A Day Game Thread! Roll Tide

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Lets remember that our second string defense is legitimately better a bit less than half the conference's first string defenses. LaBryan Ray would be the best defensive linemen on well more than half the conference. Mac Jones looked as good as any 3rd stringer we've ever had here. Usually once we got down to that spot we we'd see guys struggle to do anything well on A-Day.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Lets remember that our second string defense is legitimately better a bit less than half the conference's first string defenses. LaBryan Ray would be the best defensive linemen on well more than half the conference. Mac Jones looked as good as any 3rd stringer we've ever had here. Usually once we got down to that spot we we'd see guys struggle to do anything well on A-Day.
This is only true until you look at the secondary. Your 2nd team secondary is pretty weak.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I just had a vision of Brandon Avalos warming up on the sidelines.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
This is only true until you look at the secondary. Your 2nd team secondary is pretty weak.
not as weak as many think. As i said earlier, Knott Mayden, McDonald and Wright have all been in contention to fill some of the open slots in the secondary. Yeah, they are short on experience, but compared to the receivers they were against, for the most part they were more talented so it's not like the WRs were going to just get more space on talent alone. Take the pass that was overthrown to Marks; to almost any of our other receivers with a little height that would have been complete. Bigger picture though was that Mac was able to understand when WRs were breaking and going to be open and throw it there instead of waiting for a WR to be wide open before throwing...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
not as weak as many think. As i said earlier, Knott Mayden, McDonald and Wright have all been in contention to fill some of the open slots in the secondary. Yeah, they are short on experience, but compared to the receivers they were against, for the most part they were more talented so it's not like the WRs were going to just get more space on talent alone. Take the pass that was overthrown to Marks; to almost any of our other receivers with a little height that would have been complete. Bigger picture though was that Mac was able to understand when WRs were breaking and going to be open and throw it there instead of waiting for a WR to be wide open before throwing...
I am not sure if you were in the stadium or not. I was. Mac was throwing to receivers running in open space. Jalen was throwing to receivers covered like a blanket. Huge difference in the secondaries. HUGE

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I am not sure if you were in the stadium or not. I was. Mac was throwing to receivers running in open space. Jalen was throwing to receivers covered like a blanket. Huge difference in the secondaries. HUGE
I wasn't there, but I did see some of that on the broadcast, although I did see several times that receivers coming out of breaks were open and Jalen still wasn't throwing to where they were going to be. I also thought a lot of that was game planning. Any decent DC is going to play press coverage against us with Jalen to force him through multiple reads so that's what we dialed up against him. Game plan for Mac is going to be different knowing he's going to get through those progressions.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wasn't there, but I did see some of that on the broadcast, although I did see several times that receivers coming out of breaks were open and Jalen still wasn't throwing to where they were going to be. I also thought a lot of that was game planning. Any decent DC is going to play press coverage against us with Jalen to force him through multiple reads so that's what we dialed up against him. Game plan for Mac is going to be different knowing he's going to get through those progressions.
Not game planning in the spring game. Everything was base that I saw. Just inexperience. They will be fine, but they are not there yet.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I imagine most of our second string will be made up of incoming freshmen who you did not see Saturday. They have some talent coming for sure.
That is something that I had not considered. Who will be here for the summer/fall that is likely to see the field on defense?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
+
Amour-Davis in the secondary

I think Anoma will start out as a Jack LB, as will Jordan Davis and Latu. They might grow into DE's eventually or potentially line up at the rabbit DE spot in Dime, but at sub 240lbs they won't be DE's for us in base or nickel
You're right about the OLBs. Forgot UA listed Anoma as an OLB in the announcement rather than DE where he was ranked by the services.

I'm not sure Jayln will play much in the secondary this year only because he didn't enroll early like he planned. Had he done that, I could see him contributing.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.