GM for a day: Who would you select for your favorite team?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Sounds like Baker Mayfield is going #1 overall to the Browns. So, anyone wanting him after that is out of luck.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE, forgive me - I don't mean to hijack the thread but I sorta hate to start a new thread. I'm NOT a fan of the NFL or of any NFL team - I hardly ever watch NFL games and don't know much about any of the teams. And I don't play "Fantasy Football".
-Really, my ONLY interest in the NFL is to occasionally check and see how former UA players are doing.

So this is probably a dumb question that's been beat to death - but do any "Fantasy Football" people ever select an all (or mostly) Alabama fantasy "team" to follow?

Sorry if this has been beaten to death elsewhere.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE, forgive me - I don't mean to hijack the thread but I sorta hate to start a new thread. I'm NOT a fan of the NFL or of any NFL team - I hardly ever watch NFL games and don't know much about any of the teams. And I don't play "Fantasy Football".
-Really, my ONLY interest in the NFL is to occasionally check and see how former UA players are doing.

So this is probably a dumb question that's been beat to death - but do any "Fantasy Football" people ever select an all (or mostly) Alabama fantasy "team" to follow?

Sorry if this has been beaten to death elsewhere.
I've tried it before for fun but its really kinda hard in a draft format. For example, it was near impossible to get Ingram, Cooper and Julio last year (at least in the one draft i tried).

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I wouldn't draft mayfield with your 10 foot pole. That dude reeks of BUST material.
I agree, but I can only speak as a college FB fan, and admitting my limited knowledge of the NFL, AND admitting that it's tough for me to be objective about Mayfield because I so strongly dislike his "persona".

Maybe he's a great guy with the termperment of succeed in the NFL, and maybe the image he projects during the games is all an act. (that was certainly the case with Deion Sanders back in the 1980's) But I'm thinking that his on-field image may not be that different than his actual personality (a-la Brian Bosworth or Johnny Manzeil).

That said, he strikes me as a near ideal college "RPO" QB, ESPECIALLY when facing very soft B-12 defenses, but not that likely to make the transition to NFL "Franchise" type player. Sorta like Manzeil.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Mayfield is insanely accurate. Pretty sure he grades out as the most or 2nd most accurate QB in this draft at every level of the field. He also has above average mobility for a QB and clear passion for the game. I'm not a QB guru but if you get comfortable with his personality idk why you wouldn't draft him.

I'd bet he ends up much closer to Brees/Wilson than Manziel.

Edit: By accuracy I don't just mean completion %. PFF did a more advanced look at accuracy by looking at ball placement and he is still the best in the class.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mayfield is insanely accurate. Pretty sure he grades out as the most or 2nd most accurate QB in this draft at every level of the field. He also has above average mobility for a QB and clear passion for the game. I'm not a QB guru but if you get comfortable with his personality idk why you wouldn't draft him.

Edit: By accuracy I don't just mean completion %. PFF did a more advanced look at accuracy by looking at ball placement and he is still the best in the class.
To add - Mayfield is the only QB in this crop that has had success against good defenses. The other QBs tanked every time they played a defense with a pulse. Some of that is tied to the players around them, but a lot of that is on the QB.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I agree. I REALLY don't like his personality, but I love his ability. And, as irritating as his personality is, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he's comparable to Manzeil as far as being self-destructive or a cancer to a team.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Raiders- R. Smith (LB) from Georgia. But if somehow some way S. Barkley dropped to #10, I'd snatch him up in a heart beat. We need a running game.
need a running back? yes.
going to draft a RB? not in the first round. the Raiders needs on D are far more than the need for a running back.
some how, some way Mack needs some help. big time. M. Edwards just has not developed and the secondary is just horrid. the LB situation has been bad for the last two years. which leaves me scratching my head. i would love for Minkah to drop down but that isn't going to happen. Vita Vea out of Washington is a popular pick with The Nation, but i just don't see him being that high on Chucky's board. rumor is if Chubb is still there at #5 the Raiders may trade up to take him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
need a running back? yes.
going to draft a RB? not in the first round. the Raiders needs on D are far more than the need for a running back.
some how, some way Mack needs some help. big time. M. Edwards just has not developed and the secondary is just horrid. the LB situation has been bad for the last two years. which leaves me scratching my head. i would love for Minkah to drop down but that isn't going to happen. Vita Vea out of Washington is a popular pick with The Nation, but i just don't see him being that high on Chucky's board. rumor is if Chubb is still there at #5 the Raiders may trade up to take him.
We've signed via free agency several players to fill the secondary. Just getting one last week. So I do not think (after doing this) we need to use our first round pick on a secondary player. I wouldn't be upset if we picked D Payne. Maybe a reach on some mock draft boards, but I think Payne is going to be a very good pro player.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
First off, I've been cursed to be a Jets fan since I was a kid and Namath signed with them and was playing on TV it seemed every Sunday in the old AFL. It has been a long hard road since then, but I never really shook the fandom of the Jets. That said, I suppose I should be content with the way last night worked out, because I was fearful of having a team with Baker Mayfield as my QB. He may turn out to be a great player, but i just don't want t have to cheer for him.

Barring trades, the Jets are out of the 2nd round and their next pick will be in the 3rd round, 72nd overall. If I had my preference, they would go after the best player available, but if it is close, take a good offensive lineman. Either tackle, center, or guard, but someone who grades well. If there is not a player who is justified at that spot, a WR or TE would be the next best choice IMO.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.