Why I (as an atheist) can be "turned off" or offended by people of Faith

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Over on the football forum TomFromBama asked this question so I figured I might as well respond to it here. I apologize if there is already a thread for this kind of thing I didn't see one though.

At the risk of being reprimanded I'll go ahead and say it: I'm ok with people believing whatever they choose to, but it's always puzzled and disappointed me that Atheists are "turned off" (or even offended) by people of Faith? Why? How does it hurt you?
If Tua was an Atheist, I'd feel bad for him personally, but frankly, beyond that I wouldn't really care and it wouldn't be a "turnoff" on him as a potential starting QB. (Though in fairness, I'm sure some Alabama fans would be "Turned off".) I mean, even if he had thanked "Spaghetti monsters from the Planet Zenu" in his post game comments - I'd think he was silly, but that would be the extent of it....

Oh well....

Just for context this was the part of my post he was referring to
I'm personally an atheist so his religion is a small turnoff for me but it seems like that has really helped his leadership in general which is obviously a huge positive.

I have had plenty of conversations about this topic with other atheists but I don't want to speak for everyone so what follows is purely personal.

An individual believing in any religion doesn't inherently bother me. The fact that someone believes in M
uhammad, Jesus, Shiva, or just Moses is perfectly fine. I'm sure I will bring up Christianity more than the other religions in this mostly because it's what I've been exposed to the most not because I harbor any stronger feelings toward it than other religions. I've never been offended just by someones faith and in no way shape or form do I think someone is less qualified at something they are otherwise highly skilled at because of their religion.

Also, I'm doing my best here not to be offensive so I apologize if I DO in fact offend someone. Please point it out to me because frankly I'd like to know for future reference. I am also fully aware of the obnoxious atheists out there because there are plenty of them. I try really hard not to fall into that group of atheists who are unnecessarily antagonistic.

First, in Tua's case his religion doesn't impact my thoughts on him as a starting QB of any team I cheer for. However, it does impact my ability to connect with someone especially someone in a leadership role. For example, if I were a player on the team his religion would start to bother me or be more of a "turn off." Not necessarily because of what he believes but because of how large a part it plays in his personality and daily life. The more you talk about your religion on a daily basis the harder it is for me to connect with you on an individual level. Fortunately, for Tua I don't need to be his friend I can just root for him from afar. Plus he seems like a cool enough kid.

Part of it is simply that like minded people tend to get along better. I don't believe in a god so those who do and see that has a integral part of their lives are simply coming from a completely different world view than I am. The more important faith is to someones life the harder it is for me to connect with them. Also, the reality of being an atheist means that I don't believe in a god, any sort of after life, or a variety of other ideas that come from religion. And, I don't know that some of those who are religious realize how strongly their religion that impacts their world views on some pretty basic and commonly discussed topics. It just makes it hard to relate when you are coming from very different view points and accepted base facts. It's not just that I don't believe in god I also don't believe in a lot of the teaching within the Bible/those that have spawned from the Bible (*cough* LBGTQ issues *cough*). In fact my atheism originated from having issues with the specifics of religious teachings not the general idea of a god.

Another issue is simply that I am personally surrounded by people who are religious. I grew up in a very christian family, I work with 3 people who are all very involved in their church, I met my finacee at church so her entire family is also very religious. Basically, I hear someone talk about religion every day. That alone, isn't a huge deal to me but add in that it seems to come up in almost every topic I can think of. Then I go home and watch some football and there are players talking about god after big games or this or that. It just can be a lot at times for someone who doesn't believe in the same thing. (Just like how I'm sure some conservatives feel about certain liberal ideas).

Anyway this was written in probably about 20 minutes but with me working on it on and off a ton. Its probably a little pieced together, repetitive and is definitely an inadequate description but I figured it was a place to start for anyone that is interested. And I hope I somewhat answered TomFromBama's question.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: Why I (as an atheist) can be "turned off" or offended by people of Faith

Good insight. I'm a person of "faith" though I wouldn't by any means claim to be a good person of faith. See my "bullet in the heads" comment of the waffle house murderer and his father.

I don't personally like to have someone "share" their faith with me or put it in my face. I tend to think those that boast about it, use it as a means to cover up for other transgressions. I'm certainly not saying Tua has done anything wrong, it just tends to be my personal opinion, especially with older, more mature folks like Gus and Freeze. I'm extremely anti-televangelist/mega-church as well. I tend to be of the belief that they are about themselves and not God or whomever you hold that to be. They are self-promoting ego-maniacs.

I do believe in a Creator, but also hold a firm belief in science as well. I'm sort of a hybrid, evolution-creationist. That big ball of dust and the laws of physics had to come from some where, right?

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

It's not belief or faith that bothers me, it is the proselytizing.

Someone's faith is irrelevant to me, but with some people, it always seems to come up, and I avoid those situations where possible. I do not engage anyone personally in religious conversation, and most people probably have no idea what my beliefs actually are.

I go to church once in a while with my wife's family. I don't believe in the supernatural aspects of faith at all, but saying the words and singing along is not too much to endure to keep the peace. Nobody ever presses me, and I am not sure what would happen if they did. I say "Bless You" when people sneeze because it is a courtesy and a habit, and I don't really care that I don't believe there are actual blessings to be had.

