New lynching museum in Montgomery

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think this is a good way to acknowledge that this atrocity happened and to try to learn what we can from it.

and from the article

Not all lynchings were by hanging. The Equal Justice Initiative says it scoured old newspapers, archives and court documents to find the stories of victims who were gunned down, drowned, beaten and burned alive. The monument is a memorial to all of them, with room for names to be added as additional victims are identified.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not trying to be insensitive but the biggest reason that nobody can name any black person who was lynched is because (wait for it) they
tended to be "nobodies" like most of us (not that their lives weren't important but they weren't Barack Obama, Martin Luther King, or Jackie
Robinson is my obvious point).

Crucifixion was a common means of death.....can you (or anyone) name anyone OTHER than Jesus BY NAME (without Google) that was crucified?

And most folks won't remember a name of anyone they hear about at the lynching museum, either.

It's not that I'm against the idea (I'm not), but the details of "nobody can name anyone lynched" are not grounded in reality.

Most folks know that three guys escaped off of Alcatraz back in the early 60s (they DID get off the island, I doubt they made it)......most don't
know their real names.

How many people who ATTEND Iowa State even know who Jack Trice was? I do, but how many students at the school do?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the only bad thing that i can see about this opening from the article is that the dave matthews band will be playing.
yeah, I'm not "against" it per se for the reasons you cite.

But that one right there is......bizarre......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/look_inside_the_new_lynching_m.html

Can someone explain the thoughts behind opening this? Seems inflammatory.

Also in the article it mentions that a guy was lynched when it previously mentions he was shot. Is that just the terrific writing we can expect from al.com or did this author just totally miss it??
First, the byline says it's an AP article. Has nothing to do with "writing we can expect from al.com."

Second, read and/or watch this.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A bunch of "nobodies" died in German death camps, too. I don't see museums to the Holocaust as inflammatory. Pray to God we learn something from the past.
Just to be fair, you're conflating posts.

I'm fine with the idea of it, but that particular part of the article was not the best written.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
First, the byline says it's an AP article. Has nothing to do with "writing we can expect from al.com."

Second, read and/or watch this.
Thanks for the article and link. Bryan Stevenson is a very impressive man and I believe it is very appropriate that the undertaking he has led to identify and commentate victims of lynchings across the US to be located in Montgomery. I don't believe it is intended to be confrontational at all but based on the idea that we must come to grips with our past to build a future that is inclusive. I have followed the project for some time and came to know Mr. Stevenson through his TED talk here: https://www.ted.com/talks/bryan_stevenson_we_need_to_talk_about_an_injustice#t-308704

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
the only bad thing that i can see about this opening from the article is that the dave matthews band will be playing.
An odd choice. A black gospel choir would seem more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
i think this is a good way to acknowledge that this atrocity happened and to try to learn what we can from it.
I think that is pretty much it. Something bad happened. On many many occasions. To a lot of people. In many states, not just the south.
As for the victims being "nobodies," it is difficult to achieve something notable when you're dead.
I visited the American Somme Memorial this weekend and saw the graves of a bunch of young men who never grew up to get elected to Congress or cure cancer or whatever, because they were dead by the age of 20. That is a big part of the tragedy: lost potential.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that is pretty much it. Something bad happened. On many many occasions. To a lot of people. In many states, not just the south.
As for the victims being "nobodies," it is difficult to achieve something notable when you're dead.
I visited the American Somme Memorial this weekend and saw the graves of a bunch of young men who never grew up to get elected to Congress or cure cancer or whatever, because they were dead by the age of 20. That is a big part of the tragedy: lost potential.
A fair enough point, but as I noted - I was only responding to the claim in the article about nobody knowing who they are. This should not be surprising.

I will confess there's a part of me that takes a bit too much of perverse joy when one of these lynchings occurs outside of the South, not because of the deaths (obviously) but because of how many Northerners I've run into in my life that seemingly only know the South for the Civil War, Mississippi Burning, and George Wallace. And THEY, of course, are ABOVE all that.

