Do we feel better about the qb spot now, or worse?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’m just sitting here wondering how crazy it would have driven some of the younger fans (and players) back when Coach Bryant used to play six QBs in a season.....and I’m talking 1981, not 1961.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I honestly think that Jake is my favorite qb of the last 20 years or so. He improved so much over his one season of being a starter.

rtr
Can't help but wonder "what could have been" with Jake. Imagine if he had three years at Alabama. The 2016 offense would have been crazy good since he already had chemistry with guys and the experience of starting an entire season.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Jake had a lot of good qualities...the best of which was he was a fighter and never gave in. That overcomes a lot of athletic deficiencies -- and I'm not saying he had them. I still don't understand why some pro team did not put him on their taxi squad and let him develop.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
From listening to Jake talk about it I think the decision was his, at least in part. I think by now we have all heard how going to pro football after playing at Alabama for CNS is a bit disillusioning, and Jake made the decision to put football behind him and start his 'grown up' life, move home and start work, get married, etc. He sounds happy and well adjusted now, so I think he made the right decision.

He certainly has some great memories.

rtr

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Regardless as to what JH decides to do, transferring before the fall would be silly - not only because he loses the chance to play if there's an injury but also because he's on track to graduate this coming year, so he can stay with the team and gain all the knowledge, training, etc that's available to him - FOR FREE - then transfer an play immediately as a grad transfer. If he transfers over the summer, according to the rules, he sits a year...
If what matters, from Jalen’s perspective, is the ability to win a starting job elsewhere in the 2019 and 2020 seasons, whether he stays at Alabama in 2018 and redshirts, or transfers now and sits, makes no difference to his eligibility. So, the decision would rest on which course better positions him for the 2019 season. It’s hard for me to imagine he wouldn’t be better off spending the 2018 season practicing with the team he intends to lead in 2019 and 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
A lot of coaches would take a chance on him. Every coach thinks that he can take someone else's failure and turn him into a success. They will believe that they can teach him. Maybe they can. If Jalen transfers, I will be pulling for him.
Agreed. I believe Jalen would benefit from a year without live fire; to unlearn the bad habits he has exhibited at Alabama. He needs to be broken down in order to be rebuilt effectively. It will be nearly impossible to do that without a year in which he is not trying to “win now.” But give him a year where he can’t play, and can focus on rebuilding his skills in the mould of a pro-style QB with the right coaching; and I’d bet the mortgage on a successful second act for Jalen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If what matters, from Jalen’s perspective, is the ability to win a starting job elsewhere in the 2019 and 2020 seasons, whether he stays at Alabama in 2018 and redshirts, or transfers now and sits, makes no difference to his eligibility. So, the decision would rest on which course better positions him for the 2019 season. It’s hard for me to imagine he wouldn’t be better off spending the 2018 season practicing with the team he intends to lead in 2019 and 2020.
But if JH stays at Bama, he'll almost certainly play - unless he speaks with Saban and they agree to try to let him RS. A transfer now means his year automatically counts as a RS year and he has two to play two, plus he gets to immediately start learning the playbook, etc, so I agree - if he's going to go, it's probably in his best interest to do so before the fall.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What else has happened that should cause Hurts NOT to feel a sense of loyalty to his coach and team?
Umm, I'm not sure I really want to air dirty laundry out so to speak. There's various stuff that is public knowledge though.

Let's just say that there have been tweets directed at Hurts or alluding to Hurts from other players that were less than flattering, and that there have been behind the scenes incidents as well. Not absolving Hurts of any responsibility in this, but if other players are doing or saying certain things... may be sooner or later you don't want to be around.

Edit: I'd add that I'm sure almost all this stuff really just came from people thinking Tua should be the starter. But if you are in Hurts shoes, it's got to be hard not to take some stuff as a slight and begs the question what exactly does he owe those guys?

