FL Teen's racist prom request...SMH

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't even understand how someone would come up with this idea especially at his age. The letter the parents wrote was decent I'm sure(hope) they are horrified.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
That’s just sad. Now, these are the people we should go after. The actual racists and not someone who voted for Trump. Buuuuut, that wont happen. He should be expelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Was it done on school property? If it was done on private property, I don't know how you expel him. It is free speech, no matter how distasteful. Unless there's something in their code of conduct about social media behavior or other things, I don't know how you handle it to be honest. His dad needs to knock the hades out of him though.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It sounds like the school and family decided that he won't be attending any school functions or whatever. I'd hope that's not the end of it from the family's perspective though.

Idk the rules on expulsion but I thought you could be expelled for things posted on social media nowadays. But I have no idea

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
If he had 20 or 30 more IQ points, he'd be drooling on himself and drawing stick figures on a wall with his own feces. But, he doesn't have 20 or 30 more IQ points, so he did this.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Was it done on school property? If it was done on private property, I don't know how you expel him. It is free speech, no matter how distasteful. Unless there's something in their code of conduct about social media behavior or other things, I don't know how you handle it to be honest. His dad needs to knock the hades out of him though.
I think this is the angle the college out in Cali took on the professor who unloaded on the deceased Barbare Bush to keep from disciplining her. "Well, she said it on her own time and on her own platform. So we really can't do anything." Yet people get fired from their jobs everyday for stuff they say or do on their own platform and on their own time. But ultimately, it is at the discretion of the employer or in this case the school.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think this is the angle the college out in Cali took on the professor who unloaded on the deceased Barbare Bush to keep from disciplining her. "Well, she said it on her own time and on her own platform. So we really can't do anything." Yet people get fired from their jobs everyday for stuff they say or do on their own platform and on their own time. But ultimately, it is at the discretion of the employer or in this case the school.
Yeah, I saw that. But I guarantee you, if she had made baseless accusations about Michelle Obama, using parallel wording, they would have found a way to fire her.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yeah, I saw that. But I guarantee you, if she had made baseless accusations with about Michelle Obama, using parallel wording, they would have found a way to fire her.
Probably so. I've come to learn life is packed full of double standards in almost all areas. Here's a good one that would have gotten me fired from my job if it were "the other way around". Me and another guy are the only two men in a department of 18-20 women. Last week we were sending boxes of dated files to storage. The boxes are heavy. Our supervisor came to our offices and asked "Could I get you two gentlemen to come move some boxes out to the hall so maintenance can pick up and take to storage?" We got up and started moving the boxes. As we were moving the boxes we both hear (from the female supervisor) "This is why I'm glad we've got two men in here. So they can move stuff for us." In our mind this was equivalent to us saying "I sure am glad we hired a few women so they can fix our coffee each morning."

No one batted an eye to what our supervisor said. But I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt you would've been able to hear a rat urinate on cotton if we would have said the male equivalent about making our coffee. Followed by a trip to HR.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Free speech would apply to a kid in a government run school or a professor in a government run college. Kicking a kid out of a government school for an opinion such as this would violate the 1st amendment.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Expelled? If this is the threshold for expulsion you'll have a lot of kids getting expelled.
If the consequences for voicing such absurdly inane, outdated, bigoted mindsets was this severe, perhaps we'd see less such voicing.

..And, just maybe, with much less voicing we'd see much less pervasion.

I was taking it as it was. That’s what I get for assuming. It is free speech. Thanks for correcting me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
If the consequences for voicing such absurdly inane, outdated, bigoted mindsets was this severe, perhaps we'd see less such voicing.

..And, just maybe, with much less voicing we'd see much less pervasion.
You can't kick kids out of school for assaulting classmates, cursing out teachers, or bringing drugs/alcohol to school and you want to kick them out for this?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Free speech doesn't mean there are no consequence. You are free to speak your mind but, you better be ready to pay the price. I wouldn't have had a problem if they had expelled him, plenty have been sent packing for less these days.
Agreed. However, I don't think the school has grounds to expel him is all I'm saying. Had I said something like that and posted it on FB, then my employer could have fired me since Texas is a right to work state anyway, and those remarks would have put the company in a bad light had they kept me employed. If the kid had a job, and the employer fired him, then kudos to the employer. I just don't think there's much recourse for the school unless it was on school grounds...but, I'm not a lawyer so who knows for sure. Regardless, it sounds like he's being punished as he should be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.