2019 Prospect: 2019 5* C Clay Webb (Oxford, AL) commits to UGA

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Totally agree. His whole family is Jawja. His mother just took a job in Bama. I'm sure Kirby used it as a stealth project so Bama would waste their time on Webb. This is a closed subject. I know CNS knew what was up and He's not lost any sleep over it.
As I have said before, we did not go in-home with him and the family. It is impossible to do that with every kid, but not a kid just down the interstate.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Guess GA fans need something to crow about after losing twice in Bama in 2018 . . . I'll take those wins over a recruit any day!
Georgia fans think Sanders is a lock, so they will be 2-0 on The recruiting trail vs Bama. Plays into the narrative that Bama is trending down and the Dawgs are trending up. I’ve often had to remind them this year that the only twos that count this year are in the loss column. As in Bama has zero and they have two. Anyway, for the sake of this argument most Dawg fans never take into consideration that most recruits that each school go after, are head to head battles.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Exactly and I may be the only one but I truly think this was orchestrated by Kirby and company so it would look like they took a big one from Bama right before early signing day. To be honest I'm actually surprised he is not committed to Bama right now so he can do his "surprising" flip next week and sign with them Wednesday.
No doubt the kid was asked to do this, but all indications are that he isn't the kind that would agree to do that. Good luck to him.

At this point, this thread is kind of like beating a dead horse...

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
He was a GA kid masquerading as a Bama kid from day 1
exactly. this will be my last post on Webb. you don't have to be an expert on scouting or recruiting moderator to know that Webb had visited Athens " multiple" times to know where his heart was truly at. I'm sure he liked Alabama and the thought of playing with Bama commits Quick and Tyson crossed his mind numerous times. after all, they were good friends, how could you not entertained that idea. as Dawgbite mentioned, Webb talked about Alabama's wining culture and rich traditions, but in the end his family roots and ties to the state of Georgia was where he would ultimately wind up. aside from his parents, the remainder of the family lives around Athens. the decision was easy for him.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I thought he was a Bama born and bred guy and didn't know the connections to GA.

However, that said, it's refreshing that a kid in 2018 didn't use social media to jerk people around and kept his feeling to himself and then made a decision.

We don't have to like the decision, but I see no reason to "invent" theories as to "why" he did what he did. I think it's refreshing how he went about his recruitment.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You see- that is the difference in Bama fans and Georgia fans. Bama fans that keep up with recruiting knew just about everything about his family connections to Athens. His decision surprised no one over here.
It was only recently reported that his sister went to Georgia and even then we didn't think that would be a factor in his decision. Clay when he did speak, said flattering things about Bama's culture and winning tradition. If you look at the track record of trying to pull 5*'s out of the state of Alabama you can get a better perspective on why we thought Webb was a Bama lock.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
You see- that is the difference in Bama fans and Georgia fans. Bama fans that keep up with recruiting knew just about everything about his family connections to Athens. His decision surprised no one over here.
If that was true, do you believe there would be 16 pages and 207 posts devoted to a commit everyone thought was going to Georgia?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If that was true, do you believe there would be 16 pages and 207 posts devoted to a commit everyone thought was going to Georgia?
Not everyone here is a recruiting expert, and even the ones that are weren't given any reason to not think that his recruitment wasn't progressing and that he was at least considering Alabama.

Recruiting has changed the last few years in that it seems the recruits are giving out more false information in regards to their interest in Alabama in order to keep their recruitment in the limelight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Clearly we thought that we had a shot for a long time. In the end though, it was fairly obvious that he wasn't going to be a part of this class.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
yes, for as you have said, he did keep it close to the vest. He's a good poker player. our five star threads are much larger than our 3 star threads, for certain.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Geez!

So what is it exactly that you are fishing for?

You got the kid. Congrats... :rolleye2:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Webb is being sued for bullying another athlete when he was a senior at Oxford. Wow. Hard to know if Kirby knew about this (I doubt he did unless the football coaches were honest about it), but it was all over the school. I wonder why the victim's dad waited this long to sue. Link is below. I know Bama tried hard to get this kid too.

alleged-high-school-prank-bullying-leads-to-federal-suit-against-former-oxford-5-star-recruit.html
High character Kirby. Wouldn’t make a difference even if he did

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
And on Nov. 1, 2018, almost a month after the incident, a car drove by the plaintiff’s home and threw a Gatorade bottle into the yard and yelled insults, according to the complaint.
Must be one of those new smart cars.

Does anyone know how to write anymore?

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Webb is being sued for bullying another athlete when he was a senior at Oxford. Wow. Hard to know if Kirby knew about this (I doubt he did unless the football coaches were honest about it), but it was all over the school. I wonder why the victim's dad waited this long to sue. Link is below. I know Bama tried hard to get this kid too.

alleged-high-school-prank-bullying-leads-to-federal-suit-against-former-oxford-5-star-recruit.html
read that. ITS DISGUSTING!!!

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.