Do we feel better about the qb spot now, or worse?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I understand that our first team defense is going to be good, and when Jennings comes back and the young db's are all there and have some time we should be even better, and also that Jalen not being allowed to run is going to skew the impression of what we saw Saturday, but with Tua's injury and Jalen's, yeah, I'll say it, struggles, in a spring game, how do you feel now?

Obviously Mac has some talent, and his 'game' plays more along the lines of what I'd think a Locksley/Enos offense will look like (as dictated by the Man), but I can't help but feeling that we missed on Minshew and wish the guy had stuck with his commitment to Alabama. If Minshew was on board it wouldn't really matter if Jalen leaves, would it? A trio of Tua, Minshew and Mac I'd feel comfortable with.

There is a reason we were actively searching for a 4th guy who could play in more of a pro style offense. I just don't see Jalen being successful in an offense where he needs to make reads and fire the ball within 3 seconds. On the other hand, now I am scared to death he WILL leave and make good on dad's threat, because how do you make it through a championship season with just two guys, and I don't think we can rely on a walk on to play.

What do you think?

rtr

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I understand that our first team defense is going to be good, and when Jennings comes back and the young db's are all there and have some time we should be even better, and also that Jalen not being allowed to run is going to skew the impression of what we saw Saturday, but with Tua's injury and Jalen's, yeah, I'll say it, struggles, in a spring game, how do you feel now?

Obviously Mac has some talent, and his 'game' plays more along the lines of what I'd think a Locksley/Enos offense will look like (as dictated by the Man), but I can't help but feeling that we missed on Minshew and wish the guy had stuck with his commitment to Alabama. If Minshew was on board it wouldn't really matter if Jalen leaves, would it? A trio of Tua, Minshew and Mac I'd feel comfortable with.

There is a reason we were actively searching for a 4th guy who could play in more of a pro style offense. I just don't see Jalen being successful in an offense where he needs to make reads and fire the ball within 3 seconds. On the other hand, now I am scared to death he WILL leave and make good on dad's threat, because how do you make it through a championship season with just two guys, and I don't think we can rely on a walk on to play.

What do you think?

rtr
How many quarterbacks did we use last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

What do you think?

rtr
Worse.

FWIW, we've known since the Vandy game last year that Tua was "The Future" for UA football - the only question was "When". We will be fine at QB, but it's the same deal we thought we had in 2017 - we are "fine" . . . . .pending any injury.

My HOPE for A-Day was that Jalen would take (at least One) step FORWARD and have a good showing. For whatever reasons, that didn't happen.

Unlike 2017, we DO have a proven winner at backup QB (IF Jalen hangs around) and we know Jalen can do enough to beat 90% of our opponents. We also know that he can't do enough to win against the top %10 of the teams we potentially might play next season and post-season.

Mishew may be a viable backup, and lets hope he his - just as we ALWAYS hope none of our players suffer injuries.

Mac Jones has proven himself to be a "Gamer" and, who knows?, he might one day be good enough to start at some SEC teams. But lets not forget that this was A-Day, and he was playing against a second team Defense that mostly UNDER-PERFORMED. He did well, but he didn't exactly "dominate." As good as Jones' performance was, he's no Thomas Darrah. ;)

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Better, actually. I feel worse for Jalen, but better about our situation now. I think Saturday showed us that Jalen still isn't getting it. I am more certain than ever that Tua, barring injury (or failure to heal from his current one), will be our guy when the whistle blows to start the Louisville game. I had been fearful that Saban would stretch it out, be a bit too ambiguous, give the wrong impression, and cause Tua to transfer. I just don't see that happening now. Saban may give lip service to it all still being a competition, but the competition was over on Saturday, and Saban's hot mic comments confirmed it IMO. I like Jalen. I think he is a really special kid and I appreciate all he has done for Alabama. But he really has handicapped us in many ways in my eyes, and if asking him to change positions or play as a backup caused him to transfer, I am ok with saying goodbye and thanks. If his staying in any way causes us to lose Tua, I am not ok with that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Last year I felt great knowing that you had Tua on the bench - you had quality depth that could help you win a championship if Jalen went down with an injury.

I guess that my concern comes from something that has nothing to do with the Spring game play - Tua's injury. Since Jalen has not improved as a passer I expect Tua to be named starter. But the broken hand has me worried. Can Tua take the beating that SEC QBs face as a starter?

I believe that you will win every game through LSU with any of the QBs on your roster. After that, I believe that you will need Tua healthy to win a championship. I know that it is just one injury, but last year's LB injuries have me gun shy, and Jalen just doesn't look any better than he did last year.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Tom, Minshew chose to attend Washington State instead of Bama, it being so much closer to his home in Mississippi than is Tuscaloosa. :)

And of course, if no one gets hurt all you need is one, but you don't just play one, do you?

rtr

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua will start as long as he's healthy so I don't feel differently about that.

