Blake Barnett transferring again

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Barnett had the best throw of any Bama QB in 2016. I forget the game, but it was a beauty. He could wing it. He just wasn't consistent and had some issues with dealing with adversity.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Well, I may be the only one, but I actually feel sorry for the guy.

He's been LIED TO at Every place he's been.

He signed with Alabama, certainly under the assumption that we would keep running a pro-style offense AND that he'd get a fair shot at the job. Both turned out to be LIES.

Then he transfers to Az State certainly under the assumption that the position coach who recruited him, OC Chip Lindsey, would be his QB coach and Az St. would be running an offense suited to his skill set - again, All LIES. Lindsey bailed on Az.St. about "15 minutes" after the ink was dry on Barnett's transfer, and the HC who recruited Barnett, Todd Graham, was fired months later - Nov. 2017.

FWIW, I imagine Barnett is probably an arrogant jerk. I suspect more than a few HS QB's who win the Elite 11 competition are.
But would you wish that sort of treatment on anyone?
Would you still dis' him as a "quitter" if it was YOUR SON who had been treated that way?.

(Disclosure - Blake Barnett is NOT any relation to me, and in fact I've never even met him - so save the "Thanks, Momma Barnett" replies!!! LOL!!! ;) )

Oh! And "as per usual" - Flame Away! :p
How do you figure he didn't get a fair shot?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
as much as I hate it, maurice smith did well at UGA. Starter, team captain, got an free agent deal.

Kendall Sheffield is doing ok at OSU

Christian Bell is kinda a transfer and played as a freshman at wisconsin

Burgess-Becker had a good contribution to UCF and will likely start next year

Adonis Thomas started a couple of games for FSU.
Dee Hart is someone who did really well. Went to CSU his final year and had like 1,400+ Total yards for McElwain. He's one of the guys that left the right way and I was glad to see him find some success.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Barnett had the best throw of any Bama QB in 2016. I forget the game, but it was a beauty. He could wing it. He just wasn't consistent and had some issues with dealing with adversity.
It was in the second half of the USC game after the game was secure.

I don't know if I'd say it was the best of the whole season, but I remember the one you are talking about...a deep pass over the middle that was on a rope.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just took a look at that video of the USC game.

It's clear he has the arm talent. He did something in that game that I'm not sure Jalen ever did: look off a safety.

I know nobody likes how he exited, but I personally hope he finds a situation that fits him and can play. No need to wish him failure, unless he somehow ended up playing us, which would be fun.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
When Barnett transferred there were reports that his parents encouraged him to do so. Now Jalen Hurts' Dad has specifically said that Hurts will transfer if he isn't the starter. Pretty much demanding it "or else". I wonder if the ill feeling toward Jalen if (when?) that happens will be the same as toward Barnett. I guess we'll probably see.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
When Barnett transferred there were reports that his parents encouraged him to do so. Now Jalen Hurts' Dad has specifically said that Hurts will transfer if he isn't the starter. Pretty much demanding it "or else". I wonder if the ill feeling toward Jalen if (when?) that happens will be the same as toward Barnett. I guess we'll probably see.
That's a stretch.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
That's a stretch.
Ok then, but that's not the point of the question. Jalen's Dad did, though, make a specific statement about it whereas Barnett's parents did not. Still, they reportedly encouraged it. Not sure whether that does or does not reflect more poorly on Barnett.

That aside, and if you prefer, I'll will ask it like this...

If Jalen Hurts transfers will the ill feelings toward him be the same as the ill feelings toward Barnett? Will all those who trashed Barnett then trash Jalen later if he transfers?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I have no idea.

The issue with Barnett was leaving mid season. If Hurts does that, then yeah, people will be upset. If he leaves next month or after the season I don't expect that kind of backlash.

Hurts has built up much more capital with fans than Barnett ever did.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I have no idea.

The issue with Barnett was leaving mid season. If Hurts does that, then yeah, people will be upset. If he leaves next month or after the season I don't expect that kind of backlash.