To my knowledge, I have ruined exactly zero real life relationships with religious discussions, yet incensed countless people online. Internet bickering is the only evidence most people have of my beliefs on the topic.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

It's not belief or faith that bothers me, it is the proselytizing.

Someone's faith is irrelevant to me, but with some people, it always seems to come up, and I avoid those situations where possible. I do not engage anyone personally in religious conversation, and most people probably have no idea what my beliefs actually are.

I go to church once in a while with my wife's family. I don't believe in the supernatural aspects of faith at all, but saying the words and singing along is not too much to endure to keep the peace. Nobody ever presses me, and I am not sure what would happen if they did. I say "Bless You" when people sneeze because it is a courtesy and a habit, and I don't really care that I don't believe there are actual blessings to be had.

To my knowledge, I have ruined exactly zero real life relationships with religious discussions, yet incensed countless people online. Internet bickering is the only evidence most people have of my beliefs on the topic.
I personally find comfort in prayer. Again, that's the personal relationship that I feel that I have with my Lord. But like you, I don't find the proselytizing appealing. When my wife and I first moved to Houston, we visited a church. The next Sunday afternoon, they showed up at our apartment knocking on the door. Well, we had been arguing so when I answered the door, I lit into them about showing up unannounced and uninvited. It wasn't my intent, but I'm not a big fan of uninvited guests, regardless who they are.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

if there is already a thread for this kind of thing I didn't see one though.
I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed in the lack of responses since you were only able to include: religion, atheism, LGBTQ, evolution, football and Tua in your post. Please try to be more controversial next time.

Welcome to NS!! ;)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I'm only "turned off" by people who are involved with obviously, provably wrong faiths

Scientologist? 15 minutes online can show you how that is a load of garbage
Mormon? Ditto
any new age quantum whatever, same

The older stuff doesn't bother me unless it is waived in my face, held over my head or legislatively restricting my freedoms (looking at you alcohol laws/Georgia Baptists if you can't drink, don't do it but don't make me live up to your stories)

as the saying goes, Religion is like male genetalia. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my throat.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm only "turned off" by people who are involved with obviously, provably wrong faiths

Scientologist? 15 minutes online can show you how that is a load of garbage
Mormon? Ditto
any new age quantum whatever, same

The older stuff doesn't bother me unless it is waived in my face, held over my head or legislatively restricting my freedoms (looking at you alcohol laws/Georgia Baptists if you can't drink, don't do it but don't make me live up to your stories)

as the saying goes, Religion is like male genetalia. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my throat.
That's fair. And I seriously appreciate you adding Mormonism to Scientology because I've wondered for years why thats more acceptable than Scientology.

One thing I didn't mention is I am probably a little oversensitive to those who assume that I am christian. Because of the way I met my fiancee and how christian parts of my family are I am often just assumed to be christian. It's normally not a huge deal but when people ask me to lead prayer at a dinner or something it can get annoying. I realize its not meant in malice but hey, I'm human.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I personally find comfort in prayer. Again, that's the personal relationship that I feel that I have with my Lord. But like you, I don't find the proselytizing appealing. When my wife and I first moved to Houston, we visited a church. The next Sunday afternoon, they showed up at our apartment knocking on the door. Well, we had been arguing so when I answered the door, I lit into them about showing up unannounced and uninvited. It wasn't my intent, but I'm not a big fan of uninvited guests, regardless who they are.
in large part because if my upbringing, i don't like when folks are outspoken about their religion.

my comfort (at least the spiritual kind) comes from singing. prayer, not so much. unfortunately, my work/travel schedule makes it where i cannot sing in the choir except for summer choir (no rehearsals). i get to play and sing bluegrass/folk at church 2-3 times a year also.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Over on the football forum TomFromBama asked this question so I figured I might as well respond to it here. I apologize if there is already a thread for this kind of thing I didn't see one though.

Just for context this was the part of my post he was referring to

I have had plenty of conversations about this topic with other atheists but I don't want to speak for everyone so what follows is purely personal.

An individual believing in any religion doesn't inherently bother me. The fact that someone believes in M
uhammad, Jesus, Shiva, or just Moses is perfectly fine. I'm sure I will bring up Christianity more than the other religions in this mostly because it's what I've been exposed to the most not because I harbor any stronger feelings toward it than other religions. I've never been offended just by someones faith and in no way shape or form do I think someone is less qualified at something they are otherwise highly skilled at because of their religion.

Also, I'm doing my best here not to be offensive so I apologize if I DO in fact offend someone. Please point it out to me because frankly I'd like to know for future reference. I am also fully aware of the obnoxious atheists out there because there are plenty of them. I try really hard not to fall into that group of atheists who are unnecessarily antagonistic.

First, in Tua's case his religion doesn't impact my thoughts on him as a starting QB of any team I cheer for. However, it does impact my ability to connect with someone especially someone in a leadership role. For example, if I were a player on the team his religion would start to bother me or be more of a "turn off." Not necessarily because of what he believes but because of how large a part it plays in his personality and daily life. The more you talk about your religion on a daily basis the harder it is for me to connect with you on an individual level. Fortunately, for Tua I don't need to be his friend I can just root for him from afar. Plus he seems like a cool enough kid.

