/best-college-towns/ # 10 on this website
https://livability.com/top-10/college no where to be found

please give me a source that can back up your claim. go back to 2017 if you have to.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

Because a recruit is going to tell a reporter "Yeah, Saban and Alabama claim I'm high on their board, but Coach Smart showed me the picture of the board. I know where Alabama really has me." :rolleyes:
This mule is flogged, dead and the bones are turning to dust... HOWEVER, where's the evidence? Did anyone see Kirby taking a picture of the board? Answer: NO. There's just speculation. Do you honestly think he needed a photograph of the Bama board to know where these players were ranked? He'd been staring at it for months, not to mention contributing to it based on the players he was recruiting. UGA's class was 85%+ complete by the time Kirby came into the picture. His primary focus after leaving Bama was preventing Jacob Eason from going to Florida or Washington. I think all this gnashing of teeth over Kirby Smart makes you guys look petty and small. You're better than that!

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

According to these websites, Athens is far from Top 2. in fact, I needed to go through the list at least twice to see if my eyes were deceiving me.

here are the results:

https://www.bestcollegereviews.org/50-best-college-towns-america/ no where to be found
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-college-towns-in-america-2016-7 no where to be found
http://www.collegeranker.com/features/best-college-towns/ # 17 on this website
https://articles.niche.com/best-college-towns/ no where to be found
http://www.collegerank.net/best-college-towns/ # 10 on this website
https://livability.com/top-10/college no where to be found

please give me a source that can back up your claim. go back to 2017 if you have to.
Does this work?
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/na...athens-ga-is-the-best-college-town-in-america

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Wow, a lot of Kirby hating these days! Did you guys honestly think he was going to roll over for Bama on the recruiting trail once he became a head coach somewhere else?
It's about class. It's about meaning the words you say and being the proper example for the young men you're coaching. Nobody here has really cared about smart weighing on the recruiting trails until they found out he was doing it without class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) Updates

This mule is flogged, dead and the bones are turning to dust... HOWEVER, where's the evidence? Did anyone see Kirby taking a picture of the board? Answer: NO. There's just speculation. Do you honestly think he needed a photograph of the Bama board to know where these players were ranked?
Seriously? You’re going to require that someone has a picture of or was an eyewitness to Kirby taking a picture of the board before you will believe that it happened? Do you really think Kirby would stand there with his arms outstretched and his phone in his hand with anyone else around while he takes a picture of the recruiting board? Of course not! He would wait until no one else was around to take the picture. Therefore it is not likely that anyone else saw him do it, if in fact it did happen. For the record: I was not there did not see it happen.

Also, can’t you see that it would be more persuasive to a recruit to show them a picture of where that recruit stands on the Bama board compared to simply telling them where they are on Bama’s recruiting board? That’s the value of why he might have done it.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Once again he's trolling. Not his first rodeo. Giving him more feedback than we should. I'm done. ByeByte...RTR!!!
Seriously? You’re going to require that someone has a picture of or was an eyewitness to Kirby taking a picture of the board before you will believe that it happened? Do you really think Kirby would stand there with his arms outstretched and his phone in his hand with anyone else around while he takes a picture of the recruiting board? Of course not! He would wait until no one else was around to take the picture. Therefore it is not likely that anyone else saw him do it, if in fact it did happen. For the record: I was not there did not see it happen.

Also, can’t you see that it would be more persuasive to a recruit to show them a picture of where that recruit stands on the Bama board compared to simply telling them where they are on Bama’s recruiting board? That’s the value of why he might have done it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I understand why a GA fan would back his head coach who is also a GA grad and former player. For me, the stuff with the recruits doesn't bother me as much as what he did with Smith. He was clearly tampering with a player on another team - convincing him that he would start at GA immediately so he would transfer. Without the tampering, Smith stays at Alabama.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I understand why a GA fan would back his head coach who is also a GA grad and former player. For me, the stuff with the recruits doesn't bother me as much as what he did with Smith. He was clearly tampering with a player on another team - convincing him that he would start at GA immediately so he would transfer. Without the tampering, Smith stays at Alabama.
And all the while, refusing to let players transfer to Miami who wanted to play for Richt

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I seriously doubt our UGA fan would believe it, certainly wouldn't admit it, even if he'd been in the room with Smart taking the picture himself. Considering his denials, perhaps... Actually, I don't really care about the existence/nonexistence of said picture. Smart lost all credibility in how he handled the Smith case. He instigated it, propagated it, tried to act innocent regarding it, and forced Coach Saban to take the heat for it. As we say in the South, he was raised better than that. By the way, did Smith ever hold up his end of the academic side of the transfer?

As for the town/campus, I've only been there once (2015, a 38-10 thrashing) but after the game it looked like the Athens sanitation department had made a trash pickup run all over the city and then dumped every bit of it in, on, and around the stadium. The only place I've seen worse was Red Stick. So, yeah, I believe Athens is #2 in this instance. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.