Bryant-Denny turf

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Watching the AD game today, it looked like the field might have been artificial turf. Did I miss something in the news recently about the grass being replaced, or was the field just landscaped better than normal for today's game?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Watching the AD game today, it looked like the field might have been artificial turf. Did I miss something in the news recently about the grass being replaced, or was the field just landscaped better than normal for today's game?
The grass looks like hell at the far edges, away from the playing surface, with bare spots and dirt showing through. It's pretty apparent it is real grass, but yes it did look pretty good where it counted.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Like cbi said, it's natural grass. You could really see bad spots near the fencing, but it always does that in the off season.

RollTide-YNWA

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 27, 2009
Dothan
Definitely grass ... we were on the field after the scrimmage. But even up close, it looked like turf in places. The end zones were pretty rough, but the paint probably covered that up on the TV.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
There was a big pile of sod just outside the southeast corner of the stadium yesterday.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I believe they replace it at least yearly if not more. They were also working on the practice field a couple of weeks ago. I think they replaced the turf there as well. I am not sure, but I think the grass comes from Foley.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I seem to remember something about an aquifer running under the stadium causing issues and lack of airflow in the stadium creating even more issues.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I believe they replace it at least yearly if not more. They were also working on the practice field a couple of weeks ago. I think they replaced the turf there as well. I am not sure, but I think the grass comes from Foley.
I'm pretty sure you are correct on replacing the grass every year but I'm no expert. It has its rough stages no matter what. It's nothing to worry about in my mind, but it did look rough by the fence during A-Day. I'm surprised our "competitors" didn't bring it up to recruits:biggrin:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
The "turf" is a type of bermuda grass. Bermuda is just coming out of dormancy in april, especially with as cool a spring as we've had. The green present at A day is a ryegrass. The reason it looks bad around the edges is they didn't get good ryegrass seed coverage there and the bermuda is still dormant/well worn. I didn't realize they replaced the sod yearly, but that would make sense with the budget they have to work with. At a lot of fields they treat/kill the ryegrass around april to let the bermuda start it's green up.

ShoalCreek

Suspended
Feb 28, 2018
Tif 419 Bermuda. Fans are used to help the airflow in the endzones. Much like for golf greens. Transition Blend seed is used which is better than rye.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.