2019 Prospect: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) commits to UGA

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
GA fans crowing about taking the best player in the state of Alabama. I hear that he wants to play tackle. Good luck with this guy, GA fans. :biggrin:
Should Oxford, Alabama be ceded to Georgia. The way they were cheering, that room was either all full of Georgia or barn fans. Can't believe BAMA fans would have been cheering like that.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Should Oxford, Alabama be ceded to Georgia. The way they were cheering, that room was either all full of Georgia or barn fans. Can't believe BAMA fans would have been cheering like that.
my nephew and sister lives in Oxford/ Anniston area. its always been a mixed bag of Bama/ Auburn fans. the school cheering him on was expected. these are his classmates and friends. they only want the best for him. we as die hard Tide fans perceived it differently of course. :biggrin2:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm trying to recall the last time we got a prized recruit out of Oxford High. Most take the Terry Henley fellowship and wind up at Auburn. We did lose Kwon Alexander to LSU when we slow-played him and offered him a gray shirt. It's not a Georgia town. Calhoun County has long been split down the middle between the in-state schools.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Ross Pierschbacher is gone to the league after this year right? Seems like Webb would have coveted the opportunity to play center at Bama as a true freshman.

I thought it was odd he never would go ahead and commit. Guess we know why now.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
You guys would beat us badly this year. I'm just messing with you. ;)
I was trying to be subtle, but I really do believe it. ;) In fact I recently brought it up as a topic on another board.

One of the things I hoped the new Playoff system would fix was the Bowl contracts. I believe they should go out the window. I think the Top 6 Bowls (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Peach and Fiesta) should take the highest ranked team, regardless of conference. In that scenario #5 Georgia would play #6 Ohio St. IMO that's a much more compelling match than either OSU vs Wash. or Georgia vs Texas. Alas it's not to be. Perhaps if we ever get around to a 8 team Playoff that's how the Bowl system will work.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It's a very rare occurrence for anyone other than Bama to land a #1 player from the State of Alabama. I think over the last 15 years Bama has produced 21 5*'s and the Tide have inked 16. That's an incredible record. FWIW, the plan is for Webb to play Guard until he learns the offense and line calls, then slide over to Center.
Bama lost the number one player in the state last year. They also lost Jameis Winston, probably the most coveted player from the state in the Saban era other than Julio. Webb was never a Bama fan, he went to AU camps as a youth, not Bama. Really he would be more of an AU loss if they had been a player. On field losses are tough to swallow - I guess one takes consolation wherever they find it, no matter how empty. Pittman is a good coach and recruiter.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Re: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) Updates

Now that we missed out on Webb who else do we get on the offensive line ? Neal may be going to FSU, too.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It's a very rare occurrence for anyone other than Bama to land a #1 player from the State of Alabama. I think over the last 15 years Bama has produced 21 5*'s and the Tide have inked 16. That's an incredible record. FWIW, the plan is for Webb to play Guard until he learns the offense and line calls, then slide over to Center.
So basically when he learns to play Center?!?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Bama lost the number one player in the state last year. They also lost Jameis Winston, probably the most coveted player from the state in the Saban era other than Julio. Webb was never a Bama fan, he went to AU camps as a youth, not Bama. Really he would be more of an AU loss if they had been a player. On field losses are tough to swallow - I guess one takes consolation wherever they find it, no matter how empty. Pittman is a good coach and recruiter.
James Winston was no loss...really!!!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Ross Pierschbacher is gone to the league after this year right? Seems like Webb would have coveted the opportunity to play center at Bama as a true freshman.

I thought it was odd he never would go ahead and commit. Guess we know why now.
Yes, but as Lizard stated we have Ekior (sp) who was the #1 or #2 center in the '18 class. I believe Owens from TX could be our next one but I trust we will find a dominating best five.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Yes, but as Lizard stated we have Ekior (sp) who was the #1 or #2 center in the '18 class. I believe Owens from TX could be our next one but I trust we will find a dominating best five.
Alabama will have three starters on the line back next year (Leatherwood, Wills and Brown). My guess is that Owens is the next in line and Womack finds a spot somewhere. Leatherwood will likely take Jonah's spot.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If we get the offensive line recruits still on the board, Webb would have had tremendous competition in his own class, much less what's waiting among upperclassmen.

As for next year's line ... Is it just me or does Wills appear to have quicker feet than Leatherwood?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama will have three starters on the line back next year (Leatherwood, Wills and Brown). My guess is that Owens is the next in line and Womack finds a spot somewhere. Leatherwood will likely take Jonah's spot.
I think that Owens will play center and Womack will start at LT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.