Hurts has built up much more capital with fans than Barnett ever did.
But if it happens, both will have been quitters. Personally, I think in this day and age, that's an unreasonable assumption or label, because those who were blue chip athletes out of high school expect to play. Personally, as previously noted, I think it would be in the best interest of Hurts and our team if he leaves now, and yes, I realize the implications of having only 2 qbs during the season. If we got down to a 3rd, we may be playing a kid that was a qb in high school but now playing another position.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
And yet, he had better numbers than Jalen through the first 4 games of the 2016, when considered on a "per play" basis. For all this "deer in the headlights" talk, the reality is, he outplayed Jalen in the first two games, but it didn't matter. By week 3 the "competition" was over. Jalen got all the snaps at Ole Miss, and BB didnt' get another "meaningful" snap at UA. I've posted the numbers before, and been Insulted and "flamed" for daring to mention it. But it's all there for anyone who cares to look it up.

After the Ole Miss game, Jalen had been "Crowned" the Next "Deshaun Watson" by the media AND by the fans - And I'm NOT saying he didn't play GREAT. But if you look back, you will see LOTS of what eventually "Came home to roost" with Jalen - lots of shot screens and tosses BEHIND the LOS, a few long passes against blown coverage with no defender within 10 yards of our receiver, and lots of yards running when the opposing defense was in Man Coverage. ALL stuff that DISAPPEARED once opposing Defenses started Keying on it. (Starting with the LSu game in 2016, a story that was repeated against Clem in the 2016 NC game, then against MSU, aub and UGa last fall)

So when real adversity struck our offense the past two years . . . .

How do you figure he didn't get a fair shot?
Compared to any other "QB Competition" that Nick Saban has overseen at Alabama, BB got fewer chances than any other "#2". He still posted better "per-play" numbers than Jalen, but never got another "meaningful" snap after the first quarter in the USCw game.
Heck - look at AJ and Philip Sims back in 2011 - AJ utterly dominated statistically going back to Sping camp and A-Day, yet Sims got plenty of chances - over 1/3 of the pass attempts in the opener.
There was no competition in 2014 - Coker was vastly out-performed by Blake Sims all fall camp.
But look at 2015. Yes, the competition ended - decisively - in week three, but how much meaningful PT did Bateman get?
Almost 1/3 of the snaps in the opener, over 1/3 in week 2, and he even started in week 3.... before crashing and Coker winning the job decisively.

2016? Not even close to 1/3 of the offensive snaps in the first two games. Zero snaps in the Ole Miss game - and at that point, ANY rational person would have known that the "Competition" was over (All us fans certainly knew that Hurts was the starter, didn't we?) - BB got several series in the Kent St. blowout the next week, but at that point it was clearly just "Window dressing" and everyone knew the decision had been made.

Against Kent St. Barnett didn't see the ball until the game was well in hand - 24-0. The snaps BB did get looked a lot like JH's first half at A-day last weekend - zero blocking by the OL, Zero effort by WR's to catch passes - one shotgun snap even hit the RB crossing in motion. Every player knew Saban had decided, and NO effort was made to play hard for the "Backup".

Flame away - I was there and saw it.

After that game BB decided to transfer, and was forever labeled a "quitter" because he did IN FACT quit on the team. That's on him.
But what did he really "quit" on? - basically just a chance to ride the bench the rest of the season.

FWIW, and just "IMO", the "Competition" in 2016 was never REALLY between JH and BB, but More so between "Pro-Style" vs. "Read-Option".

For those keeping score at home - for Nick Saban's Alabama teams - "Read Option" is 0-1 in NC games, and "Pro-style" is 5-0.
Just sayin.....

Roll Tide, and as always, "Flame away"! :cool2:

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
If BB left at the end of the season he would not be the recipient of so much ridicule on this site.
I agree with that, and not only on this board, but on any board and in the Bama Nation wide. It was, though, a business decision to get the most playing time. It actually worked for him in spite of the fact he left after the third game. He was eligible the first game of the next season, but as noted by another poster I think in this thread, that didn't work out at AZ due to various factors, including the OC that basically recruuited him leaving before the season.

Barnett isn't my worry anymore. I'm looking forward to Tua Time in the SEC.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
That's not at all what he said.
As previously noted, not really the point.

"Ok then, but that's not the point of the question. Jalen's Dad did, though, make a specific statement about it whereas Barnett's parents did not. Still, they reportedly encouraged it. Not sure whether that does or does not reflect more poorly on Barnett.

