GM for a day: Who would you select for your favorite team?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Who would you like to see your favorite NFL team select with their first round pick tomorrow night? Assuming no trades and trying to make it somewhat reasonable. I know the Broncos would love to draft a QB, but Sam Darnold ain’t gonna be there at 12.

Personally, I’m a Packers fan and I think they need a CB or an edge rusher. If he’s there, I’d love to see them take Harold Landry. I think he’s the second-best edge guy in the draft and could end up being as good as Bradley Chubb. I’ve seen mocks where they take Marcus Davenport, but I’m not sold on him at all.

If Landry isn’t there, I hope they take a CB, preferably Josh Jackson out of Iowa. Jaire Alexander would be good, but he’s a little smaller than the Packers typically look for in CBs.

We could definitely use some new blood/depth on the OL, but it’s less of a need to me than CB or DE. Plus, other than McGlinchey who will probably be gone and Nelson who will definitely be gone, I don’t know if there’s really anybody worth taking with 14.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Depends on the need. Some "can't miss" guys in this draft are Barkley, Chubb, Nelson and Fitzpatrick.

IMO, none of the QBs are sure things, so I would take Mayfield if I needed one.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Ya know, I am not much of an NFL fan, at least not of any particular team. I tend to watch just to see how my Bama boys are doing in the big league, mostly. I have always had a slight leaning toward either the teams that in blue collar towns (Pittsburgh and Green Bay) or the nearest team geographically (Atlanta when I was growing up). So, I will pick for the Falcons, and make it a homer pick of DaRon Payne. They could use the help on the D line after free agency took a bit of a toll on that spot, and he is a player that really seems to come up big when it matters.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Ya know, I am not much of an NFL fan, at least not of any particular team. I tend to watch just to see how my Bama boys are doing in the big league, mostly. I have always had a slight leaning toward either the teams that in blue collar towns (Pittsburgh and Green Bay) or the nearest team geographically (Atlanta when I was growing up). So, I will pick for the Falcons, and make it a homer pick of DaRon Payne. They could use the help on the D line after free agency took a bit of a toll on that spot, and he is a player that really seems to come up big when it matters.
Payne and Dontari Poe could be a nightmare for anybody thinking about running between the tackles. The Falcons really don't have any glaring holes, so they have the luxury of drafting for depth.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Packers for me, I'd take a running back. I'm tired of them taking dB's first every year. They have a receiver as the starter at RB.
I'm tired of seeing DBs in the first round every year, too, but it's still a weakness. Hopefully Kevin King will make a leap this year. I was really pumped when they picked him last year.

I think they feel pretty good about one or two the RBs on the roster, particularly Aaron Jones. This is a deep draft at RB and I think they'll address it in the middle rounds. I saw one mock where they took Rashaad Penny out of San Diego State in the third round. That'd be a good get, IMO.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
In order I would draft (for the Redskins)

1. Baker Mayfield
2. Sam Darnold/Josh Rosen
3. Nelson
4. Minkah
5. Roquan
6. Derwin James
7. Denzel Ward
8. Edmunds

My most realistic dream pick is Minkah. Otherwise I'd love to trade back and grab Payne or Vita Vea.

My nightmare is they draft a RB in the 1st like Guice. (would love him in the 2nd but not the 1st)

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
In order I would draft (for the Redskins)

1. Baker Mayfield
2. Sam Darnold/Josh Rosen
3. Nelson
4. Minkah
5. Roquan
6. Derwin James
7. Denzel Ward
8. Edmunds

My most realistic dream pick is Minkah. Otherwise I'd love to trade back and grab Payne or Vita Vea.

My nightmare is they draft a RB in the 1st like Guice. (would love him in the 2nd but not the 1st)
you need to draft a new general manager and owner.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Bamafaninco1 and Catfish, I don't think we can be friends. ;)

Sarcasm aside, as a BEARS fan, I want them to pick who a lot of people are saying is the best player in the draft....Quentin Nelson. Big, strong, nasty and mean interior lineman to go with Whitehair and Long, YES, please. Jordan Howard may run for 1500+ yards with those three guys in front of him.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Saints fan...27th pick

I'm hoping Baker Mayfield slips, but I don't see it happening. I think he fits the system perfectly and would learn under Brees for at least a year. Brees has a 2 year deal, but the second is an option year.

I don't want them drafting Lamar Jackson, which has been rumored to be a possible choice.

Payne and R Evans could happen - I would be happy with either. I did see one projection that had us drafting Ridley. Wouldn't be my choice since we signed a WR from the Bears in FA.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Here's a 7-round mock draft from CBS Sports. The best part, IMO, is that it's broken down my team. They have my Packers getting Denzel Ward at 14. I don't think there's any way he's there at 14, but if he is I'd be doing cartwheels. They get Sam Hubbard in round two, who I really don't know much about. And, Anthony Miller in round three, but I'd bet everything I own that he doesn't last that long. More cartwheels if he is, though. I think he's going to be a stud.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...es-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
As a Saints fan I know we need a TE and there are two good ones out there (Hayden Hurst and Dallas Goedert) but with such a great draft class I would jump for joy if they traded up to get Mayfield or took a chance on Lamar Jackson at 27. I like Lamar a lot and think that either the Saints or the Steelers would be the perfect place for him to sit behind a HOFer and learn from the best. I kinda feel the same way about Baker Mayfield too.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Broncos Fan - 5th Pick

We have needs almost everywhere. D-Line, Interior O-Line, CB, RB, Future QB etc etc...

If we stay at #5 we are probably looking at either Bradley Chubb (DE) or 1 of 3 QB's in Mayfield, Allen, or Rosen.

I'm probably crazy but I think I'd take Baker Mayfield. He might be a total bust but he could also be the next Drew Brees.

If we trade down a few picks to around #8-12 I think we have a shot at either Denzel Ward or Minkah for a CB...

I obviously want Minkah in that scenario..... honestly I'd feel better with Minkah than Baker Mayfield. Though I believe that Broncos value Ward more right now....we'll see.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.