2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) commits to UGA - Page 8
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Jkl0802 View Post
    Who is Sam Pitman?
    Georgia OL coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Really guys? There's more to recruiting than fandom and Saban being the GOAT.

Thankfully Quinnen and Rashan didn't puck a school based on their fandom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Exactly. We typically get who we want especially in-state but picking at a kid because he has not made up his mind is ridiculous. This is one of the most important decisions he will make and he certainly has the right to take his time to make a decision. I think he eventually signs with us but if he does not that is OK and will hold nothing against him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Exactly. We typically get who we want especially in-state but picking at a kid because he has not made up his mind is ridiculous. This is one of the most important decisions he will make and he certainly has the right to take his time to make a decision. I think he eventually signs with us but if he does not that is OK and will hold nothing against him.
    Yep - but you are going to have to explain to me why a top lineman who already loves Alabama would choose to go anywhere other than Alabama. Fandom aside, there is no other place that offers him the same chance of making the NFL - not even close.

I get that fandom and coaching relationships can muddy the water when a player wants to go one place but another school would clearly better prepare him for the NFL, but that is not the case here. Here, both align. This one just makes no sense to me, but kids are kids.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    I believe Webb is a Bama lean, but he's keeping his cards close to the vest, so nobody really knows. Regarding the issue of why it's taking him so long... based on what I've read he has strong 'likes' in different areas of each of the Top 3 programs. The only thing holding Georgia in there that I'm aware of is Clay's strong relationship with Coach Sam Pittman.
    Hmmm. Well, a relationship with an assist coach doesn't sound like enough reason to pick a school if no other reason is given (Academic Support, Career Opportunities, Major, Tradition, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Yep - but you are going to have to explain to me why a top lineman who already loves Alabama would choose to go anywhere other than Alabama. Fandom aside, there is no other place that offers him the same chance of making the NFL - not even close.

I get that fandom and coaching relationships can muddy the water when a player wants to go one place but another school would clearly better prepare him for the NFL, but that is not the case here. Here, both align. This one just makes no sense to me, but kids are kids.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. Just saying there is no need to be slamming the kid for not making his decision already.

BamaNation All-American

I have no personal knowledge but my impression was the he was not a Bama fan. In fact, if he leaned anywhere it was to AU. He has a good relationship with Pierce Quick who is a strong Bama fan. Anyway, if someone actually knows for sure that Webb is a strong Bama fan, please speak up.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Just saying there is no need to be slamming the kid for not making his decision already.
    Totally agree, and I apologize if I came off that way. Heck, I wouldn't slam him if he chose a school other than Alabama (well, maybe if he joins UM ).

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

The kid will decide to go where he chooses. Of course, would love his choice be Bama but if not, that's OK. Maybe the potential for extreme competition is a bit daunting for him. Being as highly rated as he is, I doubt that is the case. From all reports, he is one of the best OL in the country. If all things are equal between his potential teams, think of his family who will not have such a long commute to games if he chooses Bama. Family first.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

I donít believe anyone is slamming him. Several said they believed he had been a Bama fan and/or that he was leaning towards Bama. It just seems that if (big IF) that is true he should have strong motivation to not delay his announcement. That motivation being to help the coaches surround him with other talent, rather than spending their time continuing to recruit him.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    I believe Webb is a Bama lean, but he's keeping his cards close to the vest, so nobody really knows. Regarding the issue of why it's taking him so long... based on what I've read he has strong 'likes' in different areas of each of the Top 3 programs. The only thing holding Georgia in there that I'm aware of is Clay's strong relationship with Coach Sam Pittman.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Well written post that contributes to the overall conversation...TY...RTR!!!
    Ols is exactly right.

I know nothing about Webb's preference, and so have no opinion as to his leanings. I hope he ends up in Tuscaloosa, but that's a fan speaking with no factual foundation whatsoever.

Your information about his relationship with Pittman is relevant, and the kind of thing we value on TideFans.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; November 21st, 2018 at 09:12 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
    I don’t believe anyone is slamming him. Several said they believed he had been a Bama fan and/or that he was leaning towards Bama. It just seems that if (big IF) that is true he should have strong motivation to not delay his announcement. That motivation being to help the coaches surround him with other talent, rather than spending their time continuing to recruit him.
    This is a big part of the recruiting process and coaches expect it with high profile players. The coaches motivation at this point is to sign the guy no matter the circumstance or how hard they have to work for it.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

We fans have a hard time believing any recruit would turn down our school. However, everyone has different preferences and desires...most of them are subconscious, unknown even to the player.

Never rip a player for going somewhere else...it's their life and their decision. Just Be Thankful and cheer for those who come to Bama.
    Last edited by Padreruf; November 22nd, 2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: grammar
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    We fans have a hard time believing any recruit would turn down our school. However, everyone has different preferences and desires...most of them are subconscious, unknown even to the player.

Never rip a player for going somewhere else...it's their life and their decision. Just Be Thankful and cheer for those who come to Bama.
    You`re right of course Padre, I guess it`s just that coming to Alabama with CNS and his staffs is such an obvious entre into the NFL that it`s hard to understand. That`s provided, of course, that playing in the league is a kid`s ultimate goal.