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
But if JH stays at Bama, he'll almost certainly play - unless he speaks with Saban and they agree to try to let him RS. A transfer now means his year automatically counts as a RS year and he has two to play two, plus he gets to immediately start learning the playbook, etc, so I agree - if he's going to go, it's probably in his best interest to do so before the fall.
I do wonder if there have been or will be in the near future, conversations between Saban/Mr. Hurts & Jalen as to the best plan of action for all parties involved. I've since been able to watch the A-Day game in its entirety. Granted, I'm not an expert or do not claim to be in tune to what is in Saban's mind or Jalen's mind. But after watching the game I just get "the feel" (if that makes any sense LOL!) Coach Saban, Jalen, and the rest of the team knows who the starter will be. I also think that Mac Jones performance may expedite this entire process of whether Jalen will or will not transfer.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
yeah, and 15 running backs.
In 1981....

Ricky Moore (79 carries)
Jeff Fagan (71)
Ken Simon (66)
Paul Ott Carruth (64)
Linnie Patrick (60)
Joe Carter (59)

all had basically 60 carries.

That doesn't include the wishbone QBs coley (82) or Walter (77).

Or as Derrick Henry would look at those numbers and say, "Seven quarters' worth."

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I do wonder if there have been or will be in the near future, conversations between Saban/Mr. Hurts & Jalen as to the best plan of action for all parties involved. I've since been able to watch the A-Day game in its entirety. Granted, I'm not an expert or do not claim to be in tune to what is in Saban's mind or Jalen's mind. But after watching the game I just get "the feel" (if that makes any sense LOL!) Coach Saban, Jalen, and the rest of the team knows who the starter will be. I also think that Mac Jones performance may expedite this entire process of whether Jalen will or will not transfer.
I 100% agree. I've been trying to avoid saying it outright but if I was Jalen I'd transfer ASAP at this point. He had a mediocre to bad(depending on how you grade it) A day and all reports are that he has looked mostly the same for the other scrimmages as well. And like you said body language just seemed off.

Saban's comments on the hot mic got a lot of attention but IIRC soon after that Herbstreit said something like "Jalen isn't going to win the QB job running. He's going to have to show progress as a passer to win this job." I think he might have said that he got that from talking to coaches(Saban).

Also, it may have just been the way the TV broadcast or me reading too much into small stuff but did anyone else feel like Tua and Jalen weren't around each other as much as they were last year when on the sideline?

It has never felt more inevitable IMO but that could just be a fans perspective since we obviously work with limited information.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I’m just sitting here wondering how crazy it would have driven some of the younger fans (and players) back when Coach Bryant used to play six QBs in a season.....and I’m talking 1981, not 1961.....

Lookit, Jalen Hurts is every bit as accurate a passer as David Copper- er, David Beddingfield!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
In 1981....

Ricky Moore (79 carries)
Jeff Fagan (71)
Ken Simon (66)
Paul Ott Carruth (64)
Linnie Patrick (60)
Joe Carter (59)

Or as Derrick Henry would look at those numbers and say, "Seven quarters' worth."
I remember some of those names. Carruth, Patrick, Coley, and Lewis in particular.

You would know this. I seem to recall hearing something about a confrontation at practice between Coach Bryant and Linnie Patrick. What happened there? I was too young then to understand, and am too old to remember it now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In 1981....

Ricky Moore (79 carries)
Jeff Fagan (71)
Ken Simon (66)
Paul Ott Carruth (64)
Linnie Patrick (60)
Joe Carter (59)

I remember many of those guys.

Was it just me, or did any of you wish Coach Bryant would have got Linnie Patrick more touches? It almost felt like he was a big play waiting to happen almost every time he touched it.

I believe Linnie had trouble following the rules so that could have been part of the reason.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I remember some of those names. Carruth, Patrick, Coley, and Lewis in particular.

You would know this. I seem to recall hearing something about a confrontation at practice between Coach Bryant and Linnie Patrick. What happened there? I was too young then to understand, and am too old to remember it now.
Yes it’s correct. I believe it is covered in minimal detail during the 81 Penn St game where he tied Stagg. If I understand it, Linnie got in some trouble and announced he had suspended himself and Bryant sat him down and explained the facts of life - including that if any suspensions were handed out it would be by Coach Bryant himself.

I think this is the incident in question. Keep in mind that dope in 1981 was viewed about like child abuse is now (I’m only slightly exaggerating folks)

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/0...e-Alabama-running-back-who-was/9293380869200/

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.