Fortune Magazine once again tabs Coach Saban as one of the World’s Greatest Leaders

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
This is kinda sad if you think about it.
Agreed. I think Coach Saban is one of the world's greatest leaders but 12 out of most of those folks is not an honor. My son has graduated from the most severe schools and is now the commanding officer of a high speed unit in the 1st Marine Division. He convinces young people to not only go down range and set explosives, but go back down range and manually detonate them when they don't go boom like they're supposed to. He didn't appear on the list. He's one of the world's true bad dudes. Weak list. Coach Saban excepted.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
At first i thought it was cool to see him high on this list. But then you get to the top of the list and it lists as the number 1 greatest leaders in the world - The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas. Don't get me wrong - they went through a harrowing experience. But their actions after the fact didn't exactly warrant "greatest leader in the world status".

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think Coach Saban is one of those individuals who would be successful in any endeavor he chooses. He has a laser like attention to detail and a work ethic second to none. This to me does not make him a world leader. His success or failure as the head football coach at a major university really does nothing to benefit the world.
His and Mrs. Terry's foundation (Nick's Kids) has more of a benefit than winning football championships.
Heck, I vote for him to be the pope or king if it was left up to me, but I'm glad we've got him as our coach!

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I think Coach Saban is one of those individuals who would be successful in any endeavor he chooses. He has a laser like attention to detail and a work ethic second to none. This to me does not make him a world leader. His success or failure as the head football coach at a major university really does nothing to benefit the world.
His and Mrs. Terry's foundation (Nick's Kids) has more of a benefit than winning football championships.
Heck, I vote for him to be the pope or king if it was left up to me, but I'm glad we've got him as our coach!
Well, I agree to a point. But he's also a teacher and a molder of young minds. I suspect he's had a great deal of affect and even benefit to "the world" because of all the people he's made into better adults for having studied under his leadership.

Maybe its not "earth shaking" but then again, I suspect it is more than 99% of us will achieve.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm glad coach got recognized, and I do believe he's one of the best leaders in any field, anywhere.

But Fortune's list is too trendy and way too variable from year to year to have real credibility.

True leadership is built over time -- often decades -- aand extends through cycles. It perseveres through economic cycles, prevailing trends in thought, or any other type of cycle.

Fortune's list looks as though it were copied off of the top news stories of the last few months.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I like CNS as much as anyone , but that list is a joke !
I'm not going to call any names, since that would lead to me seriously breaking board rules, which I do Not want to do.

But IMO that list is a very "mixed bag". Clearly, there are many really noteworthy leaders on that list. But there seems to be nearly as many "trendy" entries that frankly, are "baloney" (to use an acceptable term), and even a few really horrible people. :confused:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.