Part of it is simply that like minded people tend to get along better. I don't believe in a god so those who do and see that has a integral part of their lives are simply coming from a completely different world view than I am. The more important faith is to someones life the harder it is for me to connect with them. Also, the reality of being an atheist means that I don't believe in a god, any sort of after life, or a variety of other ideas that come from religion. And, I don't know that some of those who are religious realize how strongly their religion that impacts their world views on some pretty basic and commonly discussed topics. It just makes it hard to relate when you are coming from very different view points and accepted base facts. It's not just that I don't believe in god I also don't believe in a lot of the teaching within the Bible/those that have spawned from the Bible (*cough* LBGTQ issues *cough*). In fact my atheism originated from having issues with the specifics of religious teachings not the general idea of a god.

Another issue is simply that I am personally surrounded by people who are religious. I grew up in a very christian family, I work with 3 people who are all very involved in their church, I met my finacee at church so her entire family is also very religious. Basically, I hear someone talk about religion every day. That alone, isn't a huge deal to me but add in that it seems to come up in almost every topic I can think of. Then I go home and watch some football and there are players talking about god after big games or this or that. It just can be a lot at times for someone who doesn't believe in the same thing. (Just like how I'm sure some conservatives feel about certain liberal ideas).

Anyway this was written in probably about 20 minutes but with me working on it on and off a ton. Its probably a little pieced together, repetitive and is definitely an inadequate description but I figured it was a place to start for anyone that is interested. And I hope I somewhat answered TomFromBama's question.

So you don't like sitting down to watch football, which I assume you do so for entertainment purposes, and have to listen to someone's religious beliefs (because that's not what you sit down to watch football for)?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

in large part because if my upbringing, i don't like when folks are outspoken about their religion.

my comfort (at least the spiritual kind) comes from singing. prayer, not so much. unfortunately, my work/travel schedule makes it where i cannot sing in the choir except for summer choir (no rehearsals). i get to play and sing bluegrass/folk at church 2-3 times a year also.
Chris "Izzy" Cole found comfort singing in the church choir too. Just sayin'. When is Steel Dragon coming to H'town, btw?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

So you don't like sitting down to watch football, which I assume you do so for entertainment purposes, and have to listen to someone's religious beliefs (because that's not what you sit down to watch football for)?
Exactly. And like I said. I'm very aware with how that parralels with how some conservatives feel. The difference from some IMO is while I'm willing to talk about it bothering me I don't think players should be told to shut up and stick to football. I'm fine with them having religious beliefs. But it can be a little annoying when excessive.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Exactly. And like I said. I'm very aware with how that parralels with how some conservatives feel. The difference from some IMO is while I'm willing to talk about it bothering me I don't think players should be told to shut up and stick to football. I'm fine with them having religious beliefs. But it can be a little annoying when excessive.
I kept waiting for an Ole Miss player to say: "First of all, I want to thank God (and the alumni) for providing me the three or four honies that will be in my room tonight. Also for the booze, coke I'll be doin' off their (backsides) and for the cash my "handler" is laying on me."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I kept waiting for an Ole Miss player to say: "First of all, I want to thank God (and the alumni) for providing me the three or four honies that will be in my room tonight. Also for the booze, coke I'll be doin' off their (backsides) and for the cash my "handler" is laying on me."
I hear that’s what Mike Price prayed.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I agree though I maintain and have for years that the best thing Mike Dubose ever did was blame god for the loss to Tennessee. Hate it when he only gets credit for positives. If you are all in with jesus having a master plan you should understand that these plans often don't go your way. We need more of that type of behavior from Christians who wear it on their sleeve. God made me drop the winning touchdown, god told me to run cover 2 when facing 4 wides, etc.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I agree though I maintain and have for years that the best thing Mike Dubose ever did was blame god for the loss to Tennessee. Hate it when he only gets credit for positives. If you are all in with jesus having a master plan you should understand that these plans often don't go your way. We need more of that type of behavior from Christians who wear it on their sleeve. God made me drop the winning touchdown, god told me to run cover 2 when facing 4 wides, etc.
i can certainly see the logic in considering uga to be a modern day job

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I like this scene in Deep Impact. "I believe God hears all prayers, even if sometimes the answer is No." Strong.

A fantastic job by an avowed atheist too. ;)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Off topic but when Morgan Freeman speaks is there anyone who doesn't stop and listen?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Well, shortly after I got to the office this morning security came through. There are scores of cubicles, a dozen or so offices, four conference rooms, and a kitchen all in one big room in an office tower. It seems someone saw fit to take some kind of oil and mark crosses on many of the doors and cubes. Some people freaked out, the incident got reported, and wheels started turning to determine if the substance was chemical/biological. Six hours later we were allowed to return to work - just in time to answer emails and then go home.

To avoid a thread hijack, I blame a person of faith for this.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I still find it amusing that belief in God or gods or nothing (atheists), all have the same fatal flow. There had to be a beginning.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.