The TRUTH I've found - in most cases - is they don't even know their own history, which is usually littered with the same problems on a smaller scale. And any of you who have spent any time up north (and Earle has sort of pointed this out more than once) will find that the South (with all of our problems and mistreatment of folks) tends to be well ahead of most of the north in advancing beyond the old bigotries.

I had some friends from U.P. Michigan who apparently got some real bad info in high school because they were only too happy to inform my ex (then wife) and I about race relations in the southern USA, where they'd never been, and how ignorant we must be despite the fact my ex never left the south until she was 33.

Their first assignment? Maxwell AFB.
Their second? Robins AFB, Georgia

Let's just say they got a lotta firsthand education how little they actually knew.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not naming names, but I’ve read someone that posts on this very website did some work on DMB’s upcoming album.

Also, John Legend and Chrissy Tegan are in Montgomery for the opening. Talk about sending Montgomery social media into a whirlwind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Lynching was an absolutely terrible thing. I hate that it is a part of our southern post civil war history.
This history, like all history, should not be sugar coated or overlooked. 4000 lynchings over the 85 year period from 1865 until 1950 is horrible.
It must be asked however, where is the outcry over 6,000 African-Americans murdered each year by other African-Americans. The same politicians who want to be seen at the new Lynching Memorial are silent on the current (much larger) massive murder problem.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
What I'd like to see is more uplifting museums. Have showings of where people of different nationalities, back grounds, and color worked together to resolve differences. Can we move forward if we keep bringing past hate up? I don't care if we remove confederate memorials if it helps us move forward. Just want some positivity out there.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
GP for Bama said:
It must be asked however, where is the outcry over 6,000 African-Americans murdered each year by other African-Americans. The same politicians who want to be seen at the new Lynching Memorial are silent on the current (much larger) massive murder problem.
just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it's not happening.

link

Here's a ridiculous claim: African-Americans don't care about black-on-black crime.

Yet we've all heard it repeatedly since protests began over the shooting death of black teenager Laquan McDonald by a white Chicago police officer.

This is a lie that has slowly crept into Chicago's psyche, a baseless commentary whose purpose is to shift the blame for the city's unbridled shootings onto the backs of African-Americans.

It became the mantra of folks who were upset when hundreds of protesters shut down the Magnificent Mile on Black Friday, a way to point a finger at marchers who had the audacity to disrupt an American holiday tradition...

Don't get me wrong: White people aren't the only ones guilty of spreading the lie. There's an appalling number of African-Americans and other minorities who repeat the same rhetoric. Skin color doesn't protect anyone from getting sucked in by the hype.

In the midst of the suffering, you who say African-Americans don't care about black-on-black crime tell those who live in violence-torn communities that their inability to stop the killings in their backyard makes them different from other people. Most important, they are different from you.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the pain we still need to feel - article from slate

The answer is straightforward. We live in a moment when racism—explicit and unapologetic—has returned to a prominent place in American politics, both endorsed by and propagated through the Oval Office. And in that environment, a memorial to racial terrorism—one which indicts perpetrators as much as it honors victims—is the kind of provocation that we need, a vital and powerful statement against our national tendency to willful amnesia.

The victims of lynching and racial terrorism deserve a memorial that makes plain the scale of the offense and the magnitude of the crime. The communities in question deserve a chance to reckon with the weight of their history. And Americans writ large need an opportunity to grapple with this period as we struggle to understand a present that contains disturbing echoes of our not-too-distant past....

These murders weren’t driven by a small group of virulent racists but were embraced by most white communities in which they occurred. They were communal acts that imparted meaning to spectators and participants alike. What is made clear in the museum is that the history of lynching is for white Americans as much as it is black ones. It is a history of how the white South constituted itself through communal violence, creating and policing the borders of its racial identity. Lynching wasn’t just a way to enforce caste relations between blacks and whites, it was also a tool white Southerners used to define the meaning of their whiteness.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.