JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
A-Day wrap-up: More aggression, more movement, more questions
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
April 21st, 2018 09:26 PM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 21, 2018 At most A-Day games, especially those overseen by Nick Saban, it isn’t so much what you see as what you don’t see. There aren’t a lot of complicated blitzes. There aren’t a bunch of funky offensive sets. There isn’t much more to be seen other than […]

Read More Here

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Just now getting to sit down and watch. Been @ the ball field all day. You should’ve put a paragraph criticizing coach’s apparel for the day [emoji23]. He has to ditch that salmon colored jacket now [emoji51].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Just now getting to sit down and watch. Been @ the ball field all day. You should’ve put a paragraph criticizing coach’s apparel for the day [emoji23]. He has to ditch that salmon colored jacket now [emoji51].

I tell you what, why not go find out how to get into his next public appearance and ask him? :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When I saw that jacket at Denny Chimes I almost laughed out loud. It looks worse in person than on television.

Thanks for the write up. I am not worried about any phase of this team because of the weak schedule out of the gates. By the time you guys play anyone who might challenge your weaknesses, they will no longer be weaknesses.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Nice write up Jess. We sometimes forget just how hard some of these guys work on their own. A lot of the guys have clearly been busting their butts. It’s also clear why it REALLY benefits some to redshirt a year and grow. You mentioned it but good gravy some of the guys hardly resemble their old physique after just one year in the 4th quarter program with Coach Cochran.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Thanks Jess,
Is Jonah Williams a fixture at LT regardless of QB handedness? Is the RT solid enough if that happens to be the blind side?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks for the write-up, Jess. I always look forward to your analysis. I think you are spot-on. I have no doubt they will get it figured out by the Louisville game, but I would be surprised if both Jalen and Tua didn't both play in the first game or two. It's going to be a long summer.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I pretty much agree...
At QB...
Jalen all but surrendered the Starting job to Tua, and Tua didn't play.
We already knew Jalen could run, but has his pass game improved?
I DON'T THINK SO.
If Jalen plays we will face a lot of 8 man fronts.

Mac Jones took enough of a step forward that he may be in contention for the #2 job, come Fall Camp.

We didn't get to see a enough of our future Running Backs, but I think we will be fine there.

For a change SPECIAL TEAMS may be better this year. Last year I held my breath every time we attempted a FG. Some of the time it was a 'Crap Shoot'.

I had been hearing that Offense would have to carry the Defense until it matured.
Didn't look like it yesterday. Unless Hurts was 'Sandbagging Us' he seems to still be regressing in the passing department. If that's the case we really need a healthy TUA, and we need him as soon as possible.

On our new Assistants... I loved the aggression.
I have never been a fan of the 'Bend But Don't Break' philosophy.
I'm more of a 'In Your Face' guy on Offense and Defense.

On the plus side... We didn't show our competition anything they can use against us next year.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Whether he stays or not, Jalen had better spend every waking moment working on improving his passing game. He will have the same problems with another team unless he becomes a more rounded QB.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks Jess,
Is Jonah Williams a fixture at LT regardless of QB handedness? Is the RT solid enough if that happens to be the blind side?
I think so. My personal prediction right now is Womack is going to play RG with Leatherwood at RT. Cotton goes to LG and Pierschbacher stays at center. There's the issue of Josh Casher, who is a fifth-year senior and well-liked by both coaches and team, and he's playing well enough right now that he probably deserves to start somewhere in the interior. If he starts at RG, Womack will stay at RT and Leatherwood will be a reserve for one more year. I think that's the biggest battle on the OL. I do not see Womack losing playing time.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

C'mon guys, that his "impartial" jacket. That's probably the color you would get if you blended half crimson and half white together. Krymsonman

And thanks for a great write-up Jess. I always look forward to your articles, especially the pre-game write-ups in the fall.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think so. My personal prediction right now is Womack is going to play RG with Leatherwood at RT. Cotton goes to LG and Pierschbacher stays at center. There's the issue of Josh Casher, who is a fifth-year senior and well-liked by both coaches and team, and he's playing well enough right now that he probably deserves to start somewhere in the interior. If he starts at RG, Womack will stay at RT and Leatherwood will be a reserve for one more year. I think that's the biggest battle on the OL. I do not see Womack losing playing time.
Log jam of talent. What a problem ( extremely blue font ). More transfers? Position switch to the D line ?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.