2019 Prospect: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) commits to UGA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) Updates

If he is a true Bama fan, hopefully he has already given assurances to our coaches. If no assurances have been given, I don’t understand why he would cause our coaches to expend much unnecessary energy to continue to recruit him. If I were him, and I planned all along to accept a Bama offer, I would want the coaches spending their time recruiting other great teammates for me.
Ummm, if I was an Alabama fan and had a chance to play for Saban, I would have committed a long time ago. I think that it is fair to assume that anyone uncommitted at this time has decided not to let their "fandom" make this decision for them. Other factors will decide this for those who remain uncommitted right now.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Ummm, if I was an Alabama fan and had a chance to play for Saban, I would have committed a long time ago. I think that it is fair to assume that anyone uncommitted at this time has decided not to let their "fandom" make this decision for them. Other factors will decide this for those who remain uncommitted right now.
Some just like the experience of
taking the visits........ me, I would
commit on the spot

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If he is a true Bama fan, hopefully he has already given assurances to our coaches. If no assurances have been given, I don’t understand why he would cause our coaches to expend much unnecessary energy to continue to recruit him. If I were him, and I planned all along to accept a Bama offer, I would want the coaches spending their time recruiting other great teammates for me.
Kind of sums up how I feel. I don`t know if Clay`s taken all of his official visits. If he hasn`t, then I suppose I could understand if he`s truly " undecided ". IMHO, any kid that has completed official visits, in the majority of cases, in all likelihood knows where he wants to go at this stage,

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany

Exactly. At this point you do nothing to three teams except hurt two of them because you can not make up your mind and they save a spot for you.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Really guys? There's more to recruiting than fandom and Saban being the GOAT.

Thankfully Quinnen and Rashan didn't puck a school based on their fandom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Saban is the closer, and I think he lands this one as well......

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

Exactly. At this point you do nothing to three teams except hurt two of them because you can not make up your mind and they save a spot for you.
This is the time, for the kids, it can be about them, also we do not know what may have happened behind the scenes. He could have easily told the other two to move on, does not seem to be the case here. There are very few, if any instances with elite programs where one recruit will break them.
I am not going to cry for the universities, it is part of recruiting, gambling. Better have your backups sorted out.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I am not going to cry for the universities, it is part of recruiting, gambling. Better have your backups sorted out.
Exactly.

I know of a kid that received a call from a SEC assistant the morning of NSD asking him to wait until said school heard from another recruit. He politely told the coach to take a hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

I believe Webb is a Bama lean, but he's keeping his cards close to the vest, so nobody really knows. Regarding the issue of why it's taking him so long... based on what I've read he has strong 'likes' in different areas of each of the Top 3 programs. The only thing holding Georgia in there that I'm aware of is Clay's strong relationship with Coach Sam Pittman.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Well written post that contributes to the overall conversation...TY...RTR!!!
I believe Webb is a Bama lean, but he's keeping his cards close to the vest, so nobody really knows. Regarding the issue of why it's taking him so long... based on what I've read he has strong 'likes' in different areas of each of the Top 3 programs. The only thing holding Georgia in there that I'm aware of is Clay's strong relationship with Coach Sam Pittman.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Exactly. We typically get who we want especially in-state but picking at a kid because he has not made up his mind is ridiculous. This is one of the most important decisions he will make and he certainly has the right to take his time to make a decision. I think he eventually signs with us but if he does not that is OK and will hold nothing against him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Exactly. We typically get who we want especially in-state but picking at a kid because he has not made up his mind is ridiculous. This is one of the most important decisions he will make and he certainly has the right to take his time to make a decision. I think he eventually signs with us but if he does not that is OK and will hold nothing against him.
Yep - but you are going to have to explain to me why a top lineman who already loves Alabama would choose to go anywhere other than Alabama. Fandom aside, there is no other place that offers him the same chance of making the NFL - not even close.

I get that fandom and coaching relationships can muddy the water when a player wants to go one place but another school would clearly better prepare him for the NFL, but that is not the case here. Here, both align. This one just makes no sense to me, but kids are kids.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Hmmm. Well, a relationship with an assist coach doesn't sound like enough reason to pick a school if no other reason is given (Academic Support, Career Opportunities, Major, Tradition, etc...).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yep - but you are going to have to explain to me why a top lineman who already loves Alabama would choose to go anywhere other than Alabama. Fandom aside, there is no other place that offers him the same chance of making the NFL - not even close.

I get that fandom and coaching relationships can muddy the water when a player wants to go one place but another school would clearly better prepare him for the NFL, but that is not the case here. Here, both align. This one just makes no sense to me, but kids are kids.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Just saying there is no need to be slamming the kid for not making his decision already.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I have no personal knowledge but my impression was the he was not a Bama fan. In fact, if he leaned anywhere it was to AU. He has a good relationship with Pierce Quick who is a strong Bama fan. Anyway, if someone actually knows for sure that Webb is a strong Bama fan, please speak up.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Just saying there is no need to be slamming the kid for not making his decision already.
Totally agree, and I apologize if I came off that way. Heck, I wouldn't slam him if he chose a school other than Alabama (well, maybe if he joins UM :wink:).

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

The kid will decide to go where he chooses. Of course, would love his choice be Bama but if not, that's OK. Maybe the potential for extreme competition is a bit daunting for him. Being as highly rated as he is, I doubt that is the case. From all reports, he is one of the best OL in the country. If all things are equal between his potential teams, think of his family who will not have such a long commute to games if he chooses Bama. Family first.

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK

I don’t believe anyone is slamming him. Several said they believed he had been a Bama fan and/or that he was leaning towards Bama. It just seems that if (big IF) that is true he should have strong motivation to not delay his announcement. That motivation being to help the coaches surround him with other talent, rather than spending their time continuing to recruit him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.