Blake Barnett transferring again

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
When Barnett transferred there were reports that his parents encouraged him to do so. Now Jalen Hurts' Dad has specifically said that Hurts will transfer if he isn't the starter. Pretty much demanding it "or else". I wonder if the ill feeling toward Jalen if (when?) that happens will be the same as toward Barnett. I guess we'll probably see.
Is that characterization a "Stretch"? Well, lets see what the father actually said, as reported in the media:

" “Coach Saban’s job is to do what’s best for his team. I have no problem with that,” Averion Hurts said. “My job is to do what’s best for Jalen — and make no mistake, Jalen is a quarterback, and he wants to play quarterback. He loves Alabama, loves Coach Saban and everything about that place. But he wants to play, and he will play …”

Averion stops mid-sentence because the idea of his son not playing for Alabama isn’t one he takes lightly. What if Jalen doesn’t win the job, he is asked?

He shakes his head slowly, answers begrudgingly. “Well, he’d be the biggest free agent in college football history.”
"

I don't know - sounds pretty cut and dried to me. Jalen plays "OR ELSE"......

I do wonder how Jalen will be treated by the fans if he's gone come August 1? (FWIW, I don't expect that will happen)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Sorry - force of habit I guess. It seems to happen quite often when I stray outside the chalk lines of popular opinion.

I'll try to remember not to say that any more.
Straying outside the chalk lines of popular opinion is fine. Intentionally flame-baiting is not.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Well, I may be the only one, but I actually feel sorry for the guy.

He's been LIED TO at Every place he's been.

He signed with Alabama, certainly under the assumption that we would keep running a pro-style offense AND that he'd get a fair shot at the job. Both turned out to be LIES.

Then he transfers to Az State certainly under the assumption that the position coach who recruited him, OC Chip Lindsey, would be his QB coach and Az St. would be running an offense suited to his skill set - again, All LIES. Lindsey bailed on Az.St. about "15 minutes" after the ink was dry on Barnett's transfer, and the HC who recruited Barnett, Todd Graham, was fired months later - Nov. 2017.

FWIW, I imagine Barnett is probably an arrogant jerk. I suspect more than a few HS QB's who win the Elite 11 competition are.
But would you wish that sort of treatment on anyone?
Would you still dis' him as a "quitter" if it was YOUR SON who had been treated that way?.

(Disclosure - Blake Barnett is NOT any relation to me, and in fact I've never even met him - so save the "Thanks, Momma Barnett" replies!!! LOL!!! ;) )

Oh! And "as per usual" - Flame Away! :p
I can't remember, but were our intentions to never run a pro style offense in 2016 or did the type offense we ended up with was a result of who ended up being our starting QB?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We don't know what went on in practice. Its possible that Barnett didn't show enough in practice to deserve a meaningful shot and more game time. To say he didn't have a fair seems silly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Y’all are making me long for the days when we had two relatively incompetent QBs with rare flashes of ability, one white (Watts) and one black (Zow), and the whole thing became a bit of a racial thing.

Not really. I don’t miss those days at all. But I DO miss the times when players were far less likely to bolt on the basis of “if I ain’t starting, I’m departing.”

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Y’all are making me long for the days when we had two relatively incompetent QBs with rare flashes of ability, one white (Watts) and one black (Zow), and the whole thing became a bit of a racial thing.

Not really. I don’t miss those days at all. But I DO miss the times when players were far less likely to bolt on the basis of “if I ain’t starting, I’m departing.”
Welcome to modern day sports culture. Glad you could make it to the party. :biggrin2:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm not really bothered by guys transferring as most have left the 'right way' and on pretty good terms.

The exceptions being Maurice Smith, Kendall Sheffield, and Blake Barnett. They all bolted on the cusp of/or during a season and effectively took practice reps away from the teammates they left behind.

They were quitters..... they quit.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, I may be the only one, but I actually feel sorry for the guy.

He's been LIED TO at Every place he's been.

He signed with Alabama, certainly under the assumption that we would keep running a pro-style offense AND that he'd get a fair shot at the job. Both turned out to be LIES.

Then he transfers to Az State certainly under the assumption that the position coach who recruited him, OC Chip Lindsey, would be his QB coach and Az St. would be running an offense suited to his skill set - again, All LIES. Lindsey bailed on Az.St. about "15 minutes" after the ink was dry on Barnett's transfer, and the HC who recruited Barnett, Todd Graham, was fired months later - Nov. 2017.

FWIW, I imagine Barnett is probably an arrogant jerk. I suspect more than a few HS QB's who win the Elite 11 competition are.
But would you wish that sort of treatment on anyone?
Would you still dis' him as a "quitter" if it was YOUR SON who had been treated that way?.

(Disclosure - Blake Barnett is NOT any relation to me, and in fact I've never even met him - so save the "Thanks, Momma Barnett" replies!!! LOL!!! ;) )

Oh! And "as per usual" - Flame Away! :p
According to the Oxford dictionary, the definition of a lie is: "An intentionally false statement." Not one situation you've set out above fits that definition. Changed circumstances cannot create a lie in retrospect...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saying "If my kid isn't able to play at his current school he will go somewhere where he can get playing time" isn't "Demanding he be the starter OR ELSE!"
But he didn't leave because he wasn't getting playing time. He was the 2nd team QB and was getting playing time. He just wasn't starting.

BB quit on the team and left because his ego was bruised when he failed to retain the job as starter.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
But he didn't leave because he wasn't getting playing time. He was the 2nd team QB and was getting playing time. He just wasn't starting.

BB quit on the team and left because his ego was bruised when he failed to retain the job as starter.
The quote was in reference to Jalen Hurts' father, not BB's.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

The odd thing about that one was, and I hope I do not get into trouble for this one, one of them was more of a passing QB while the other was more of a running QB. And the roles of the two were not what you would expect. And I did so hate to see that one even get a hint of a racial versus a QB question. Personally, I preferred Zow, because I wanted to see us pass more. But Watts did seem to have a bit of a warrior mentality to him. Kid seemed to never give up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.