Who decides that a QB get the label 'dual-threat'?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Can someone tell me what the criteria is for a 'dual-threat' QB? Cam Newton, IMO, was a true dual-threat as he could pass as well as run. A great many so-called dual-threats are really just running backs, it seems to me. Who decides if they are dual-threats or just running backs playing QB?

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Interesting.... My initial thought and first thing I would ask for is, is there a coach recruiting him as qb. After that I guess the normal course of evaluation. At the end of the day if somebody wants you on their team as a qb, then you are a qb.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Interesting.... My initial thought and first thing I would ask for is, is there a coach recruiting him as qb. After that I guess the normal course of evaluation. At the end of the day if somebody wants you on their team as a qb, then you are a qb.
I guess the recruiting services give them the designation since they give them the number of starts. I know there are always several dual-threats listed and I just wondered why so many of them turn out to be not so much dual-threats.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The flip side of that is there are some that are listed as pocket passers that can move with some speed and are not statues back there.
I have noticed that as well. It doesn't seem as big a deal, or at least people do not make it a big deal when the QB can't run. I suppose that is because we expect a QB to be passer and not a runner. It has gotten to the point that every time I hear we are offering a dual threat QB I think, "oh no."

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
An honest answer on this question would take us over to NS pretty darn quick.
I dunno. I mean, look at our recruiting. Stidham was rated a dual threat coming out of high school. He has serviceable legs and can do some good things when things break down, but he’s not a guy you want running an offense based on the read option. Same with one of our current commits for this next class, Pat Nix’s son Bo.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I always got irritated when announcers would call Zow the runner and Watts the passer. They obviously knew nothing about either except appearance.
I remember that too. Zow was the statue, Watts was the scrambler.

I also vaguely remember a joke from back then.

What would Tyler Watts ask Santa to bring him for Christmas?

Five more yards on his passes.

And Andrew Zow?

Five less.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's like I've never understood why the #1 place kickers or punters are never rated over 3*'s on recruiting sites..
Amen. Some kickers and punters are 4 and 5 star players. This has always puzzled me. Either pull them out of the star rating system altogether or spend enough time evaluating them to award them with an appropriate valuation.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If done correctly, I always thought it had more to do with how much the QB stayed in the pocket. If he really stays in the pocket and goes through his progressions, I'd think of him as pro style. If he's a scrambler, I'd think of him as a dual-threat quarterback. I guess that's still a bit inexact, but I think a lot of it doesn't come to do what the quarterback can do, but what he wants to do.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Amen. Some kickers and punters are 4 and 5 star players. This has always puzzled me. Either pull them out of the star rating system altogether or spend enough time evaluating them to award them with an appropriate valuation.
I agree 100% with ya my friend..We've all seen the importance of a PK or P in big games & they usually are the difference in all NC run's..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.