The #2 spot? I feel a little less comfortable right now because I thought Jalen would play backup and could step up in case of injury and we would know what we had in him (serviceable, dependable, decent first read passer, who keeps a defense honest with his running threat). But now I feel like Jalen will be gone. I figure he'll finish the spring semester and transfer at the beginning of the summer. That leaves Mac Jones as probably our #2. In the long run, I feel good about him. He's on the AJ MacCarron learning curve and we could win NCs with him after he get's some experience if he has to play. Matter of fact, I feel he's probably better than the grad transfer we lost.

Now that Taluia and Tyson are on board, I feel great about our future.

Biggest thing this fall, assuming Jalen transfers, is Tua needs to stay healthy and Jones gets some experience cleaning up games!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To add one more thing - if Jalen really has not improved (as it appeared in the spring game), you may be better served with him leaving before the season begins. Mac may improve sufficiently with enough snaps in mop-up duty over the course of the season to be a reliable playoff QB should Tua go down, but he is not going to get those snaps if Jalen is your 2nd team QB.

With the Auburn, Georgia, Clemson and OSU defenses potentially coming late in the year and in the playoffs, Jalen just isn't the answer. My heart wants Jalen to be the guy, but my eyes keep reminding me that he just isn't getting there against those types of defensive units.

Mac needs to be ready. He needs to be your 2nd team QB, and he needs to get a lot of game play during the season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To add one more thing - if Jalen really has not improved (as it appeared in the spring game), you may be better served with him leaving before the season begins. Mac may improve sufficiently with enough snaps in mop-up duty over the course of the season to be a reliable playoff QB should Tua go down, but he is not going to get those snaps if Jalen is your 2nd team QB.

With the Auburn, Georgia, Clemson and OSU defenses potentially coming late in the year and in the playoffs, Jalen just isn't the answer. My heart wants Jalen to be the guy, but my eyes keep reminding me that he just isn't getting there against those types of defensive units.

Mac needs to be ready. He needs to be your 2nd team QB, and he needs to get a lot of game play during the season.
Agreed and I think daddy Hurts will take care of that for us.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
i feel bad for jalen, but i feel good that it doesn't appear that there really is much of a competition left.
the bottom line is that Tua is so far ahead of Hurts as a passer that it completely negates any advantage Hurts may have in running the ball or experience.
heck, after Saturday it was apparent to me that Jones is a far better passer than Hurts and he appears to have enough athleticism to use his legs when absolutely necessary.
if we're running a pro-style offense, at this point i think the only thing we lose between Hurts and Jones is experience.
Hurts is finished as the starter at Alabama...the only question that remains is whether the team is better off with him as the backup QB or as a transfer.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I feel better but partially because I feel better about our team as a hole. I'm a little worried about Tua's hand but not too much. We could win a lot of games with Mac assuming Jalen is gone. In fact idk that we will need great QB play until the Iron Bowl.

I feel good about our defense though and am really impressed with our RBs. Those 2 things should take a lot of pressure off the QB. Plus our OL clearly has good talent and depth. Once we find the right combo on the OL I think we will be really good.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

If Jalen checks out mentally, but remains thru the fall semester (so he can graduate, transfer and not have to sit a year), I can see Coach putting Mac ahead of Jalen in reps and mop up. If Jalen isn't practicing/playing to improve and win (just biding time), I don't think Coach would go for it. Loyalty only goes so far...

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I feel better but partially because I feel better about our team as a hole. I'm a little worried about Tua's hand but not too much. We could win a lot of games with Mac assuming Jalen is gone. In fact idk that we will need great QB play until the Iron Bowl.

I feel good about our defense though and am really impressed with our RBs. Those 2 things should take a lot of pressure off the QB. Plus our OL clearly has good talent and depth. Once we find the right combo on the OL I think we will be really good.
But is that not exactly what we've been saying in regards to the Tua/Jalen qb battle? The OL and backs have been really good the last 2 years, and the D don't even have to be mentioned. If there is no fear of the qb's arm...the rb's will be shut down eventually...and subsequently, the D will get worn down. I'm concerned about depth at qb, but I believe Mac could well enough to lead the team if Tua went down.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Last year I felt great knowing that you had Tua on the bench - you had quality depth that could help you win a championship if Jalen went down with an injury.

I guess that my concern comes from something that has nothing to do with the Spring game play - Tua's injury. Since Jalen has not improved as a passer I expect Tua to be named starter. But the broken hand has me worried. Can Tua take the beating that SEC QBs face as a starter?

I believe that you will win every game through LSU with any of the QBs on your roster. After that, I believe that you will need Tua healthy to win a championship. I know that it is just one injury, but last year's LB injuries have me gun shy, and Jalen just doesn't look any better than he did last year.
Mostly agree.

I'm not a Doctor (don't even play one on TV) and obviously Coach Saban is NEVER going to be completely transparent about injuries (and that's fine - he doesn't owe us anything). But "Assuming" its a bone and not a ligament or tendon, the chances of a full recovery are probably REALLY GOOD. Tua's not in the age demographic where you start to worry about things like Carpal Tunnel or "Tommy Johns" issues, so I'm thinking we are "good" on the hand injury.

