Recruits don't think Nick Saban is retiring soon.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
He keeps doing what he's been doing... Don't sleep on Dabo.
Bingo!

My guess is that Dabo has a zero buyout in his contract if Bama gives him a call...

He would practically crawl to Tuscaloosa for that job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just a couple of years the talk of Dabo to Bama was welcomed like a .... in the punchbowl.

It's been pretty shocking how even some naysayers have warmed to the idea.

FWIW, there're still some who don't want him, no matter what he continues to do at Clemson. But unless something changes, I'd be shocked if he's not the odds on favorite when CNS leaves.

There was a good article I read recently that basically said our AD will have to decide on two things on who the next coach is:

1. Keep the culture the same and that would likely rule out Dabo, but that leaves the big debate on who is really like CNS (answer: nobody) OR, 2: go with a more family oriented culture, which Dabo is known for (and what has worked for him at Clemson).

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Bingo!

My guess is that Dabo has a zero buyout in his contract if Bama gives him a call...

He would practically crawl to Tuscaloosa for that job.
Just curious....why do you feel so strongly?

Seems to me there’s no logical reason he would leave his current gig.

Emotional attachment to his alma mater might override, but it would be a case of heart winning out over brain.

So I’m just curious as to why you feel so strongly that that’s the way it would turn out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Emotional attachment to his alma mater might override, but it would be a case of heart winning out over brain.

So I’m just curious as to why you feel so strongly that that’s the way it would turn out.
He can probably stay at Clemson for years, even if they fall back to pack, based on what he's done.

But, I don't think anyone would doubt there is a draw to coaching at a place like UA (regardless of his connection as a player). And if CLM could win with CNS recruits for a few years, imagine what Dabo could do (and he's a great recruiter himself).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I'm not sure he would do it but in the great words of Coach Bryant "Mama called" and this would be one of the top choices as to why IMO.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
At some point the issue becomes Dabo's age and how attached he becomes to the job. If he does too well at Clemson, he might never want to leave. If he struggles, Alabama might not want him. It's a ticking clock sort of situation. I think in order for Dabo to end up with the job, Saban would have to be gone sooner rather than later. I don't think any of us want that.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
He can probably stay at Clemson for years, even if they fall back to pack, based on what he's done.

But, I don't think anyone would doubt there is a draw to coaching at a place like UA (regardless of his connection as a player). And if CLM could win with CNS recruits for a few years, imagine what Dabo could do (and he's a great recruiter himself).
Dabo or someone on that staff is doing a great job of evaluating and attracting offensive skilled players, DL and secondary. The OL and LBs have been ordinary. I think they depend on the other areas to compensate, especially a mobile QB masking the OL shortcomings.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
At some point the issue becomes Dabo's age and how attached he becomes to the job. If he does too well at Clemson, he might never want to leave. If he struggles, Alabama might not want him. It's a ticking clock sort of situation. I think in order for Dabo to end up with the job, Saban would have to be gone sooner rather than later. I don't think any of us want that.
It's unlikely that Clemson falls off the college football map in the next 4-5 years without some serious allegations/problems.

Dabo is 48. Even if CNS coaches another 7-10 years, Dabo would be in the neighborhood of how old CNS was when he came to Bama.

The real question is this: Before CNS retires (hopefully several years out), does a current young coach separate himself from the pact and win a championship or two while CNS is still coaching??? Outside of a Lincoln Riley or Kirby Smart (and that may be a stretch) I don't see that person out there right now who is trending in that direction and I don't think either of them would be likely replacements.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Dabo is 48. Even if CNS coaches another 7-10 years, Dabo would be in the neighborhood of how old CNS was when he came to Bama.
There's a big difference between 4-5 and 7-10. 10 would put Dabo at 58, quite old for a hire. Nick Saban was old when he was hired to, but he's Nick Saban. A lot of coaches don't really stick with it past their mid-60s.

But, 4-5 and 7-10 really represent the big difference to me. If we're talking 3-5 years, yeah Dabo is a serious consideration. But, you get past that? Not only does he get older, but if things are going well at Clemson we're talking about leaving a place he's worked at for over 20 years. It's the beyond 3 or 4 years part that I think becomes the challenge. Can he sustain success there for 5+ more years (look how fast Jimbo fell) and if he does how much would it take to get him to leave?

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
If Saban takes 10 years to retire Dabo might not get the call and some new up and comer could be it or a NFL coach again. I just want Saban as long as he wants to be here. What is crazy is that you see Bowden and Joe pa in the sense the game really passed them and they hurt the school. Saban is growing stronger the older he gets.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Dabo truly loves the Capstone...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm not sure he would do it but in the great words of Coach Bryant "Mama called" and this would be one of the top choices as to why IMO.
Exactly!

Like I said before, I would be surprised if his current contract doesn't include an escape clause for Bama...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.