That aside, and if you prefer, I'll will ask it like this...

If Jalen Hurts transfers will the ill feelings toward him be the same as the ill feelings toward Barnett? Will all those who trashed Barnett then trash Jalen later if he transfers"

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If Jalen Hurts transfers will the ill feelings toward him be the same as the ill feelings toward Barnett? Will all those who trashed Barnett then trash Jalen later if he transfers?
If he leaves in the middle of the season, leaving the team potentially in a lurch, then he's half the man I thought he was and would share a similar disdain.

That said, I don't think that's the kind of man JH is.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
If he leaves in the middle of the season, leaving the team potentially in a lurch, then he's half the man I thought he was and would share a similar disdain.

That said, I don't think that's the kind of man JH is.
And it should also be noted that it was Jalen's Dad made the comments, and not Jalen himself. In fact, he may have regretted it.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
And yet, he had better numbers than Jalen through the first 4 games of the 2016, when considered on a "per play" basis. For all this "deer in the headlights" talk, the reality is, he outplayed Jalen in the first two games, but it didn't matter. By week 3 the "competition" was over. Jalen got all the snaps at Ole Miss, and BB didnt' get another "meaningful" snap at UA. I've posted the numbers before, and been Insulted and "flamed" for daring to mention it. But it's all there for anyone who cares to look it up.

After the Ole Miss game, Jalen had been "Crowned" the Next "Deshaun Watson" by the media AND by the fans - And I'm NOT saying he didn't play GREAT. But if you look back, you will see LOTS of what eventually "Came home to roost" with Jalen - lots of shot screens and tosses BEHIND the LOS, a few long passes against blown coverage with no defender within 10 yards of our receiver, and lots of yards running when the opposing defense was in Man Coverage. ALL stuff that DISAPPEARED once opposing Defenses started Keying on it. (Starting with the LSu game in 2016, a story that was repeated against Clem in the 2016 NC game, then against MSU, aub and UGa last fall)

So when real adversity struck our offense the past two years . . . .

Compared to any other "QB Competition" that Nick Saban has overseen at Alabama, BB got fewer chances than any other "#2". He still posted better "per-play" numbers than Jalen, but never got another "meaningful" snap after the first quarter in the USCw game.
Heck - look at AJ and Philip Sims back in 2011 - AJ utterly dominated statistically going back to Sping camp and A-Day, yet Sims got plenty of chances - over 1/3 of the pass attempts in the opener.
There was no competition in 2014 - Coker was vastly out-performed by Blake Sims all fall camp.
But look at 2015. Yes, the competition ended - decisively - in week three, but how much meaningful PT did Bateman get?
Almost 1/3 of the snaps in the opener, over 1/3 in week 2, and he even started in week 3.... before crashing and Coker winning the job decisively.

2016? Not even close to 1/3 of the offensive snaps in the first two games. Zero snaps in the Ole Miss game - and at that point, ANY rational person would have known that the "Competition" was over (All us fans certainly knew that Hurts was the starter, didn't we?) - BB got several series in the Kent St. blowout the next week, but at that point it was clearly just "Window dressing" and everyone knew the decision had been made.

Against Kent St. Barnett didn't see the ball until the game was well in hand - 24-0. The snaps BB did get looked a lot like JH's first half at A-day last weekend - zero blocking by the OL, Zero effort by WR's to catch passes - one shotgun snap even hit the RB crossing in motion. Every player knew Saban had decided, and NO effort was made to play hard for the "Backup".

Flame away - I was there and saw it.

After that game BB decided to transfer, and was forever labeled a "quitter" because he did IN FACT quit on the team. That's on him.
But what did he really "quit" on? - basically just a chance to ride the bench the rest of the season.

FWIW, and just "IMO", the "Competition" in 2016 was never REALLY between JH and BB, but More so between "Pro-Style" vs. "Read-Option".

For those keeping score at home - for Nick Saban's Alabama teams - "Read Option" is 0-1 in NC games, and "Pro-style" is 5-0.
Just sayin.....

Roll Tide, and as always, "Flame away"! :cool2:

Let's lay off the repeated "Flame away" comments. Stop looking for a fight.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.