Frankly, my heart hurts for Jalen (no pun intended). He seems like a great person, and I suspect he CRINGED when he saw the media comments from his "Expletive Deleted" father!!! UGH!!! Clearly, Daddy Hurts is looking with the "eyes" of a "Little-League Father" and not with the eyes of a coach. Sad to say, but Dad's unfortunate comments MAY well have sealed Jalen's fate at UA - judging from the level of intensity I saw from the first team DL vs. the intensity I didn't see from the first team OL.... Well..... I know we had people out with injuries, I just hope I'm imagining something that IS NOT HAPPENING on this team.

Frankly, if Jalen was SMART, or at least was getting good advice, he'd take a HARD LOOK at what Braxton Miller did a couple years ago at Ohio $tate, and start working out as a WR, TE or even as a DB. He could still be the backup QB, but also develop a skill that COULD get him to the NFL.

Because, lets be honest - after TWO full seasons as a starter, he's still not the QB that Blake Sims was after Eight starts.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
But is that not exactly what we've been saying in regards to the Tua/Jalen qb battle? The OL and backs have been really good the last 2 years, and the D don't even have to be mentioned. If there is no fear of the qb's arm...the rb's will be shut down eventually...and subsequently, the D will get worn down. I'm concerned about depth at qb, but I believe Mac could well enough to lead the team if Tua went down.
Well yea of course. But my point is we probably won't need that until the Iron Bowl and postseason so the only real fear for me would be if Tua's injury was really serious but it doesn't appear to be. And I think Mac might be adequate enough throwing the ball in a pinch. He had a couple nice deep throws and looked solid overall. My worry with him would be Ints but I don't think we would put him in situations where he has to force things often. Also, IMO Najee >>>>> Bo. Despite unimpressive stats Najee reallllly impressed me.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Mostly agree.

I'm not a Doctor (don't even play one on TV) and obviously Coach Saban is NEVER going to be completely transparent about injuries (and that's fine - he doesn't owe us anything). But "Assuming" its a bone and not a ligament or tendon, the chances of a full recovery are probably REALLY GOOD. Tua's not in the age demographic where you start to worry about things like Carpal Tunnel or "Tommy Johns" issues, so I'm thinking we are "good" on the hand injury.

Frankly, my heart hurts for Jalen (no pun intended). He seems like a great person, and I suspect he CRINGED when he saw the media comments from his "Expletive Deleted" father!!! UGH!!! Clearly, Daddy Hurts is looking with the "eyes" of a "Little-League Father" and not with the eyes of a coach. Sad to say, but Dad's unfortunate comments MAY well have sealed Jalen's fate at UA - judging from the level of intensity I saw from the first team DL vs. the intensity I didn't see from the first team OL.... Well..... I know we had people out with injuries, I just hope I'm imagining something that IS NOT HAPPENING on this team.

Frankly, if Jalen was SMART, or at least was getting good advice, he'd take a HARD LOOK at what Braxton Miller did a couple years ago at Ohio $tate, and start working out as a WR, TE or even as a DB. He could still be the backup QB, but also develop a skill that COULD get him to the NFL.

Because, lets be honest - after TWO full seasons as a starter, he's still not the QB that Blake Sims was after Eight starts.

​Saban may be thinking of the "Full Hurts" backfield - don't discount the possibility, with Mac Jones the true No. 2 QB.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I don't know if I feel better or worse, but I do feel the situation is much more clear than before A-Day. I think we now know what Jalen is going to give us - and it's exactly what he has given us for the past two years: solid, safe play; unspectacular passing; good running (except when elite defenses load up to stop it). That's apparently what he will give us and it's not going to change. I don't think that's good enough for him to secure the #1 job, either.

I think the most likely outcome of this is that he's gone -- based on the commend from his father. The question is, does he stay through December, graduate, and then transfer and avoid sitting out. I feel this is likely, and I'm not certain that is the best thing for Alabama. Maybe it will be fine.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I try not to let a spring game influence how I feel. It's pretty hard not to do, but spring games have historically not shown much.

I recall a spring game a few years back that was just atrocious at QB. I won't name the two competing. I thought we had no QB at all, and that 7-5 was a possibility. By the time fall rolled around the QB play was much better than we saw in the spring.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I assume you are talking about Blake, and he was amazingly improved that next season.

My sincere hope is that Jalen stays until after graduation and then transfers, if that's his decision. But as I have said before, whatever he does I hope it's his decision and not his father's. Jalen has been nothing but a first class kid since he arrived here, and I would hope everyone would remember him that way.

rtr

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Regardless as to what JH decides to do, transferring before the fall would be silly - not only because he loses the chance to play if there's an injury but also because he's on track to graduate this coming year, so he can stay with the team and gain all the knowledge, training, etc that's available to him - FOR FREE - then transfer an play immediately as a grad transfer. If he transfers over the summer, according to the rules, he sits a year...

Unless I'm missing something, the intelligent (read - not driven by emotion) choice is to stay at Bama through the 2018 season.

All of this assumes he's not the starter. Saban has made some interesting personnel choices over the years, so I'm not certain JH won't be the starter against UL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.