Braxton Key Transferring from Alabama

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
If he doesn't gain some humility and coachability, he's going to be very disappointed in about 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He sure didn’t act like he wanted to be top option last year, turned into one of the most tentative players I’ve seen
The word "tentative" is the perfect word to describe him. On top of that he's really kinda slow for this level and his shooting is average at best.

Unless something changes I don't see him ever playing in the D-league.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think the injury set him back. I think he will play in the league eventually. He has some stuff you can't coach. I think in a few years we will be talking about how good he looks for......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Braxton is expected to sign with UVA. Someone needs to explain this one to me. Seems like an odd fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
may be a good spot for him. I think he's better suited for a slower pace of play such as VA. And of course it's close to home
I read an article on this and I think you hit the nail on the head. He’s apparently got a ton of UVA connections. From what I’ve read he is related to Ralph Sampson, he’s from VA, he was recruited very heavily by UVA in high school, but they had to stop when their class filled up. Apparently though he’s still got a strong relationship with Bennett.

I can’t imagine he’ll play a ton there, but I hope it works out for him. Braxton seems like a good dude and I wish him well.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It's a good spot for him to land with. He'll sit a year, and play two. I've always thought that he was more of a settle down guy who likes to create his shots. believe it or not, he will compete for playing time and I think he'll find minutes.

73CAV

May 6, 2018
I read an article on this and I think you hit the nail on the head. He’s apparently got a ton of UVA connections. From what I’ve read he is related to Ralph Sampson, he’s from VA, he was recruited very heavily by UVA in high school, but they had to stop when their class filled up. Apparently though he’s still got a strong relationship with Bennett.

I can’t imagine he’ll play a ton there, but I hope it works out for him. Braxton seems like a good dude and I wish him well.

More specifically, Virginia quit recruiting him when De'Andre Hunter committed. They both possess similar size and skill sets. Hunter redshirted his first year, was on the ACC's All Freshmen team, and was the ACC's Sixth Man of the Year this past season. Much of the loss to UMBC can be attributed to Hunter's injury, IMO. Conventional wisdom says Hunter will enter next year's NBA draft, creating a spot for Key after he sits a year.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Key had a pretty impressive freshman season at Bama. He doesn't seem to get much credit for this; maybe some look at it as Bama not having other options that year.

His sophomore year was a little rough due to his injury as well as whatever issues he had with his fit on the team. He was coming through towards the end of the season.

If he puts in the work during his sit-out year, I think he'll be solid player for UVA as he would have been for Bama had he remained and put in the work during this off-season.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Key is actually from Nashville. He played here locally at Christ Presbyterian for former Vandy player Drew Maddox. He then transferred and played his senior year at Oak Hill. However, his profile on the UA website said he was born in Charlotte, NC. Interesting to find out his uncle is Ralph Sampson.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There is no doubt he has talent, but he needs to work on his skills to play in the NBA. He turns the ball over too much and his shot is very inconsistent. He was good his freshman year, but that had as much to do with the talent around him as his own production. There just weren't many scoring options his freshman year. He was on a team where he had to share this year, and I don't think that settled well with him. If he works on his skills in his mandatory year to sit out, he has the potential to be an NBA talent, but he was not there this year for sure.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Granted a waiver on a hardship appeal.
I figured it had to be a hardship but I haven't found out why. I think the NCAA is getting a little loose with this stuff but I don't know the situation. Any idea what the "hardship" was?

I read that the appeal was about a family member who is ill may not be able to see Key play next season. I also read that in general, these family members are supposed to be parents, guardians, or siblings.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I figured it had to be a hardship but I haven't found out why. I think the NCAA is getting a little loose with this stuff but I don't know the situation. Any idea what the "hardship" was?

I read that the appeal was about a family member who is ill may not be able to see Key play next season. I also read that in general, these family members are supposed to be parents, guardians, or siblings.
The NCAA has gotten a lot more lax with these things, which I really don't have a problem with.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I saw Braxton play a little bit this past weekend. He looked the same as when he was here - ineffectual.

I also saw former Coach Grant's Dayton team play, and lose, a couple of times - no further comment required.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I've watched Key Saturday and tonight. He looks more confident and is playing pretty good defense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Braxton seems to be developing his game better at UVA. Minutes and points are less, but he's shooting better and rebounding more.

key.JPG

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.